Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:43 PM

133 posts, read 129,897 times

Advertisements

Sounds like something I normally say to people: you can always put clothes on but there's only so much you can take off! lol I like the winter better. I've already been bitten by mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I just don't understand people who prefer this heat to the winter. You can prep for winter pretty easily. You can add and shed layers as you see fit and there's a lot of recent clothing material that's lightweight and warm.

What are you supposed to do in this heat when you're outside? Start shedding some skin and flesh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,040,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
There are some modern AC-ed summer overalls that will hit the market soon. These overalls run on batteries to provide cooling insulation and as well as protection from sun/UV damage when you are out. Once you get indoors, you can take them off and charge them.

Wearing shorts/tees in NYC is extremely unhealthy because you are exposed to both the damaging sun and all sorts of pollutants in the air that can cause various unwanted health issues (including impotency if that is relevant to your QOL...).
LOL. What? I feel like wearing the power battery overalls will increase the impotency chances. You will have a ion battery pant radiating on your body. What happens if it rains, it gets too hot for the overalls, etc?

How is it any different in the winter? You are still exposed to all sorts of pollutants in the air. Also, in the winter/fall time people get depressed due to the lack of sunshine.

The sun provides Vitamin D. It's healthy to expose yourself to it. Air pollution is all over NYC 24/7/365.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,951,234 times
At 2 PM we walked to Mughlai, 2 blocks away for linner (lunch ia 50% off total check)...no way I am cooking. I have been in the air conditioned apartment for 2 days and was not prepared for the shock of thus heat. Restaurant was comfortably cool...welcome for a flaming lamb vindalloo.
I honestly think I have never experienced such heat outside of a sauna or a steel mill.

Meal was delicious but I actually stated getting dizzy on the walk home. No more heavy meals until this inferno abates/ If Con-Ed loses power they will have to scrape my remains off the pavement.

Today is the first day that I have considered getting a second air conditioner for the bedroom. WeatherUnderground claims Heat index is 109F.

All of you, please be careful getting home. It is DANGEROUS out there.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-02-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 03:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,088,114 times
This weather is great! I could live with this climate daily.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Sounds like you need to do a "casual lean" like Hillary. lol

Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I was on the subway this morning in fact. This heavy set lady gets on with all of her skin exposed. She's as red as can be and incredibly fair skinned. I'm thinking first off, where's your sun screen, and second, we don't need to see all of this exposed. Not appealing to see that early in the morning when I haven't eaten yet.

Then there was this dude that had to easily be over 300 pounds. He had on a friggin' suit! I was sweating just looking at him. At least he was covered up though, but still. I was wondering where he got that suit at because I don't think I've ever seen one that big before and it looked too cheesy to be custom made. lol He had to make almost two of me.

I generally can’t stand when a stranger’s bare skin touches mine. Now I bring a summer scarf to cover any exposed skin. Can you imagine the sweaty ones? Or you’re sitting in the train and someone wearing a sleeveless shirt stands over you? All I can think is I’m sitting under someone’s armpit. Thankfully my commute is short enough now so I actually stand most of the times.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 PM

37,018 posts, read 39,083,400 times
It’s still a bit hot outside, but I’ll say that the streets here are teaming with life and people enjoying being out. It’s pretty wonderful.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I generally can’t stand when a stranger’s bare skin touches mine. Now I bring a summer scarf to cover any exposed skin. Can you imagine the sweaty ones? Or you’re sitting in the train and someone wearing a sleeveless shirt stands over you? All I can think is I’m sitting under someone’s armpit. Thankfully my commute is short enough now so I actually stand most of the times.
I'll be taking the express bus home and I rarely have to sit near anybody. If someone sits near me and smells, I will immediately move to another seat.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'll be taking the express bus home and I rarely have to sit near anybody. If someone sits near me and smells, I will immediately move to another seat.
My experience this am when a homeless man came in. I had to immediately move to the far end of the subway car. Man the things the heat brings, tres gross

Old 07-02-2018, 05:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,728,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Me too! I love it. Can take a full month of this. I'm not kidding.
It's the cold I can't stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City