U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,797,634 times

Advertisements

For sure, the neighborhood is gentrifying. Good thing they designated it as "Little Haiti" before it completely gentrified!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 10:23 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,561,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
For sure, the neighborhood is gentrifying. Good thing they designated it as "Little Haiti" before it completely gentrified!
Is that really gonna stop any white people from moving there?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
West Flatbush. Flatbush east of Flatbush Ave is still around 90% Black!
True. I notice a gradient where the neighborbood gets more black the further you get from Coney Island Ave. While East of Flatbush Ave like you said feels like East Flatbush demographically.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is that really gonna stop any white people from moving there?
No, it's not.

What I mean it, good thing they designated it Little Haiti before it COMPLETELY became NOT Little Haiti (because it will become that way in the next several years)

Old 07-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

What I mean it, good thing they designated it Little Haiti before it COMPLETELY became NOT Little Haiti (because it will become that way in the next several years)

True, but enclaves come and go anyway. Little Italy is basically just a tourist trap now. And The Bronx one also seems to be for local tourists rather than a true Little Italy.

As for that part of Flatbush though, I think the larger demographic change will be more Mexicans and South Asians. But that's just my guess.

I also think there are a lot of places that will remain Little Haitis for a long time, such as Elmont and Baldwin.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
True, but enclaves come and go anyway. Little Italy is basically just a tourist trap now. And The Bronx one also seems to be for local tourists rather than a true Little Italy.

As for that part of Flatbush though, I think the larger demographic change will be more Mexicans and South Asians. But that's just my guess.

There are already lots of Mexicans there. But the neighborhood will become more white, just like Ditmas Park, PLG, Crown Heights, etc.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
There are already lots of Mexicans there. But the neighborhood will become more white, just like Ditmas Park, PLG, Crown Heights, etc.
Probably, but I predict that the Latino/Asian population increase in Eastern Flatbush (not East Flatbush) will be more notable in the coming years than the increase in whites.

It"s not like white people live in the entirety of those neighborhoods in large numbers. Even the area by the Church Ave Q station is overwhelmingly nonwhite still.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Probably, but I predict that the Latino/Asian population increase in Eastern Flatbush (not East Flatbush) will be more notable in the coming years than the increase in whites.

It"s not like white people live in the entirety of those neighborhoods in large numbers. Even the area by the Church Ave Q station is overwhelmingly nonwhite still.
The area by the Church Avenue Q station IS Flatbush. That's what we are talking about.
It is currently mostly black, but white people are moving in and will continue to move in.

Ditmas Park is mostly white at this point (at least it seems so to me).

PLG is getting significantly white (a significant minority).

Crown Heights has seen a huge influx of white residents.

There are Asians in Kensington along Coney Island Avenue and Church Avenue and further down, Cortelyou, etc, but I don't necessarily see them moving into Flatbush as much as white people.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The area by the Church Avenue Q station IS Flatbush. That's what we are talking about.
It is currently mostly black, but white people are moving in and will continue to move in.

Ditmas Park is mostly white at this point (at least it seems so to me).

PLG is getting significantly white (a significant minority).

Crown Heights has seen a huge influx of white residents.

There are Asians in Kensington along Coney Island Avenue and Church Avenue and further down, Cortelyou, etc, but I don't necessarily see them moving into Flatbush as much as white people.
The area in question is between Flatbush and Nostrand Ave, from Parkside Ave to Ave H, which does not include any Q stops. I don't think that part of Flatbush has many white people yet, except the Northernmost portion maybe.

Side note, I don't think East Flatbush will become white any time soon. Every time I'm there I barely see anyone who isn't black.

Last edited by l1995; 07-01-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The area in question is between Flatbush and Nostrand Ave, from Parkside Ave to Ave H, which does not include any Q stops. I don't think that part of Flatbush has many white people yet, except the Northernmost portion maybe.
Yes the northernmost portion is Prospect Lefferts Gardens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or