U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,523,346 times

Advertisements

Is there a possibility in your building that you could post a polite notice - either in the lobby, or on every floor - politely explaining, saying that the building staff is instituting a search, but meanwhile, could everyone please check to ensure that they didn't accidentally pick up a package addressed to you?

You will probably not get the package back, and you cannot force the doorman to reimburse you, but at least you'd be showing your earnestness, and it will made the doorman uncomfortable enough to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM

960 posts, read 1,174,264 times
i've had this happen once or twice and just had amazon refund or resend
my building is run very well though and i know all of the workers. i'd think its a shipping or tracking mistake 99% of the time

Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 PM

5,737 posts, read 5,185,684 times
Yes call Amazon, problem solved. They actual have decent customer service as much as I hate them. They have horrible delivery service though as my packages rarely reach me when I buy from them.
And do not take $25 from the guy. If he tries say its okay buddy. Thanks for offering though.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 765,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes call Amazon...they have horrible delivery service though as my packages rarely reach me when I buy from them.
I've finally bit the bullet and arranged my packages to be sent via Amazon locker. It's pretty good! Most of the packages are delivered via UPS (not by smart post UPS/FED EX or whatever it's called garbage) and I get my packages safe and sound and the best part is, I don't have to worry about them never delivering or sitting out on the lobby just asking to get stolen.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Perhaps the poor are not allowed to receive packages?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 AM

23,274 posts, read 16,114,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I could give a rat's @ss about who gets in trouble. It's about principle. The package should be there. I'd give them a pass this time and give a stern warning and call it a day. As others have said, if Amazon can replace it, no need to keep running around in circles and making a big deal over it, but make it clear that you expect this issue to be remedied going forward. When you're too nice people will take advantage.
Agreed. It would make the complaint the package was lost, and see if Amazon would redeliver. If Amazon does not redeliver, then ask the management company to reimburse you.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM

23,274 posts, read 16,114,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooopHOOP View Post
So I live in a lottery unit in a large building, and a few weeks ago one of my amazon packages got lost somehow. The tracking showed it arrived at the building and the building's notification system shows that one of the doormen logged it into their system, but when I went to pick it up they couldn't find it. I came back the next day and nothing still. Came back on the weekend and the supervisor was there and we checked the security camera together because the doorman who logged the package insisted I picked it up. The footage showed I received some packages, but not the one that was missing.

They said they were going to talk to the guy and see whats up. I then go on vacation for a week and during that time I decided to let it go... it was only $25 worth of junk I bought off of Amazon... but then when I came back to pickup another delivery the other day and another doorman notices the missing package i still logged as not picked up in their system so that sort of renewed the discussion as the supervisor was standing next to him... I pretty much told them that I don't want to get anyone in trouble over a $25 package (though that ship might have already sailed) and he said he'd just get the guy to give me $25... which feels weird.

I'm not certain they know I'm in a lottery unit so they might just think I'm just a well off ******* trying to take it out on them...

I keep going back and forth on what to do... They definitely messed up and in my head I feel like if I let this slide then they'd probably let me slide or cover for me in some indeterminate way in the future.

Or should I just be an ******* and shake the tree until $25 falls out?
Number one the lottery issue is irrelevant. So is whether the guy gets in trouble. You made your complaint. Now tell the same thing to Amazon, so see if they will redeliver. If they will not redeliver, tell the management company. This should happen again and if it does you know someone working there is a THIEF in which case you're an IDIOT if you continue to be polite and all concerned about employees who are stealing from you.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 AM

87 posts, read 58,341 times
I recently ordered a TV stand from amazon and the building mgt emailed me that they received it. Went downstairs and saw two big boxes with my apt number written in marker. I signed for both while thinking it seemed overkill for a tv stand but i managed to get both boxes on the elevator. Riding up i looked at the boxes and noticed one was actually a BED FRAME. I rode the elevator back down and took it back to the front desk.

If they can make an easy mistake with such a large item - Bet they can make it with a small box. Just he person who "accidentally" signed for it wasn't honest.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 4,452,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadlove View Post
Does the front desk have cameras? Maybe someone else in the building picked it up by mistake? Could they check the cameras.
I agree. Either someone picked it up by mistake (although by now they should know of the mistake) or the doorman took it.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 AM

4,171 posts, read 3,464,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooopHOOP View Post
So I live in a lottery unit in a large building, and a few weeks ago one of my amazon packages got lost somehow. The tracking showed it arrived at the building and the building's notification system shows that one of the doormen logged it into their system, but when I went to pick it up they couldn't find it. I came back the next day and nothing still. Came back on the weekend and the supervisor was there and we checked the security camera together because the doorman who logged the package insisted I picked it up. The footage showed I received some packages, but not the one that was missing.

They said they were going to talk to the guy and see whats up. I then go on vacation for a week and during that time I decided to let it go... it was only $25 worth of junk I bought off of Amazon... but then when I came back to pickup another delivery the other day and another doorman notices the missing package i still logged as not picked up in their system so that sort of renewed the discussion as the supervisor was standing next to him... I pretty much told them that I don't want to get anyone in trouble over a $25 package (though that ship might have already sailed) and he said he'd just get the guy to give me $25... which feels weird.

I'm not certain they know I'm in a lottery unit so they might just think I'm just a well off ******* trying to take it out on them...

I keep going back and forth on what to do... They definitely messed up and in my head I feel like if I let this slide then they'd probably let me slide or cover for me in some indeterminate way in the future.

Or should I just be an ******* and shake the tree until $25 falls out?
First off, they know you live in a lottery unit. That’s not the issue. Let the doorman run you that $25 and call Amazon and tell em your sh** was lost, for a replacement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City