Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 AM

191 posts, read 220,492 times

Advertisements

with all the recent horrible crimes in nyc/nys why can't the government at least make a referendum so that people can vote in favor of or against capital punishment.
What do we have to loose, 31 states have it in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Probably not. For the most part, only "third world" countries still have the death penalty.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
(1)The death penalty doesn’t deter anyone from committing crimes and it’s an unnecessary waste of tax dollars as these cases usually drag on via appeals.

(2) You really think super liberal SJW NYC is going to support something like this?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
(1)The death penalty doesn’t deter anyone from committing crimes and it’s an unnecessary waste of tax dollars as these cases usually drag on via appeals.

(2) You really think super liberal SJW NYC is going to support something like this?
Correct, the death penalty states aren't safer than the ones without.

Plus if even 1% of people on death row are innocent, that's more than enough of a reason for the death penalty to be abolished.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Why would a person want to give the state the power to kill him? The state already has more power than it can sensibly use.

Anyone wanting to increase state power should support Universal Health Care instead of the Power to kill citizens at will.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Death penalty is unnecessary in US. Takes forever to execute anyone. Gun rights more important, criminals usually die from self inflicted death or killed by other criminals.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why would a person want to give the state the power to kill him? The state already has more power than it can sensibly use.

Anyone wanting to increase state power should support Universal Health Care instead of the Power to kill citizens at will.
I never thought about that. These states that support these things actually give the state immense power. Meanwhile, they claim to be libertarian or some other hands off ideology. I just claim myself a moderate because I think all politicians are crooks.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I never thought about that. These states that support these things actually give the state immense power. Meanwhile, they claim to be libertarian or some other hands off ideology. I just claim myself a moderate because I think all politicians are crooks.
Those states are usually conservative, not libertarian. Conservatives give power to the government when it comes to social policy (death penalty, drugs, marriage, alcohol laws, etc), so there is no ideological inconsistency when it comes to the issue of death penalty. Conservatives and social liberals (democrats) both have ideologies that do not really respect individual liberty, but rather involve the government in some kind of fashion.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Death penalty is unnecessary in US. Takes forever to execute anyone. Gun rights more important, criminals usually die from self inflicted death or killed by other criminals.
Please people preaching about gun laws. You think you take away guns people will stop killing? In my hood people kill with knives and machetes. Personally Id rather be shot then torchered being hacked it and stabbed over and over. Stop with this whole guns kill. PEOPLE kill. Take away guns and something else will be used. Taking away guns doesnt stop crime.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I think vision’s statement was in support of gun rights.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: