U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We want to see the 911 Museum and Memorial, also the Empire State Building and that's it, in mid October

Thanks LeeB
If I were you instead of going to the Empire State Building, I would visit the One World Observatory (on the top of new WTC building/Freedom Tower) as it is right next to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial location and it is more modern and gives great views of the area similar to ESB just from a slightly southern more location. This will save time as they are next to each other and can be done without any commute time between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM
 
8,056 posts, read 8,568,790 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I haven't, either, but I will go one of these days.

Re the ESB, I had to go there for business purposes earlier this year. I have been working in the city since 1979, and that was the first time EVER in my life that I was in the ESB. Just never had any reason to go there.

I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first and only time when I was 31 and my MIL's new husband, who was from Wisconsin, was visiting and wanted to see it. I had seen it out the window of the WTC for years, but I had never gone there.

The OP might find it interesting that many of us don't even visit our own landmarks.
It took me 42 years to get to the Statue of Liberty and at the time, you couldn't even go inside. Never been to Top of the Rock either.

We should have a CD meetup at the new WTC one of these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,010 posts, read 1,028,936 times
Reputation: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm not a F-ing tourist. I live here. So know I don't know, that's why I asked the question.....
Not everyone is a Jack *ss like you.
A more informative reply would be: https://www.nycgo.com/tours/new-york-c3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Northern California
440 posts, read 1,328,876 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It sounds like an excellent plan. It would be a long walk from Penn to the 9-11 Memorial/Museum. Take a cab or public transportation to the site. Lots of places to eat there when you are finished. Then take a cab or public transportation back to the Empire State Building. The views are breathtaking after dark or at sunset. Hopefully, it will be clear weather during your visit. You can buy all of your timed tickets in advance online, but if you are unsure about your schedule, there are people standing outside the ESB who can sell you tickets. October is a good time because there are fewer tourists (will still be plenty though) than at other times of the year.

If you just want to go up high and see views of NYC, the Freedom Tower is right near the 9/11 Memorial and also has an observatory. I still haven't gone up there yet. I think it's $30, but one of these days, I'll get there.

Thanks so much for your input, I like the idea of going up to the Observatory on top of the Freedom Tower and saving the time between the ESB and 911 Memorial/Museum.

I am going to try buy tickets on line so that will save time waiting through lines. Not sure how to go about it, it is all part of the adventure...

Instead of taking a cab or public transportation we may see if there a pedi-cycle that will take us to and from our destinations.


Getting excited now LeeB…… Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 AM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14915
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks so much for your input, I like the idea of going up to the Observatory on top of the Freedom Tower and saving the time between the ESB and 911 Memorial/Museum.

I am going to try buy tickets on line so that will save time waiting through lines. Not sure how to go about it, it is all part of the adventure...

Instead of taking a cab or public transportation we may see if there a pedi-cycle that will take us to and from our destinations.


Getting excited now LeeB…… Thanks to all
When my brother and his daughters visited me a few months after the opening of the One World Observatory (at new Freedom Tower), I remember he purchased for us the timed tickets in advance before arriving in NYC. There is a separate line for those with tickets in hand (advance purchase) but the line does move quite quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,566 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Reputation: 65706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When my brother and his daughters visited me a few months after the opening of the One World Observatory (at new Freedom Tower), I remember he purchased for us the timed tickets in advance before arriving in NYC. There is a separate line for those with tickets in hand (advance purchase) but the line does move quite quickly.
Good to know. I wasn't going to go up there because we were miffed that they didn't give us a free ticket, but I'm over it and I'll pay.

I did subsequently go to a meeting in One WTC, but it was on the 55th floor. Not quite the same.

I did get to go to the Museum with two complimentary tickets the week before it opened, though. Took my daughter, who was only ten at the times of the attacks. It wasn't until we went there that I realized how much she didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 08:07 PM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good to know. I wasn't going to go up there because we were miffed that they didn't give us a free ticket, but I'm over it and I'll pay.

I did subsequently go to a meeting in One WTC, but it was on the 55th floor. Not quite the same.

I did get to go to the Museum with two complimentary tickets the week before it opened, though. Took my daughter, who was only ten at the times of the attacks. It wasn't until we went there that I realized how much she didn't know.
As resident of NYC during the attacks, I haven't been to 9/11 Museum as I don't feel I should be paying full admission to view a museum about something I lived through as a resident.

But I think One World Observatory is worth the price of ticket for all if one hasn't been there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,566 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Reputation: 65706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As resident of NYC during the attacks, I haven't been to 9/11 Museum as I don't feel I should be paying full admission to view a museum about something I lived through as a resident.

But I think One World Observatory is worth the price of ticket for all if one hasn't been there yet.
I agree with you that New Yorkers should get a break on the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top