U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:07 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,479 posts, read 22,050,487 times
Reputation: 10496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
We are headed for Union Square to join a friend for lunch. I DREAD that station. While convenient it is always as hot as Hades.
Usually when I stop there I buy a few hard Amish pretzels (Martin's) at the Green Market...best pretzels on Earth, and also the most expensive.
But in this awful humidity, pretzels suffer.
Yea, that station is like a sauna sometimes. Your previous posts about heat pumps, and separately about steam-generation had me thinking about the steam system pipes and if itís possible and efficient in Manhattan train stations that are hot and where the steam system is if a heat pump system where the stations essentially transfer heat into the steam system since those steam pipes at some point must run pretty close to the Manhattan stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:03 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,564 posts, read 2,811,683 times
Reputation: 2851
The last three days have just been crazy... The humidity is just so bad right now. I really cannot wait until the end of summer. I have not gone out for lunch in at least a month, maybe more. Either it's extremely humid or extremely hot. Almost feels like 90 degrees already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 504,352 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The last three days have just been crazy... The humidity is just so bad right now. I really cannot wait until the end of summer. I have not gone out for lunch in at least a month, maybe more. Either it's extremely humid or extremely hot. Almost feels like 90 degrees already.
Agree. I donít remember it being this miserable for this many days/weeks in a row. Canít wait for Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,564 posts, read 2,811,683 times
Reputation: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Agree. I donít remember it being this miserable for this many days/weeks in a row. Canít wait for Fall.
Yesterday morning, waiting for the express bus my dress shirt was drenched. I never sweat like that unless the humidity is bonkers. The only good thing has been that most places have had AC, but I haven't taken the subway at all during the week. I took it Saturday and it was like stepping into the pits of hell, and this was before 10:00am! lol I called myself doing shopping and getting inside before the real heat came. What's disturbing with this weather is we really haven't had real seasons in a few years now. You go from winter into some half @ssed spring, then BOOM summer. Fall is sort of in between too now. I enjoy fall the most because the weather is usually just right, but the rain and inclement weather has ruined that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 504,352 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yesterday morning, waiting for the express bus my dress shirt was drenched. I never sweat like that unless the humidity is bonkers. The only good thing has been that most places have had AC, but I haven't taken the subway at all during the week. I took it Saturday and it was like stepping into the pits of hell, and this was before 10:00am! lol I called myself doing shopping and getting inside before the real heat came. What's disturbing with this weather is we really haven't had real seasons in a few years now. You go from winter into some half @ssed spring, then BOOM summer. Fall is sort of in between too now. I enjoy fall the most because the weather is usually just right, but the rain and inclement weather has ruined that too.
Drenched shirt happened to me this week, too. So embarrassing. I donít mind rainy or inclement weather. Take that over this any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
1,892 posts, read 1,141,251 times
Reputation: 1361
I feel like it's particularly brutal this year, last year felt a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 AM
 
10,700 posts, read 20,919,833 times
Reputation: 8276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I feel like it's particularly brutal this year, last year felt a lot better.
I agree. I don't think I've ever run my a/c's nonstop like this for weeks on end. Usually I run them here and there when the temp rises for a few days, and then I don't need them for another week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM
 
1,113 posts, read 463,902 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yesterday morning, waiting for the express bus my dress shirt was drenched. I never sweat like that unless the humidity is bonkers. The only good thing has been that most places have had AC, but I haven't taken the subway at all during the week. I took it Saturday and it was like stepping into the pits of hell, and this was before 10:00am! lol I called myself doing shopping and getting inside before the real heat came. What's disturbing with this weather is we really haven't had real seasons in a few years now. You go from winter into some half @ssed spring, then BOOM summer. Fall is sort of in between too now. I enjoy fall the most because the weather is usually just right, but the rain and inclement weather has ruined that too.
I got lucky yesterday. Within seconds of walking to the front of the platform, the N train came. I stood right under the AC - it was heaven. This morning, not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,564 posts, read 2,811,683 times
Reputation: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I got lucky yesterday. Within seconds of walking to the front of the platform, the N train came. I stood right under the AC - it was heaven. This morning, not so much
lol Yes, yesterday was brutal. This morning I thought about the lonnggg walk I'd have from the express bus and said, nope... Commuter train... Puts me a bit closer to my office. Saturday I took the train at Chambers Street and even with the 3 train coming as I got to the platform I was still miserable. I wanted pizza from Whole Foods for lunch today, but I am not making a trip for lunch in this weather. It will be around 100 degrees by then so I will have a snack and get some on the way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:32 AM
 
Location: NYC
375 posts, read 187,513 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree. I don't think I've ever run my a/c's nonstop like this for weeks on end. Usually I run them here and there when the temp rises for a few days, and then I don't need them for another week.
Yup, been running my AC non-stop as well! My ConEd bill has gone up but I'll gladly pay up for that comfort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top