U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 AM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
uh, the guy tried to kill 3 people by pushing them to an incoming train. That is a good reason to lock him up for a good amount of years..
People locked up still have to rejoin society. He has proven himself functional and there is no reason to lock him up now. The criminal justice and mental health systems have successfully dealt with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2018, 08:18 AM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,923,714 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He was homeless at the time he tried to push those people, and conditions on the street do deteriorate mental health.

That doesn't mean he didn't already have some sort of illness, but being HOMELESS makes it worse.

With that said, he has not reverted back, and you cannot punish for someone for what they MIGHT do. Anyone could potentially do something horrible.
You can't punish people for what they might do but you can punish them for what they did. He tried to kill at least 3 people. He deserves to be locked up in a cage for the rest of his life for that. He can rehabilitate himself from the confines of his cell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 AM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You can't punish people for what they might do but you can punish them for what they did. He tried to kill at least 3 people. He deserves to be locked up in a cage for the rest of his life for that. He can rehabilitate himself from the confines of his cell.
The courts disagreed with you.

Fortunately no one was actually KILLED or HURT.

People on this forum are too irrational and too afraid.

If he is not going to do it again and he has been dealt with by the courts and the mental health sector, there is absolutely no reason to bother this man.

You guys sound at least as mentally ill as he was. Sick, bloodthirsty, and psychotic. Essentially like demons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 AM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,923,714 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The courts disagreed with you.

Fortunately no one was actually KILLED or HURT.

People on this forum are too irrational and too afraid.

If he is not going to do it again and he has been dealt with by the courts and the mental health sector, there is absolutely no reason to bother this man.

You guys sound at least as mentally ill as he was. Sick, bloodthirsty, and psychotic. Essentially like demons.

Are you a doctor or a psychic and can see the future? You don't know what he's capable of or if he'll ever do that again. And the courts are flawed. The let out degenerates and animals into society all the time. How many times to we hear about these animals committing horrible crimes after they were paroled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 01:10 PM
 
569 posts, read 224,300 times
Reputation: 355
Of course, we don't hear anything about the humans who don't commit horrible crimes after parole. You, uh, understand the difference between anecdotes and data, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Are you a doctor or a psychic and can see the future? You don't know what he's capable of or if he'll ever do that again. And the courts are flawed. The let out degenerates and animals into society all the time. How many times to we hear about these animals committing horrible crimes after they were paroled?
The courts and the mental health professions have done their jobs, and this man is free to live his life period.

Nothing else matters.

Oh, and every person is the world is capable of killing someone. Unless they have actually killed someone, they cannot be punished for what they COULD do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Of course, we don't hear anything about the humans who don't commit horrible crimes after parole. You, uh, understand the difference between anecdotes and data, right?
Yes. Most people after parole don't commit horrible crimes. You have frighten fools who probably need therapy and medication themselves getting all hysterical over nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM
 
59 posts, read 32,146 times
Reputation: 82
Good for him but really what good is a grad degree with attempted murder on your record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 07:47 PM
 
108 posts, read 41,705 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The courts disagreed with you.

Fortunately no one was actually KILLED or HURT.

People on this forum are too irrational and too afraid.

If he is not going to do it again and he has been dealt with by the courts and the mental health sector, there is absolutely no reason to bother this man.

You guys sound at least as mentally ill as he was. Sick, bloodthirsty, and psychotic. Essentially like demons.
I absolutely agree. The best way to help another person is through rehabilitating his behaviour, and making him feel like he matters. Through job training, through love of friends and family. I'm surprised (well, not really lol) at the high percentage of people with irrational fear of a man with an amazing story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 10:39 PM
 
5,732 posts, read 5,181,531 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You'd still run the other way? If he was nicely dressed in a suit, walking along minding his own business like everyone else?
H#LL Yes! I've been attacked by the mentally ill before. Its not fun having a full blown fight in the middle of the street.

And being dressed in a nice business suit means nothing, those suit wearers are the most corrupt, don't you know that by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top