U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Status: "getting there...slowly but surely" (set 1 day ago)

1,620 posts, read 432,641 times

Advertisements

What's the hurry?

If you're on a fast track where you are, why not continue that path and then move when you have more options for better salary etc.? You really provided substantial reasons to make a change of this kind.

That said, I'm assuming you are in some kind of sales work (commission/needing a car). The car costs and logistics are going to be a huge pain in the a**. At the least, make sure you can expense your car expenses whether you keep your own or use zipcar (or similar).

About to turn 30, so reviewing the life plan. I get it. But I think you'd be better off making a ton of money in Colorado and being able to visit NYC any time you wanted to, than actually moving. You can move later .

My two euro.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM

598 posts, read 196,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Why would you salary be lower in NYC for the same job?
I’m not getting that but I guess he’s including taxes. But still nyc has a higher cost of living, which most jobs take a factor of, still shouldn’t be a 20k pay cut.

None the less as a single young man 80-100k salary is more than enough for a studio in queens or Brooklyn at $2000 or get a roommate for a 2 bedroom and save some more money.

Dating is hard anywhere but nyc has the variety you won’t find in Denver.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM

1,063 posts, read 324,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Dating is hard anywhere but nyc has the variety you won’t find in Denver.
Variety doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

There are a wide variety of Women here. But I find generally the quality is low. When you speak to these Women they generally fall into a few different unbalanced categories:

The Career GRRRL (Never Available)
The Gossip GRRRL (More focused on the grapevine than you)
The Club/Concert GRRRL (Groupie)
The Famiglia chick (Says she needs to wipe her Grandpa's butt so she can't meet up today)
The Naive/Farm chick (Gotta be home at 9pm, oops can't meet up today need to go to Evangelical Church on Fri night)
The Beat Up looking chick (Buttaface - OR - Great face but C-section scars and cellulite)
The Punk chick (Always want to hang out at 3am on a Sunday)
The Bi-Polar chick (Jekyll and HYDE)
The TED Talk chick (Will talk your ear off for hours about Global warming but can't get warm down there)
The Tomi Lahren chick (Not an independent thinker)
The Sara Huckabee chick (Looks like a Grizzly Bear but still trying to get in your pants)

There are a lot of variety of Women here. But quality and balance is still rare. Why do you think most Women here are single. Because they don't have the balanced characteristics required to keep a Man. Too many extremes.

Either she's intelligent OR attractive OR balanced mentally.

Generally if she exceeds one she is deficient in the other two. The ones that have a good balance of all 3 do not come to NY single - They are already taken. The reason is partly political. It is way too liberal here which attracts extreme left ideology, romanticizes baby momma culture and strong independent SJWs. Everything in life needs balance. Extreme left or extreme right is not good. Colorado seems to be free thinking, Independent and Libertarian which I align with. Unfortunately with the recent transplants from Cali that may change.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Status: "getting there...slowly but surely" (set 1 day ago)

1,620 posts, read 432,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaman View Post
variety doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

There are a wide variety of women here. But i find generally the quality is low. When you speak to these women they generally fall into a few different unbalanced categories:

The career grrrl (never available)
the gossip grrrl (more focused on the grapevine than you)
the club/concert grrrl (groupie)
the famiglia chick (says she needs to wipe her grandpa's butt so she can't meet up today)
the naive/farm chick (gotta be home at 9pm, oops can't meet up today need to go to evangelical church on fri night)
the beat up looking chick (buttaface - or - great face but c-section scars and cellulite)
the punk chick (always want to hang out at 3am on a sunday)
the bi-polar chick (jekyll and hyde)
the ted talk chick (will talk your ear off for hours about global warming but can't get warm down there)
the tomi lahren chick (not an independent thinker)
the sara huckabee chick (looks like a grizzly bear but still trying to get in your pants)

there are a lot of variety of women here. But quality and balance is still rare. Why do you think most women here are single. Because they don't have the balanced characteristics required to keep a man. Too many extremes.

Either she's intelligent or attractive or balanced mentally.

Generally if she exceeds one she is deficient in the other two. The ones that have a good balance of all 3 do not come to ny single - they are already taken. The reason is partly political. It is way too liberal here which attracts extreme left ideology, romanticizes baby momma culture and strong independent sjws. Everything in life needs balance. Extreme left or extreme right is not good. Colorado seems to be free thinking, independent and libertarian which i align with. Unfortunately with the recent transplants from cali that may change.
OMG.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
OMG.
Sorry but that's been my experience and observation. I have quite a few friends who are still single and still hearing stories of getting one of these types of Women. There is always something wrong.

Always an ex lurking in the background. Always a quarter life crisis. Always drama!

Now there are quality Women for sure. But it literally takes a 10-point strategy plan to find them. I sh** you not I had to develop one of those to find my Wife. Most good Women do not have large social circles so it is incredibly difficult to find them in a city of 8 million. Based on my Wife's social circle the likelihood of me finding her again in the right circumstances and timing is slim to none. This is what made me realize that the situation for most Men in NY is basically slim pickings and the odds are against you big time.

You are frankly weeding through a lot of readily available trash.

This is another reason why many successful Men are single as well because they don't have the time or desire to sift through it all of the garbage to get to the quality.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:25 AM

328 posts, read 119,555 times
The #1 reason people move to New York is the diversity.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM

42 posts, read 22,899 times
This is what I tell everyone (born and raised NYC poor):

Move here if you can make serious money or have a business that nets you tons of cash. Otherwise, your quality of life is going to go down, especially moving from Colorado. If you are on a budget: your living situation will be worse, your health will be worse and your commute time will be longer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you aren't making 400-500k. That's the kind of money you need to make to live in Manhattan and enjoy all it has to offer. And even that's not that much if you have kids and a family later.

So you make 100k, you will be most likely living in a semi sh*t hole and counting pennies (I'm counting saving a litllte for retirement).

There's always housing lotteries but you have to really poor and connected to get something nice.

Some people are totally fine with being thrifty till they make big bucks here. They make the right connections, find the right women and love it. They're fine with not living in the best location, not eating the nicest food and being around slightly sketchy people.

There some very specific sacrifices you will have to make. I can make a list of them but I'm sure you already know what they are.

Think long and hard about the life you are giving up in Colorado and if your replacement life in NYC will be any better. Also think about what you will need to do to reach your goals.

Remember, you are going to have to bust your ass here, probably way more in Colorado where you are probably in the top 5% intellectually wise. In NYC, everyone in your field will be super smart.

Excuse the grammar and typos, Siri isn't perfect.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentix View Post
this is what i tell everyone (born and raised nyc poor):

Move here if you can make serious money or have a business that nets you tons of cash. Otherwise, your quality of life is going to go down, especially moving from colorado. If you are on a budget: Your living situation will be worse, your health will be worse and your commute time will be longer.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems you aren't making 400-500k. That's the kind of money you need to make to live in manhattan and enjoy all it has to offer. And even that's not that much if you have kids and a family later.

So you make 100k, you will be most likely living in a semi sh*t hole and counting pennies (i'm counting saving a litllte for retirement).

There's always housing lotteries but you have to really poor and connected to get something nice.

Some people are totally fine with being thrifty till they make big bucks here. They make the right connections, find the right women and love it. They're fine with not living in the best location, not eating the nicest food and being around slightly sketchy people.

There some very specific sacrifices you will have to make. I can make a list of them but i'm sure you already know what they are.

Think long and hard about the life you are giving up in colorado and if your replacement life in nyc will be any better. Also think about what you will need to do to reach your goals.

Remember, you are going to have to bust your ass here, probably way more in colorado where you are probably in the top 5% intellectually wise. In nyc, everyone in your field will be super smart.

Excuse the grammar and typos, siri isn't perfect.
+100

Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 PM

2,592 posts, read 3,380,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Life is short do what makes you happy. Don't let money control that. No one can decide but you.

IF you do leave current job, keep an open communication line with them. Express you want to try out NYC but may not want to be there forever and see if it would be possible if a job opens up down the line they would consider you going back.

And don't let people tell you you need 6 figures to survive in the city and have fun. I'm in a field that is not financially smart or brings me a lot of income. However I love my life. More money would be great, a better neighborhood would be wonderful but as I am I'm living a damn good life.
Everything you said - this is great advice! (but I can't rep it)

Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 PM

72 posts, read 321,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDecisions View Post
Hey All,
1.) I indeed have a job lined up, but with taxes, and the line of work I do (heavy on commissions), it's a pay cut. I estimate the cut to be around 20%. I foresee a drop from 100k to 80k a year for factors completely out of my hands.
Who said you can't find a much better, higher paying job in NYC later on? You're young, have experience, successful career track record. You are talking about a possible promotion in Colorado, why not strive to get a promotion here or get a new job here? After all, so many jobs, companies, opportunities in the city that never sleeps.
Quote:
2.) I hate NY Winters. Colorado is dry cold, so it's really like an extension of fall. The snow melts in a day, and it's not unusual for 65 degree days in mid January. I threw a BBQ in mid February of last year, was wearing shorts and a tee shirt.
In my experience, the worst part is the Feb/early March when it can get very cold or snow. Dec (most of the time) is pretty mild. You can have days with 50F during the day in early Dec. To me, the summers here are much worse, especially Jul/Aug, when it can get very hot and very humid, and waiting for a subway in a station that feels like sauna is not fun. But even that you can get used to.

Quote:
3.) I would have to have a car in NY. This needs no elaboration.
plenty of people live in Brooklyn, Queens or the suburbs nearby (NJ, Westchester, Long Island) and have a car. You can even find a place where the parking would be free, although takes some effort.

Quote:
I can offset costs of living with a roommate in a place like queens, no issue there, but undeniably it will be more expensive and it will be a payout for sure.
If you make 100K (and I think you can certainly do, based on your description) you can afford your own place in Queens in a nice area, but may have to commute to Manhattan and spend about 1 hour or so one way, but people do it and many like it.

So the key point is, this place is good because it has opportunity to grow. That includes your career. You look at your career and salary as something static, where it is amazing and growing in Colorado, and less/fixed in NYC. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or