U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM

404 posts, read 1,291,841 times

Advertisements

We want to see the 911 Museum and Memorial, also the Empire State Building and that's it, in mid October

We will be coming in by train to Penn Station from Hamilton Station mid morning and staying late (to miss commuters) We will walk (unless we find a better way) to the attractions..

This all wife really wants to see, yes it would be great to spend a week but that is just not in the budget.

I am looking at C3 package for $82 each. Don't mind buying in advance so it would one less thing we have to worry about.....

What do you think? Is the a decent plan for a couple of 65+ somethings from California. Yes it is a lot of walking but we do a lot of walking anyway and I am sure we will be up for it....

Thanks LeeB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:56 AM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Prepare to spend more time than you think you will in the 9/11 Museum. It's not something you can breeze through in one or two hours. It is worth it, though. Probably should make sure you eat first. I went in at 9:30 a.m., and later I said to my daughter that I was getting hungry and that it had to be near lunchtime. Turned out it was 2 p.m. The time passes quickly in there because there is just so much to absorb.

I think that and the ESB are enough for a one-day visit.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I am looking at C3 package for $82 each. Don't mind buying in advance so it would one less thing we have to worry about.....
Most of us on this site are locals so you will have to explain what C3 is.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:22 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Most of us on this site are locals so you will have to explain what C3 is.
You don't know? It's like your bottled water rant...

Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
It sounds like an excellent plan. It would be a long walk from Penn to the 9-11 Memorial/Museum. Take a cab or public transportation to the site. Lots of places to eat there when you are finished. Then take a cab or public transportation back to the Empire State Building. The views are breathtaking after dark or at sunset. Hopefully, it will be clear weather during your visit. You can buy all of your timed tickets in advance online, but if you are unsure about your schedule, there are people standing outside the ESB who can sell you tickets. October is a good time because there are fewer tourists (will still be plenty though) than at other times of the year.

If you just want to go up high and see views of NYC, the Freedom Tower is right near the 9/11 Memorial and also has an observatory. I still haven't gone up there yet. I think it's $30, but one of these days, I'll get there.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You don't know? It's like your bottled water rant...
I'm not a F-ing tourist. I live here. So know I don't know, that's why I asked the question.....
Not everyone is a Jack *ss like you.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It sounds like an excellent plan. It would be a long walk from Penn to the 9-11 Memorial/Museum. Take a cab or public transportation to the site. Lots of places to eat there when you are finished. Then take a cab or public transportation back to the Empire State Building. The views are breathtaking after dark or at sunset. Hopefully, it will be clear weather during your visit. You can buy all of your timed tickets in advance online, but if you are unsure about your schedule, there are people standing outside the ESB who can sell you tickets. October is a good time because there are fewer tourists (will still be plenty though) than at other times of the year.

If you just want to go up high and see views of NYC, the Freedom Tower is right near the 9/11 Memorial and also has an observatory. I still haven't gone up there yet. I think it's $30, but one of these days, I'll get there.
I haven't, either, but I will go one of these days.

Re the ESB, I had to go there for business purposes earlier this year. I have been working in the city since 1979, and that was the first time EVER in my life that I was in the ESB. Just never had any reason to go there.

I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first and only time when I was 31 and my MIL's new husband, who was from Wisconsin, was visiting and wanted to see it. I had seen it out the window of the WTC for years, but I had never gone there.

The OP might find it interesting that many of us don't even visit our own landmarks.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 AM

20,111 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I haven't, either, but I will go one of these days.

Re the ESB, I had to go there for business purposes earlier this year. I have been working in the city since 1979, and that was the first time EVER in my life that I was in the ESB. Just never had any reason to go there.

I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first and only time when I was 31 and my MIL's new husband, who was from Wisconsin, was visiting and wanted to see it. I had seen it out the window of the WTC for years, but I had never gone there.

The OP might find it interesting that many of us don't even visit our own landmarks.
Pretty much only do it if there's an out-of-town guest. I'm guessing that's similar for almost everyone here unless you work in one of these places (and in that case, you're probably only seeing that place).

Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
We had free passes for the Empire State Building. We let them lapse after a year. I did it once nearly 50 years ago and I found it a bore. Not with the lines and the crowds, not even for free.

If I were seeing only one or two touristy things, I would make sure the Metropolitan Museum was one of them.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty much only do it if there's an out-of-town guest. I'm guessing that's similar for almost everyone here unless you work in one of these places (and in that case, you're probably only seeing that place).
I worked in One WTC for 20 years. We could get free tickets to the obdeck. I didn't go until maybe 15 years in when my sister came in to meet me with my daughter and my nieces, and we all went up. I spent one of those years on 82, which was higher than the surrounding buildings, so I got the views. Moved down to 72 after that, which was still pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or