Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970's there were gay bars all over the UES/Yorktown neighborhood. Now only one tired old warhorse left: THE TOOL BOX, on Second Avenue, a tiny little joint I've been to only once, on New Years Eve.

So I just stumbled on a Times article that mentioned BOXERS, a gay sports bar opening on Third Avenue, between 93rd and 94th. I am not a sportsman type but I am having a good wallow with the World Cup so perhaps this weekend I will check it out. They advertise a lot of 2 for 1 nights, and that plays right to my frugality...and thirst.
If this place were any closer it would be in my building.

This was the former short lived location of BRICK LANE CURRY HOUSE, a pretty Indian restaurant/bar, which flopped in short order and then something else afterwards which escapes my memory.

Everybody needs a local watering hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I've been to the original Boxers location on 20th near 6th avenue and the one in Hell's Kitchen. They're generally fun and you don't have to be a sports enthusiast to enjoy the place. I'm not.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
I'm a fan of Boxers HK when the patio is open during the daytime.

The night crowd has gotten a little... thuggish of late. Since Ritz started charging cover the thug life crowd has moved to Boxers.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I've been to the old Boxers, it's pretty fun and I wouldn't say it's required to be really into sports to enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,177 times
Ahhh, Boxers.

Haven't been to the Upper East Side one as of yet. Should check it out since it's close to home. Usually trek to Hell's Kitchen every Thursday for game night; however, I haven't been in months due to the RuPaul showings.

I don't wanna hear hoes yapping about what's going on when I'm not caught up. Once RuPaul finishes airing, I'll go back for the gaymer nights.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Back in the 1970's there were gay bars all over the UES/Yorktown neighborhood. Now only one tired old warhorse left: THE TOOL BOX, on Second Avenue, a tiny little joint I've been to only once, on New Years Eve.

So I just stumbled on a Times article that mentioned BOXERS, a gay sports bar opening on Third Avenue, between 93rd and 94th. I am not a sportsman type but I am having a good wallow with the World Cup so perhaps this weekend I will check it out. They advertise a lot of 2 for 1 nights, and that plays right to my frugality...and thirst.

This was the former short lived location of BRICK LANE CURRY HOUSE, a pretty Indian restaurant/bar, which flopped in short order and then something else afterwards which escapes my memory.

They are also opening one on the Washington Heights/Hamilton Heights border.

https://patch.com/new-york/washingto...ights-location

Ill see you there, you big silly billy!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Ahhh, Boxers.

Haven't been to the Upper East Side one as of yet. Should check it out since it's close to home. Usually trek to Hell's Kitchen every Thursday for game night; however, I haven't been in months due to the RuPaul showings.

I don't wanna hear hoes yapping about what's going on when I'm not caught up. Once RuPaul finishes airing, I'll go back for the gaymer nights.
What in the heck are "gaymer" nights?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What in the heck are "gaymer" nights?
My guess is you play gaymes that night

Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Do gaybars allow straights into them, or gay strictly?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Do gaybars allow straights into them, or gay strictly?

Of course they do.
And you know the old joke, "What is the difference between a straight man and a gay man?"

Ans.: " A six pack of Bud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City