Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

So I live in a lottery unit in a large building, and a few weeks ago one of my amazon packages got lost somehow. The tracking showed it arrived at the building and the building's notification system shows that one of the doormen logged it into their system, but when I went to pick it up they couldn't find it. I came back the next day and nothing still. Came back on the weekend and the supervisor was there and we checked the security camera together because the doorman who logged the package insisted I picked it up. The footage showed I received some packages, but not the one that was missing.

They said they were going to talk to the guy and see whats up. I then go on vacation for a week and during that time I decided to let it go... it was only $25 worth of junk I bought off of Amazon... but then when I came back to pickup another delivery the other day and another doorman notices the missing package i still logged as not picked up in their system so that sort of renewed the discussion as the supervisor was standing next to him... I pretty much told them that I don't want to get anyone in trouble over a $25 package (though that ship might have already sailed) and he said he'd just get the guy to give me $25... which feels weird.

I'm not certain they know I'm in a lottery unit so they might just think I'm just a well off ******* trying to take it out on them...

I keep going back and forth on what to do... They definitely messed up and in my head I feel like if I let this slide then they'd probably let me slide or cover for me in some indeterminate way in the future.

Or should I just be an ******* and shake the tree until $25 falls out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:01 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you want to let them off the hook, you could just say you contacted Amazon and they agreed to give you a credit toward a future purchase, but that it was only a one-time deal and won't happen again if the packages are lost on the receiver's end. But that's only if you want to lie to them about it.

I think the problem with making the doorman pay you $25 is that you still have to live there and deal with these people on a daily basis. For me, it would be worth eating the $25 in order not to have a poor relationship with people who are there in a "service" capacity.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM

133 posts, read 130,376 times
Does the front desk have cameras? Maybe someone else in the building picked it up by mistake? Could they check the cameras.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
If the doorman made an error, he needs to deal with his employer. There has to be a system set up. This is an important feature of his job.

If the doorman gets screwed ,it is not cause of you.does not matter how you got the apartment.its not their business.you are not different from any other tenant.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Doing too much for a $25 package

All you had to do was call amazon and they would replace what was lost

Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,900 times
I don't feel you are doing too much, these kind of problems need to be resolved ASAP, so no more packages get lost.

When the guy approaches you with $25, if you really don't need it, give it back to him, with a strict warning.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you want to let them off the hook, you could just say you contacted Amazon and they agreed to give you a credit toward a future purchase, but that it was only a one-time deal and won't happen again if the packages are lost on the receiver's end. But that's only if you want to lie to them about it.

I think the problem with making the doorman pay you $25 is that you still have to live there and deal with these people on a daily basis. For me, it would be worth eating the $25 in order not to have a poor relationship with people who are there in a "service" capacity.
Talk to the management company about what happened and show proof. Talk to the Super or property manager about what happened. I don't think the doorman will be fired over a 25 dollar amazon package, instead recieve a warning. Packages will go missing time to time with doormen buildings. Make sure the management company has a system in place for when packs we are received and and relinquished to the appropriate tenant or vendor.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
You are paying for the doorman's salary. If he screws up 2 more times start asking questions. As long as Amazon redelivers or issued a refund it's whatever.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
I could give a rat's @ss about who gets in trouble. It's about principle. The package should be there. I'd give them a pass this time and give a stern warning and call it a day. As others have said, if Amazon can replace it, no need to keep running around in circles and making a big deal over it, but make it clear that you expect this issue to be remedied going forward. When you're too nice people will take advantage.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
What difference does it make that you live in a lottery unit?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City