U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 AM

597 posts, read 194,583 times

Advertisements

I like the new nyc minus all the tourist but I realize we need them.

I used to run from crackheads, bullets, loose dogs, robbers etc when I was growing up. I appreciate the experience now in hindsight because all of that made me stronger and I can sit back and laugh about it. But nobody should want to live a life like that, nyc changed for the better and I hope it continues to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 391,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYCHA has just been busted by the Trump administration for lying about removing lead and other hazardous materials. It will cost a fantastic amount of money to properly repair NYCHA, so the city is actually seeking out private investors and they will renovate and repair many projects buildings, as well as manage them. The NYCHA apartments will be covered to getting Section 8 from the federal government (because the private investors will need income to get a return on their investment). The city is setting things up for those apartments to be for working people and/or converted into co-ops, however this takes time and various legal issues have to be addressed. 1/7th of NYC lives in NYCHA, and no judge would let all those people be thrown out on the streets. Many of them do work, and if you actually knew anything about NYC people who work in stores, restaurants, bars, and other low wages jobs still receive welfare because it costs a fantastic amount of money to live in NYC.

But a Russian troll wouldn't know that. Lots of people in NYCHA work.

Stop running your mouth about things you absolutely are not qualified to speak on.

Have you lived in NYCHA? No.

Have you worked in social services or education and had to deal with these people professionally? No.

Have you studied any field relevant or related to NYC politics? No.

A lot of people here I've had my share of disagreements with do have real knowledge of NYCHA, from growing up in the good, from being police officers, from being social workers, etc. So even if we disagree, their perspectives are interesting.

You don't know anything at all.

Have I worked in social services and had to deal with these people [presumably, the poor] professionally? If you consider healthcare a form of social service, then yes, I have extensive experience with providing that service to the poor, not in NYC, but in many other locations in the US, including both urban and rural, including states such as WV (poor whites), MS (poor blacks) and NM/AZ (poor Spanish-speaking people indigenous to various areas of the American continents). I haven't been so appalled by the behavior of these people until I actually met them, and until I had to deal with them quite a bit. I do have to say that a part of the younger generation of the poor seems to be improving and taking some responsibility for their own lives (and the improvement is more apparent actually among the traditional minorities than among the poor whites), but poor people older than about 45 (and still many younger ones, for sure) tend to be a disaster of irresponsibility, entitlement, and endless demands (including violent ones) on everybody around them.

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-30-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times
Really long article but on the balance the overall gist of it is correct and valid.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 AM

20,113 posts, read 21,729,745 times
I think the article's mention of the poverty rate and the massive housing price to median household income difference is worth mentioning. The idea of New York City as a boutique, luxury city whose property is also a major investment vehicle for people all over the world is actually a pretty new phenomenon rather than a return to form from prior to the mess in the 70s and 80s. And yea, it is odd that all that wealth pouring in hasn't resulted in a well-functioning subway system.

There are a lot of pretty reasonable issues that article mentions that aren't just nostalgic navel-gazing, though the title is overblown.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the article's mention of the poverty rate and the massive housing price to median household income difference is worth mentioning. The idea of New York City as a boutique, luxury city whose property is also a major investment vehicle for people all over the world is actually a pretty new phenomenon rather than a return to form from prior to the mess in the 70s and 80s. And yea, it is odd that all that wealth pouring in hasn't resulted in a well-functioning subway system.

There are a lot of pretty reasonable issues that article mentions that aren't just nostalgic navel-gazing, though the title is overblown.

This is actually not a bad comment (except that I don't see why the billionaires would have any special interest in improving the subway, and I don't see why everybody is complaining about the subway. I have ridden NYC subway many times when visiting NYC, and don't see anything wrong with it. Once the turnstyle-thing charged me for a ride but didn't actually turn to let me onto the platform, I called the number on the card and left an angry message along with my home address in Boston, and two months later received in mail a small check equal to the cost of one subway ride in NYC!!).

I have visited one city (Portland OR) where a lot (definitely more than 2/3) of all retail in the city seems to consist of small businesses rather than large chain stores (and moderately priced stuff too - not much difference in price between a McDonald's item and a tofuburger sold at a tiny privately owned eatery). I don't know details, but the city clearly must be subsidizing that kind of commerce and lifestyle, rather than subsidizing undesirable stuff.

Regarding NYC, if you don't make an effort to preserve history, it will vanish, like everywhere else. I haven't been to Europe in a very long time, but from what I see in recent photos and videos, Paris and London are not doing that great either (imho, the destruction started in Paris with ripping up the medieval core and building the grand boulevards in the 19th century). Historic preservation provides many useful low-level jobs, and promotes interest in education/civility. It is surely a far better social investment than welfare.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 PM

9,313 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Thing about the poverty rate is it's calculated without including non-cash assistance. Value of all that cheap NYCHA housing, homeless shelters, etc? ZERO. Not counted. Same for any other non-cash assistance. So of course no matter how much you provide, the poverty rate never drops.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,373,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Crime was at its lowest in NYC in the 1950s.

NYCHA was great back then. Some complexes were already around for over 10, almost 15 years.
For what it's worth, the murder rate in NYC is at its lowest since 1951.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,235,642 times
I am not a fan of expanding the welfare system in NYC and ruining the last savings/stability of the middle class (their house). The author doesn't really bother to ask whether having a welfare system leads to people not wanting to improve themselves (for fear of losing it) and drives more low income people to move to NYC (it never stops).

Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
For what it's worth, the murder rate in NYC is at its lowest since 1951.

... but, for what it's worth, the murder rate in the Bronx for the first half of 2018 has DOUBLED compared to the first half of 2017. If the overall murder in NYC is dramatically dropping while doubling in the Bronx, that means murder has been concentrated in one borough - meaning that police resources should be concentrated there as well. Somebody I know (a highly educated but also highly religious Moslem woman who wears that scarf thing) told me that she would much rather be profiled at the airport than dead.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-01-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 AM

19,117 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
... but, for what it's worth, the murder rate in the Bronx for the first half of 2018 has DOUBLED compared to the first half of 2017. If the overall murder in NYC is dramatically dropping while doubling in the Bronx, that means murder has been concentrated in one borough - meaning that police resources should be concentrated there as well. Somebody I know (a highly educated but also highly religious Moslem woman who wears that scarf thing) told me that she would much rather be profiled at the airport than dead.
It's called a hijab. Scarf thing.

And u wanna live in the Bronx???

LMAO please.

A lot of people in Parkchester, and surrounding it, wear them "scarf things."

I'm finished.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or