U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2018, 01:39 AM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,717,926 times
Reputation: 5969

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8458...7i13312!8i6656

I noticed this while browsing through google maps street view, a high rise apartment building in The Bronx with a fire escape! The idea of going down a fire escape from the 12th floor sounds terrifying. Are these buildings common in some neighborhoods or are they a rarity?

From an aesthetic standpoint though, I do like them. Looks like a tenement building on steroids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,944 posts, read 688,977 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8458...7i13312!8i6656

I noticed this while browsing through google maps street view, a high rise apartment building in The Bronx with a fire escape! The idea of going down a fire escape from the 12th floor sounds terrifying. Are these buildings common in some neighborhoods or are they a rarity?

From an aesthetic standpoint though, I do like them. Looks like a tenement building on steroids
This is strange cause these types of building exist along Broadway in West Harlem and those buildings do not have fire escapes!

Iím looking at a similar building on West 143rd and Broadway right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,717,926 times
Reputation: 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
This is strange cause these types of building exist along Broadway in West Harlem and those buildings do not have fire escapes!

I’m looking at a similar building on West 143rd and Broadway right now!
The buildings you're referring to (hopefully) have proper fire stairs I'm guessing.

And I realized that the one I posted is 16 stories, yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 12:09 PM
 
5,772 posts, read 5,278,019 times
Reputation: 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The idea of going down a fire escape from the 12th floor sounds terrifying.
More terrifying then staying in a burning building?

I'd have no problem running down it like I'm running stairs for a workout. Zoooooommmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 12:22 PM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,717,926 times
Reputation: 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
More terrifying then staying in a burning building?

I'd have no problem running down it like I'm running stairs for a workout. Zoooooommmmm
More terrifying than being in a burning building, no

More terrifying than running down proper fire stairs, probably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,944 posts, read 688,977 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The buildings you're referring to (hopefully) have proper fire stairs I'm guessing.

And I realized that the one I posted is 16 stories, yikes!
Yea 16 stories because of the hill but 12 stories on the other side but this is a nice catch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 04:41 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,463 posts, read 1,876,350 times
Reputation: 1340
OMG, that's crazy. I'd never go down that fire escape, but then again, I don't want to get burned. I wouldn't know what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 PM
 
Location: NY
1,455 posts, read 353,188 times
Reputation: 1069
Depending on zoning and borough any home
3 family and above should have a fire escape
according to current code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,303 posts, read 26,747,133 times
Reputation: 9123
Ugly, crazy, stupid, and certainly illegal now...probably illegal the day it was built. A fire at any of the intermediate floors will render the fire escape red hot and useless.


Fill the fire escape with most of the people living there at any one time and the whole shebang will likely detach and fall.


Quote:
More terrifying then staying in a burning building?

Probably yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 07:38 PM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,717,926 times
Reputation: 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ugly, crazy, stupid, and certainly illegal now...probably illegal the day it was built. A fire at any of the intermediate floors will render the fire escape red hot and useless.


Fill the fire escape with most of the people living there at any one time and the whole shebang will likely detach and fall.





Probably yes.
That's why you have to get out ASAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top