U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 AM

30 posts, read 11,926 times

Advertisements

thanks for the link to that Danish church. This place looks really awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM

7,591 posts, read 2,710,863 times
There is a wonderful Swedish church in Midtown (Church of Sweden). I had a Swedish co-worker when I was in college and she would take me there for Swedish coffee and pastries.

There isn't much of a Danish presence aside from what's been listed, so you'll likely have to connect with other Scandinavians in the area. I have seen Danes here on vacation but they don't generally have a reason to come and live here, as Denmark's economy is very healthy. As others have said, Bay Ridge still has a Norwegian population though more assimilated since they've been down there for years, but there isn't much else that I can think of. Oh and there's also FIKA (Swedish chain). If you get a good barista, the coffee is fantastic, and they offer Swedish pastries. I can't vouch for the food though, but the pastries are tasty and typical Scandinavian flair (not overly flavorful or sweet).

A little pricey for some people, but isn't everything Scandinavian? You guys live a very high quality of life, so I doubt the high costs will concern you.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Wasn't Williamsburg considered little copenhagan or something? What are the danish festivals btw?
Williamsburg? Little Copenhagen? Since when? lol Oh I also forget about the Scandinavian places in Grand Central. Again a little pricey, but there's a restaurant that you should like.

Here it is:

Agern Restaurant – a season-driven restaurant and bar located in Grand Central Terminal

There's the Great Northern Food Hall as well:

http://greatnorthernfood.com/

Maybe you're thinking of the Nordic food festival?

https://www.travelandleisure.com/art...d-festival-nyc

There's also a few Swedish spots that I've been wanting to try, one of them by Marcus Samuelsson:

Aquavit

Aquavit is considered "Nordic" thus typical Swedish food, but covering the Scandinavian scene in general. The Scandinavians have a lot in common, including food like lingonberries.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Williamsburg? Little Copenhagen? Since when? lol Oh I also forget about the Scandinavian places in Grand Central. Again a little pricey, but there's a restaurant that you should like.

Here it is:

Agern Restaurant a season-driven restaurant and bar located in Grand Central Terminal

There's the Great Northern Food Hall as well:

Great Northern Food Hall | MeyersUSA

Maybe you're thinking of the Nordic food festival?

https://www.travelandleisure.com/art...d-festival-nyc

There's also a few Swedish spots that I've been wanting to try, one of them by Marcus Samuelsson:

Aquavit

Aquavit is considered "Nordic" thus typical Swedish food, but covering the Scandinavian scene in general. The Scandinavians have a lot in common, including food like lingonberries.
Wow. That Nordic food festival looks very interesting.. i'll think he'll love this.

As for little copenhagan
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ess-incubator/

Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
That's interesting. I still wouldn't call it little Copenhagen. Not quite enough Danes living there IMO.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There is a wonderful Swedish church in Midtown (Church of Sweden). I had a Swedish co-worker when I was in college and she would take me there for Swedish coffee and pastries.

There isn't much of a Danish presence aside from what's been listed, so you'll likely have to connect with other Scandinavians in the area. I have seen Danes here on vacation but they don't generally have a reason to come and live here, as Denmark's economy is very healthy. As others have said, Bay Ridge still has a Norwegian population though more assimilated since they've been down there for years, but there isn't much else that I can think of. Oh and there's also FIKA (Swedish chain). If you get a good barista, the coffee is fantastic, and they offer Swedish pastries. I can't vouch for the food though, but the pastries are tasty and typical Scandinavian flair (not overly flavorful or sweet).

A little pricey for some people, but isn't everything Scandinavian? You guys live a very high quality of life, so I doubt the high costs will concern you.
Thanks. I'm not Danish. Me and my sister are filipino, he's Danish. It's his first time in the USA and they moved here in NYC to start a new career. He's driven to be a professional Illustrator/Artist, my sister is the same.. they couldn't find jobs in that field in Denmark which is why they took this risk. We have family here (filipino obviously) but he has no friends or family, so i expect him to be hit with homesickness here and there.

The great thing about NYC is that it does have a multi-cultural scene for every background -everyone, no matter what race/culture has a window they can open to just have some of their cultural fresh air- however i don't know the Danish scenes here which is why I am asking. My biggest hope is (other than getting a job) that he finds friends from Denmark and have some windows where he can escape and live in his culture, because IMO that helps out ease the hurt of homesickness.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,332,580 times
OH! How could I forget about the Nordic Foodhall in Grand Central! They have lots of Scandinavian prepared foods like open face sandwiches and Scandinavian porridges, Danish hotdogs, etc. They sell Danish rye bread too!. They used to sell Swedish style rye bread too but th Danish one is just as good. We buy it every week as one of our staples.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM

7,578 posts, read 8,005,409 times
We have a recent crop of Swedes working for Spotify, but again, not too much of a Danish presence. There's not a great love between Swedes and Norwegians. The Swedes and the Danes get a long a little better, but they really are 2 different cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City