U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Could do top of the hill in Washington Heights. No need to up the cost of travel with the Metro North or Express Bus (pretty expensive relatively to commute on!). It's really nice up there on Pinehurst and 184th or something like 187th and Fort Washington.
Upper Manhattan is a completely different lifestyle to Riverdale, which is more suburban and a bedroom community. The quieter the better in Riverdale. The OP would spend a little more in transportation, but not have to put with the crappy subway service, nor the panhandlers and bums everywhere. Metro-North is a much better ride and they have quiet cars too.

Washington Heights I couldn't do. Too hilly, and then you have loud ghetto people in parts too with their parties late at night. No thanks. And God help you if the A goes out. Your life is tied to that stupid train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 1,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's about a 45 minute ride. I haven't factored in the walk from the subway or the walk to the shuttle but let's say 5 - 10 minutes each way. Roughly an hour....

With Metro-North you'd have a much more predictable commute that isn't tied to traffic, but one more transfer. The monthly would cost $208, plus you'd need a Metrocard ($121 for the monthly for the subway and shuttle bus).
That's doable, good to know. I'll keep it on the short list and see if there are any apartment listings near the metronorth at a price point where an extra $200 in commuting costs is still worthwhile. If I can get an equivalent apartment in Riverdale versus Upper Manhattan for, say, $600 less in rent, the transfer and extra commute costs would make sense. Plus I could change my transit to the bus if it's better in some seasons than others. But at least now I have a sense that we'll probably only want to look up there if it's a great place for a great price.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 1,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Could do top of the hill in Washington Heights. No need to up the cost of travel with the Metro North or Express Bus (pretty expensive relatively to commute on!). It's really nice up there on Pinehurst and 184th or something like 187th and Fort Washington.
What does really nice mean? Nice apartments, pretty neighborhood? Parks, restaurants, charm?

I haven't been around upper manhattan neighborhoods hardly at all, with the exception of one friend's area around Convent/145th. Was also hoping to get a sense of what the neighborhoods are like and what areas area sketchy and maybe not great to be a woman walking around alone in.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:56 PM

7,587 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmany23 View Post
That's doable, good to know. I'll keep it on the short list and see if there are any apartment listings near the metronorth at a price point where an extra $200 in commuting costs is still worthwhile. If I can get an equivalent apartment in Riverdale versus Upper Manhattan for, say, $600 less in rent, the transfer and extra commute costs would make sense. Plus I could change my transit to the bus if it's better in some seasons than others. But at least now I have a sense that we'll probably only want to look up there if it's a great place for a great price.
This is a building I recommend:

2475 Palisade Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10463

It is steps from the Spuyten Duyvil station, located in Spuyten Duyvil with beautiful views of the Hudson. You could likely see the train station from you apartment in that building or several others. Most of the other buildings along Palisade Avenue like the historic Charlotte Brontė Villa are co-ops or condos, but on occasion they may have rentals that open up. One bedrooms in that building (2475 Palisade Avenue) have been around $2,000 tops, so it certainly fits into your budget.

There's a step street to reach the Spuyten Duyvil station. Coming back perhaps you could take one of the shuttle buses up the hill to avoid the stairs, but the stairs aren't impossible. I've done them.

It's a beautiful part of Riverdale, where the buildings are built into the cliffs overlooking the Hudson. You can also see Inwood Park across the river. The only down side is it is a bit isolated from shopping. You would need to take a bus or do shopping in Manhattan if you don't want a car, or you can always rent a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or