Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 PM

56 posts, read 60,744 times

Advertisements

It is the same story all across America. I hear Europe is the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 PM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
People in the US absolutely DO have the power to create their own conditions (obviously, I created mine, out of practically nothing. Again, I am an immigrant, and my economic starting point was far lower than that of an average poor person born in the US). Housing, food, healthcare, and education for poor people in the US are all partly subsidized or entirely free. These are the same starting points that people who are not poor have (except that they only have a choice of going to a free public school, while they have to buy the other three basic things out of their own hard earned money).

The poor in this country are handed everything, so they seem to think that personal accomplishment and "power to create conditions" is something that also can be, and should be, handed to them. But you can't hand out personal accomplishment - it is something that by definition can be only actively attained.

Not wanting to create certain conditions is not the same as not having power to create them. A decision to drop out of school, to join a gang, or to become a welfare mother (vs decision to stay in school, live within the civilized social contract, and not have kids if there isn't enough money for that) is a personal decision - everybody in this country has the same power to go one way or the other.
It sounds really nice when you read it over.

Did they have redlining in Europe?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-30-2018, 12:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If anybody wants all this shooting stabbing and killing to continue, they're fools

A large segment of the population has been DENIED ACCESS to earn money

Thats it

You lift that hold and the crime stops.

Vote for the MoD
That's why I registered to vote in NY via absentee ballot.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I really cannot agree with you on this one. No US citizen is denied access to earn money. My access to earn money was severely limited until I earned a Green Card, but only because I was an immigrant (and that is okay, I understand the need to control immigration) - after that, I was allowed to compete for any job I wanted and knew how to do. Oh right, I was also in training for 30 years, rather than pursuing crime, begging for handouts or having kids I couldn't support. As an immigrant, I would say that the US provides much more access to earn money than any other country I know of, and I just wish I had been born here - my life would have been a million times easier.

I think the problem is just the opposite: people in the US have it so easy that a large segment of the population thinks everything should just fall to them from the sky, and therefore don't want to make even the minimal effort to get qualified for a useful trade, or, at the very least, not have kids they can't afford.
But you don't really know anything about the US, since you think the government can just send people to work whatever job. It doesn't do that.

You went off topic on insane tangents when I and others called you out on that.

Without even getting into racial issues, when I was a kid more Americans worked in manufacturing jobs that paid pensions and full time benefits. Of course outsourcing and offshoring got RID of these manufacturing jobs.

I remember when the industrial jobs were leaving NYC.

I also remember when banks in NYC did customer service in metro NYC. That was offshored to India. I recall when IT and software jobs were outsourced to India too, and when the free trade agreements allowed manufacturing jobs to be sent to China.

Lots of laid off people were decimated and were never able to recover their income. This is a factor in why we have the massive drug epidemic among white Americans, and is a factor in urban crime.

But of course, a Russian troll who has never lived in America would not have any understanding of the US economy.

Since you're always bragging about "education" I know adjunct professors (with PhDs or working on their PhDs) at Columbia itself making 28k or 30k a year. This is absolutely NO MONEY.............

I also recall when companies in NYC started outsourcing their office jobs to temp agencies, so they wouldn't have to pay their employees benefits.

Don't even talk about anything American, frankly you haven't the knowledge or the right and you displayed massive ignorance of the nation.

All Americans have it easy?

Since you love to talk about studying, education is not free in America. Let's take you to kindergarten. Most people have to take out massive STUDENT loans to study at top universities. Particularly at the graduate level, they do credit checks on you to even get the student loans. My masters degree was paid for in large part out of my money via inheritance, but I did take out student loans as well and they did a credit check on me. If my credit was bad I wouldn't have gotten the loans. Sometimes people's credit is bad because they lost their job and got behind on their bills and couldn't pay.

Honestly it's offensive to have some Eastern European who can barely spell America, who clearly has no degree from America, talk as if she has any knowledge or authority on America.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'd vote for you. We'll make Airborne Guy police commissioner.

Out-of-touch wealthy white people whining about their own. Move to Baltimore if you're so guilt ridden/bored.
I'm fine with that. I'll mail in my absentee ballot.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
New York City is still the capital of the world. More historic preservation and less welfare (including abolishing the NYCHA, and selling the "projects" to people who work, for a modest price) would solve all NYC problems.
NYCHA has just been busted by the Trump administration for lying about removing lead and other hazardous materials. It will cost a fantastic amount of money to properly repair NYCHA, so the city is actually seeking out private investors and they will renovate and repair many projects buildings, as well as manage them. The NYCHA apartments will be covered to getting Section 8 from the federal government (because the private investors will need income to get a return on their investment). The city is setting things up for those apartments to be for working people and/or converted into co-ops, however this takes time and various legal issues have to be addressed. 1/7th of NYC lives in NYCHA, and no judge would let all those people be thrown out on the streets. Many of them do work, and if you actually knew anything about NYC people who work in stores, restaurants, bars, and other low wages jobs still receive welfare because it costs a fantastic amount of money to live in NYC.

But a Russian troll wouldn't know that. Lots of people in NYCHA work.

Stop running your mouth about things you absolutely are not qualified to speak on.

Have you lived in NYCHA? No.

Have you worked in social services or education and had to deal with these people professionally? No.

Have you studied any field relevant or related to NYC politics? No.

A lot of people here I've had my share of disagreements with do have real knowledge of NYCHA, from growing up in the good, from being police officers, from being social workers, etc. So even if we disagree, their perspectives are interesting.

You don't know anything at all.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC is just too neutered today, it has nothing to do with crime. There was a time when NYC was low in crime but still had its distinct flavor. Today, you go to any urban city you find the same picture. Starbucks, Chipotles, Uber, Apple Store, and not much different. Newark is trying to emulate NYC and it won't be long these upcoming cities all look alike. Pretty much the same businesses catering to the same demographics that dwell in cities across America. The one thing in common is high rents and property values those are the reasons why cities across America all start to look alike and cater to the same base that can afford these places. Of course these cities must become sanctuary cities in order to draw cheap labor. If not, it becomes like Greenwich CT where they can't find a goddam person to work the counters.
Duh! These are popular brands. People vote with their wallets/credit cards. Some of you are going too far in reminiscing your youth. I don't miss the crappy falling apart small businesses that got gentrified out of NYC. I'm not anti-NYC, but old schools NYC local chains like Gristedes were terrible and needed to be replaced and driven out of business by better businesses.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
The people don't have the power to create the conditions. They really don't.

You're kind of like the person who will get pissed off that the person in front of you is buying lobster with food stamps. But not get pissed off at why that person is allowed to do so, regardless of the morality/legality of it.
She doesn't know enough about NYC or America to even comment. She's not even qualified to speak. I was born in the city and though I don't live there now, I lived there many years and I know it well, and I've seen various economic changes and policies disenfranchise entire groups of people in NYC and in America. Bernie and Trump both rose politically due to working class Americans being completely screwed over by their jobs, by companies offshoring jobs overseas, by companies outsourcing labor to temp agencies, by employers hiring illegals so they don't have to pay payroll taxes, by debt, by outrageous medical bills and a host of other things, and this is true of working class Americans of all races. And this erosion of standards hurts of people all educational levels.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 AM

8,300 posts, read 4,329,707 times
Quote:
It sounds really nice when you read it over.

Did they have redlining in Europe?

No, in my country of origin pretty much nobody could get a mortgage - the inflation was so rampant that the concept of mortgage made no sense to start with. Do they still have redlining in the US, have they had it in the most recent 30 years? As far as I understand that word, it refers to denying mortgage to minorities, correct? As a legal immigrant in the US, going through legal immigration channels for 29 years to obtain my citizenship, I was not eligible for mortgage either, in my 20s, 30s or 40s. So I worked and saved, and bought all my condos for cash.

Again, all I am doing here on this forum is relating my own experiences. While I do have one degree from a US university (a PhD in a biomedical field), I don't need a PhD in a "relevant field" to remember how I accomplished things in the US while coming from a complete disadvantage (no money, no citizenship and therefore no right to anything I couldn't earn by myself). This second paragraph is not so much a response to you, Seventh, but a general comment on that guy who, in the absence of arguments that refute my life's experience, feels compelled to write fairly comical dissertations composed entirely of personal insults and bizarre fantasies about me :-). I mean, Dude, don't you have better things to do than getting obsessed by some random person on an internet forum, don't you have, like, a life? :-) I said already I had no personal interest in anybody on this forum, just browsing, trying to make some decisions about retirement in NYC...

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-30-2018 at 05:02 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 04:55 AM

8,300 posts, read 4,329,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But you don't really know anything about the US, since you think the government can just send people to work whatever job. It doesn't do that.

You went off topic on insane tangents when I and others called you out on that.

Without even getting into racial issues, when I was a kid more Americans worked in manufacturing jobs that paid pensions and full time benefits. Of course outsourcing and offshoring got RID of these manufacturing jobs.

I remember when the industrial jobs were leaving NYC.

I also remember when banks in NYC did customer service in metro NYC. That was offshored to India. I recall when IT and software jobs were outsourced to India too, and when the free trade agreements allowed manufacturing jobs to be sent to China.

Lots of laid off people were decimated and were never able to recover their income. This is a factor in why we have the massive drug epidemic among white Americans, and is a factor in urban crime.

But of course, a Russian troll who has never lived in America would not have any understanding of the US economy.

Since you're always bragging about "education" I know adjunct professors (with PhDs or working on their PhDs) at Columbia itself making 28k or 30k a year. This is absolutely NO MONEY.............

I also recall when companies in NYC started outsourcing their office jobs to temp agencies, so they wouldn't have to pay their employees benefits.

Don't even talk about anything American, frankly you haven't the knowledge or the right and you displayed massive ignorance of the nation.

All Americans have it easy?

Since you love to talk about studying, education is not free in America. Let's take you to kindergarten. Most people have to take out massive STUDENT loans to study at top universities. Particularly at the graduate level, they do credit checks on you to even get the student loans. My masters degree was paid for in large part out of my money via inheritance, but I did take out student loans as well and they did a credit check on me. If my credit was bad I wouldn't have gotten the loans. Sometimes people's credit is bad because they lost their job and got behind on their bills and couldn't pay.

Honestly it's offensive to have some Eastern European who can barely spell America, who clearly has no degree from America, talk as if she has any knowledge or authority on America.

No, I never thought or said that the government can just send people to work whatever job - that is your own invention about me :-). I said that it would be useful if schools had some type of placement system with companies that need staff for low level jobs, so that failing high school students could be sent to work on these jobs rather than just dropping out of school and ending up nowhere. I never mentioned any government, and do not see why YOU inserted the government into this.

Again, as an immigrant that was "administratively processed" for almost three decades, I was not eligible for any kind of loan during that time. I do know that the income in the US academia is very low (because that was my own income for a very long time :-) - but, my lack of loans and low income in academia did not lead to a life of crime and related social uselessnes (ie, low-paid academic staff is practically never criminal and does not typically use welfare), so I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Since you brought up spelling, I noticed in your different posts your tendency towards use of a "learned" expression "per say". Dude, that is Latin, and it is "PER SE", it means "in and of itself". With all your pompousness about training in humanities, how come you can't even spell a fairly common expression often used by humanities scholars?

Per say! :-))))))) But your illiteracy is not offensive to me, just very funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City