U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:35 PM

44 posts, read 12,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Because they're American and likely do not have significsnt cultural (such as linguistic or religious) differences that would lead to forming an enclave
I agree. I moved here on my own to escape LA. I'm not from there but I wanted to start over and someone asked if I ever thought of New York. I found a place that I could "afford" which of course is a joke but I didn't look for little California or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM

20,268 posts, read 21,857,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Yeah right! They are getting ready, bru!

CD Data in 50 years will be:

Ni Hao Oycrumbler

Ni Hao Mr.Ryu.
Yea, and we'll be hunting down all those falun gong folks here for points.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,110,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Yeah right! They are getting ready, bru!

CD Data in 50 years will be:

Ni Hao Oycrumbler

Ni Hao Mr.Ryu.
Just watch, when Baidu announces it'll serve the American markets, that's when you know the future is here.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So some religions are more special than others? And what are ethnic needs?

Man I'm having a blast today
Absolutely, a practicing Hindu or a Hassidic Jew would have more religious needs than an atheist or barely observant Christian.

Ethnic needs would be grocery stores that serve a given immigrant group, such as an Indian grocery store.

I feel like you know this but are trying to be oppositional for fun.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeitsnevertoolate View Post
I agree. I moved here on my own to escape LA. I'm not from there but I wanted to start over and someone asked if I ever thought of New York. I found a place that I could "afford" which of course is a joke but I didn't look for little California or anything.
Of course. I don't think US born people who are into urban cities are that different regardless of what part of the country they were born in

Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM

23,293 posts, read 16,166,240 times
Quote:
Uh that's the point? They don't have any linguistic/religious barriers being that they speak English and are likely either atheists or non observant Christians/Jews.

And the Midwest is far from homogenous anyway, Chicago is very diverse for instance.

Everything I said made perfect sense
You made perfect sense.

I think the talk about racial/ethnic issues is more hurtful to Seventh than he wants to acknowledge, and as the moderator he has to read this stuff when the rest of us if we are annoyed can just not post on City Data.

Also it's clear than the whole "transplant" thing is really that first or second generation Americans are jealous of white Americans who are much more mobile than they are, have higher levels of education, have more opportunities, etc.

But discussing those root problems seems to be difficult for people who would rather speak in code.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM

23,293 posts, read 16,166,240 times
Quote:
Absolutely, a practicing Hindu or a Hassidic Jew would have more religious needs than an atheist or barely observant Christian.

Ethnic needs would be grocery stores that serve a given immigrant group, such as an Indian grocery store.

I feel like you know this but are trying to be oppositional for fun.
Observant Jews have to eat Kosher food, will need access to a synagogue, will want to make sure there are Jewish schools nearby, etc. Hindus may also want to be close to a Hindu temple, may want to eat Indian foods, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You made perfect sense.

I think the talk about racial/ethnic issues is more hurtful to Seventh than he wants to acknowledge, and as the moderator he has to read this stuff when the rest of us if we are annoyed can just not post on City Data.

Also it's clear than the whole "transplant" thing is really that first or second generation Americans are jealous of white Americans who are much more mobile than they are, have higher levels of education, have more opportunities, etc.

But discussing those root problems seems to be difficult for people who would rather speak in code.
Thank you. I find it hard to believe that he doesn't understand that a Hindu or Sikh Indian would have more specific ethnic related needs than an atheist or barely religious intra-US transplant.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Observant Jews have to eat Kosher food, will need access to a synagogue, will want to make sure there are Jewish schools nearby, etc. Hindus may also want to be close to a Hindu temple, may want to eat Indian foods, etc.
Exactly!

Observant Jews most likely need to be walking distance from a synogogue, while a US born hipster transplant will likely have no needs other than having a convenient commute to work.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,247,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of Chinese have come here because of disagreement with or dislike of the CCP. Their kids raised here certainly don't have any special love for it. It's not like they're ants with antennas waiting for the signal.
Quality of life is better than China and getting away from overbearing parents/studying abroad was the cool thing to do. Many of the chinese who arrive don't have much barriers in terms of getting a high paying job and immigrating via EB-2 process. America really likes to stick it to poor immigrants, but rolls out the carpet if you have money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City