U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:22 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,776,085 times

Advertisements

My son Luke found it online & he wants to go. I just have this knot in my stomach because the only way it was going to happen was with a miracle. There was this small chance. But anyway, Meh. Everybody on CD knows our story.

Iím sure itís a crowded scene, right? Lots of sensory stimuli? Of course I always thought it was weird how he could handle Chucky Cheese; heíd just laugh & hop & flap & giggle. Then bolt off. Seriously; Iíd rather stab myself in the eye repeatedly than go to Chucks Cheese but Luke would somehow play that Autism card & selectively filter the chaos.

For two months heís been pointing to airplanes in the sky & saying ďJuly 4th we will be thereĒ. Dang, there was this small chance.

I mean; it looks like fun online. Is it fun? Expensive? Gosh, just getting to NY seems expensive. Itís cheaper to go from DIA to LA than it is to NY. Iíve heard itís expensive to live there but what about travel? Short travel. Nearby cheaper alternatives? Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:44 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
As a frequent traveler, I want to warn that doing last minute trips is expensive anywhere at anytime. This holds true even moreso on holidays and around them. There's a reason why instead of going to my parents in Chicago for Thanksgiving, I instead go to other countries, taking advantage of the free vacation and the non increase on international fare (literally cheaper to go to China or the UK than it is to go to Chicago during some holidays).

That being said, it's possible. I'm flabbergasted that a flight leaving today coming back on Sunday would be over $1000 through COS as I'm seeing right now, but I guess it is what it is. Seems to drop to mid $600s if you leave on Saturday. To give some example of fares, it's generally $300-400 NYC <> SF/LA. I often only pay $80 roundtrip to see my family in the winter in Chicago. The cheapest you can go to China from NYC is around $400, though the airline isn't great (really, Spirit is worse and Ryanair is even more terrible, so we have no where to complain). My flight to Japan for New Years was $700 roundtrip from Chicago. Take into account you can get cheaper stays in other countries (maybe not western or most of central Europe), and the cost differential is rather insane. My airbnb in Nakano, Tokyo, Japan was $420 roughly for 3 weeks. Wow!

But all that aside, try airbnb but be warned, NYC has been cracking down on it here. For good reason too if you think about it, you generally don't want rotation in your apartment/coop/condo building. Hotels generally aren't cheap and from a cursory glance, it looks like $170/night over by Coney Island.

It might be better for someone else to chime in as I've never traveled to NYC on holiday before I moved here. I generally took advantage of off season travel and staying at friends places, which you can't really do with a family.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM

36 posts, read 28,802 times
I lived in Coney Island for 50 yrs. and it is fun with all the attractions. It is very! Very! Expensive so make sure you have money to spend because the kids is going to want everything. Also stay within the area of the rides and boardwalk because a few blocks down is the area of a lot of crime and housing projects. Enjoy

Old 07-03-2018, 04:18 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,551,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
As a frequent traveler, I want to warn that doing last minute trips is expensive anywhere at anytime. This holds true even moreso on holidays and around them. There's a reason why instead of going to my parents in Chicago for Thanksgiving, I instead go to other countries, taking advantage of the free vacation and the non increase on international fare (literally cheaper to go to China or the UK than it is to go to Chicago during some holidays).

That being said, it's possible. I'm flabbergasted that a flight leaving today coming back on Sunday would be over $1000 through COS as I'm seeing right now, but I guess it is what it is. Seems to drop to mid $600s if you leave on Saturday. To give some example of fares, it's generally $300-400 NYC <> SF/LA. I often only pay $80 roundtrip to see my family in the winter in Chicago. The cheapest you can go to China from NYC is around $400, though the airline isn't great (really, Spirit is worse and Ryanair is even more terrible, so we have no where to complain). My flight to Japan for New Years was $700 roundtrip from Chicago. Take into account you can get cheaper stays in other countries (maybe not western or most of central Europe), and the cost differential is rather insane. My airbnb in Nakano, Tokyo, Japan was $420 roughly for 3 weeks. Wow!

But all that aside, try airbnb but be warned, NYC has been cracking down on it here. For good reason too if you think about it, you generally don't want rotation in your apartment/coop/condo building. Hotels generally aren't cheap and from a cursory glance, it looks like $170/night over by Coney Island.

It might be better for someone else to chime in as I've never traveled to NYC on holiday before I moved here. I generally took advantage of off season travel and staying at friends places, which you can't really do with a family.
I stayed at a motel in Bath Beach for 94 dollars a night in 2016, I'm sure it's not too much more expensive now

Old 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

Thank you! That's what I saw too for the air prices, yikes. Those hotel prices aren't too bad; we get pretty high here as well over the summer.

Funny you mentioned Japan ... that was & is, his "ultimate dream trip". I was born in Fuchu but before he was even aware of that he's always had that desire. For a kid with Autism; he is amazingly flexible when traveling. The only time he's been outside of Colorado was when I drove to Corpus Christi with 3 kids & the dog in a 19-year-old Nissan that had electrical issues.

He was a trooper! I'm a bit concerned about flying ... He's 6'2" & 220 lbs at 14. If he were to meltdown we would get the boot for sure & I wouldn't blame them a bit.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasutie721 View Post
I lived in Coney Island for 50 yrs. and it is fun with all the attractions. It is very! Very! Expensive so make sure you have money to spend because the kids is going to want everything. Also stay within the area of the rides and boardwalk because a few blocks down is the area of a lot of crime and housing projects. Enjoy
Yeah & he has no fear. Like ... zero. Plus I have to ride with him in the same seat, on everything. I hope I can do this with him, he's a good kid & he doesn't have much to look forward to. He's a lot of work. I just hope I can, thank you for the encouragement.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:15 PM

19,107 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasutie721 View Post
Yeah, don't bother going west of the Cyclones stadium cause it turns into real Brooklyn real quick.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My son Luke found it online & he wants to go. I just have this knot in my stomach because the only way it was going to happen was with a miracle. There was this small chance. But anyway, Meh. Everybody on CD knows our story.
I haven't seen you post before in the NY section of the forum so I don't know your story.

From the brief info you gave in the post, I'm guessing your son is autistic and wants to come to NYC but your a bit unsure to bring him here?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I haven't seen you post before in the NY section of the forum so I don't know your story.

From the brief info you gave in the post, I'm guessing your son is autistic and wants to come to NYC but your a bit unsure to bring him here?
Yes, my youngest son is Autistic. I post a lot on the general sub forums & readers over there are pretty familiar with Luke’s story. I’m sort of a displaced person in the conversations:

Empathetic to those who frequent the Caregivers sub forum, although they are mostly talking about caregiving for elderly parents for years up to a decade or so & I am a disabled child’s primary caregiver & this is forever.

I keep finding myself lurking in the Retirement sub forum, although many there are from my parents generation. When I left the employed world 12 years ago to take care of Luke I truly thought I would get things straightened out & be back to work. That never happened. It was a forced early retirement & I’ve been on a “fixed income” now since I was 38.

The only way I was going to be able to swing this for Luke is that I was promised part of his dad’s tax return but it’s so late. It didn’t come today either. Basically, out of desperation, I wondered if maybe I wouldn’t need that after all but that would probably not be wise.

I’m a bit impatient at times but honestly; if I were to wait until I had “enough money” he wouldn’t get to do anything! I managed to take him camping in 2016, just where he wanted to go: The Great Sand Dunes. I managed to get him to the ocean in 2014.

(Well, okay. Yes, I drove the electrically spontaneous 19 year old Nissan 1,200 Miles cross country with 3 kids & a dog & without buying any fast food. And I did break down in the middle of the night on Raton Pass during an epic thunderstorm but managed to get a ride all the way home with ... Leo. From Roswell. Who spoke no English.) Luke took it all in stride but honestly. There must be an easier way ...

Luke is classically Autistic but yet atypical in many ways. He was non-verbal & in diapers until the age of 8, he walks differently, flaps, incessantly hums or shrieks, is prone to wandering (wears a GPS tracker for that now) & is oblivious to traffic, water, animals & sketchy people. He is very large for his age & his pediatrician estimates he will be about 6’7” when fully grown. At 14 he is 6’2”, 220 lbs & wears a size 14 EE shoe. Add to that the recent addition of puberty & aggression & I have my hands full. Both hands.

But Luke just knows things. He’s smarter than I am; I am sure of it. He draws & sings ... made a profoundly deep video clip when my mom died of angels in her room. He said he saw the “two grandmas” that came to get her.

He is fearless & wants to see the world: Japan, NYC, Mexico, Egypt ... He taught himself Google Earth & I actually learned about it from him. I don’t know what made him him decide on Coney Island but he had researched it for months.

See. I did it again, rambling on about Luke! Hopefully we will make it out there this summer. Today was a hard day. I screwed up by being so optimistic a few months ago.

Last edited by coschristi; 07-04-2018 at 02:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Just be aware that Coney Island is super packed with people during the warmer months. There's a lot of loud noise, bright lights, and people who might not honor personal space and end up touching or pushing. I don't know how Luke reacts to a lot of sensory stimulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City