U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 5,450,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Plus in Flatbush it seems like they're mostly being replaced by Mexicans and Pakistanis, neither of which are high income groups
Those were around long ago. Check out Flatbush Ave near to Prospect Park. Millennial bars and loads of white folks, and that is rapidly moving south. Ditmas Park went black middle class in the late 80s but its gone back white again. The apartments on Cortelyou are attracting young whites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Those were around long ago. Check out Flatbush Ave near to Prospect Park. Millennial bars and loads of white folks, and that is rapidly moving south. Ditmas Park went black middle class in the late 80s but its gone back white again. The apartments on Cortelyou are attracting young whites.
I know but it seems to be a block by block thing. I was just on Church Ave yesterday, even directly East of the Q train station I barely saw any white people, and this is not too far away from the Victorian house blocks.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:58 AM

3,506 posts, read 1,804,841 times
The whites are coming. Don't worry.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Haitian patties are better than Jamaican patties, right?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 PM

7,569 posts, read 7,997,158 times
Lots of Haitians live in Rosedale. They've been there for a while.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The whites are coming. Don't worry.
Probably true, but have you been to the area in question? It's still a straight up black neighborhood for the most part. I think it will be like that for the forseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Lots of Haitians live in Rosedale. They've been there for a while.
True, and lots of other neighborhoods for that matter (both Queens and Nassau).

Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Quote:
Probably true, but have you been to the area in question? It's still a straight up black neighborhood for the most part. I think it will be like that for the forseeable future.

True, and lots of other neighborhoods for that matter (both Queens and Nassau).
How long is the foreseeable future? A year or two? People were jumping up and down in posts just a few years ago claiming no gentrification in Bedstuy, Bushwick, or Harlem. That’s been so throughly debunked only a total fool would even try to lie to say those places haven’t gentrified.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 AM

1,922 posts, read 656,353 times
Quote:
Is that really gonna stop any white people from moving there?
I remember reading that White developers wanted the name Little Haiti removed from Miami because it wouldn’t appeal to the new comers. That was speculation but given the history of how Haitians have been looked down upon I wouldn’t be surprise if it were true.

Now when you actually visit little Haiti in Miami it’s a very cultural community just like Little Havana!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The area by the Church Avenue Q station IS Flatbush. That's what we are talking about.
It is currently mostly black, but white people are moving in and will continue to move in.

Ditmas Park is mostly white at this point (at least it seems so to me).

PLG is getting significantly white (a significant minority).

Crown Heights has seen a huge influx of white residents.

There are Asians in Kensington along Coney Island Avenue and Church Avenue and further down, Cortelyou, etc, but I don't necessarily see them moving into Flatbush as much as white people.
Other than the tenants who were probably mostly black were the homeowners in Ditmas always mostly white/Jewish?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Haitian patties are better than Jamaican patties, right?
No and I’m Haitian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or