U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 04:29 PM

1,922 posts, read 655,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'll be honest, my mental image of you until now was pretty dark skinned. I have to create a new one now
Lol I’m no wear near dark skinned but I’m not offended. And to be honest I’m not light skinned. I’m light brown and keep my hair in waves and dress like a pretty boy. That’s probably what it was.

When I got my hair braided a few months back the Dominicans on Broadway were all in!

But I’ll let you know your definately offend a light skinned/mulatto Haitian because they have to deal with that since birth lol!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:33 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Lol I’m no wear near dark skinned but I’m not offended. And to be honest I’m not light skinned. I’m light brown and keep my hair in waves and dress like a pretty boy. That’s probably what it was.

When I got my hair braided a few months back the Dominicans on Broadway were all in!

But I’ll let you know your definately offend a light skinned/mulatto Haitian because they have to deal with that since birth lol!
Well I knew nothing about your appearance other than that you're a late 20s Haitian-American male, so I was just guessing lol. I really wish we could make a thread where we guess what other posters look like, because I have a mental image for everyone.

Were those gay Dominican guys?

And no, I've always been aware that mulatto Haitians are a thing. I don't automatically assume mulattos are Hispanic the way I do mestizos. And I wonder ,does NYC even have a lot of white parent/black parent mulattos?

Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 1,192,601 times
Big difference, one is an immigrant while the other is born into it. The struggle is not the same. So,one group is more of the hick kind.

You will find Dominicans that never cared to master English-language, while Puerto Rican old timers fair well.

Gang crap, while locked in, you either spanish,black,or white. But outside, your hood is your hood, and everyone stays loyal to their own. No one group really mixes in with the others ,unless its the block, only when integrated.

There are only 3 classes, broke as f, getting by, and rich.

The Dominicans don't follow, but set trends. Dominicans dominate hair, beisbol,and Latin music.

Puerto Ricans would dominate public service or public housing. They did lay a thick foundation in handball, and letting the world know about salsa and Miss Universe. In that they rule.

Puerto Ricans still rock jericurls and gold chains, not too much with Dominicans. Dominicans still go to church, and embarrassed of low income housing, not the same with Puerto ricans.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Big difference, one is an immigrant while the other is born into it. The struggle is not the same. So,one group is more of the hick kind.

You will find Dominicans that never cared to master English-language, while Puerto Rican old timers fair well.

Gang crap, while locked in, you either spanish,black,or white. But outside, your hood is your hood, and everyone stays loyal to their own. No one group really mixes in with the others ,unless its the block, only when integrated.

There are only 3 classes, broke as f, getting by, and rich.

The Dominicans don't follow, but set trends. Dominicans dominate hair, beisbol,and Latin music.

Puerto Ricans would dominate public service or public housing. They did lay a thick foundation in handball, and letting the world know about salsa and Miss Universe. In that they rule.

Puerto Ricans still rock jericurls and gold chains, not too much with Dominicans. Dominicans still go to church, and embarrassed of low income housing, not the same with Puerto ricans.
NOOOOO, that's definitely Puerto Rico. The massive Reggaeton wave occurring right now is mostly due to Puerto Rican artists (Ozuna, Bad Bunny, Farruko, Daddy Yankee, Nicky Jam, etc.) and some Colombian guys too like J Balvin.

And I'm really not sure what you're getting at, Dominicans live in some of the worst neighborhoods in the city and there are plenty of them in the PJs. I'm not sure if they're better off than Puerto Ricans at all.

NY born Dominicans and Ricans dress pretty much the same. They both copy black fashion

Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 PM

44 posts, read 17,039 times
^^ Americans don't differenciate between "dembow" and "reggaeton"..

Anyways, for some dominicans, living in the PJ's is a massive upgrade, compared to the miserable hellish "favela" type neighborhoods some of them come from in DR. Especially those that come from the capital or Santiago. Of course, there is a fare share of those that come from middle class in DR and moved to NY for various reasons, but right now, the ones arriving lately come from literal hell.

As for the topic of this thread, i don't think dominicans copy puertoricans in anything, not even in how they dress.. If anything, puertoricans have been copying us dominicans for ages upon ages.

Last edited by BAP DOM; 07-07-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
^^ Americans don't differenciate between "dembow" and "reggaeton"..

Anyways, for some dominicans, living in the PJ's is a massive upgrade, compared to the miserable hellish "favela" type neighborhoods some of them come from in DR. Especially those that come from the capital or Santiago. Of course, there is a fare share of those that come from middle class in DR and moved to NY for various reasons, but right now, the ones arriving lately come from literal hell.

As for the topic of this thread, i don't think dominicans copy puertoricans in anything, not even in how they dress.. If anything, puertoricans have been copying us dominicans for ages upon ages.
Well Reggaeton was born out of the Jamaican "Dembow" beat so that's kind of a misnomer anyway

And Both PRs and DRs in NYC copy fashion from black guys

Old 07-07-2018, 07:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,172,575 times
the gang assault got me "tuned in" with how dominicans look since there were 10 photos of them
they definitely have their own type of facial features
however their fashion seems to be all the same to me, standard urban street wear, fitted hats and tats and some even with their underwear out like the lowest of the low
i can tell them apart from ricans now and other hispanics, the same way i can tell germans from italians and british from irish and koreans from japanese

do dominicans speak in their own spanish dialect? what about food? do they generally embrace puerto ricans or compete with each other?

guess i'll google it also

Old 07-07-2018, 07:53 PM

44 posts, read 17,039 times
No... Tight pants and tight shirts are the typical dominican wear.. And moccasin shoes without socks..

Slim fit is the dominican style.. Now the standard urban street wear is the way dominican americans like to dress.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM

On the music, El General ,out of Panama, set the template to regaeton music,along with early 90s dancehall.

The new wave,like bad bunny,is not regaeton, but Spanish trap music. Some of the regaeton artist like archangel are getting it right. Still music from the streets. Daddy Yankee can't f with Spanish trap.

But the best are still from THE DR like don omar, retired. And Omega with meringue mambo sound, but not permitted in the USA anymore.and lapiz conciente(?) Spanish street rap on pre trap beats, but still underground.

Salsa, meringue and bachata still is king of the dance clubs. At least DR is 2 for 1. The GOAT of salsa is Dominican, running the gran combo.

And the leading newspaper of the Latinos was/is EL Diario, Again,Dominican.

And with food, DR monfongo is >PR monfongo, as well as other latin dishes, including Cuban.

All dishes are criollo so, that is the common ground.

As for Haitians, and DR, they are cousins, but Haiti has more descendants from Ethiopia? Than the Dark skinned in the DR. There are light skinned Haitians, by the way, and even they are prejudiced to the darker Haitians.

The DR/Haiti conflict has been going on for hundreds of years. The main problem now is migration , doing hard work for less money, and squatting on land. Similar to the USA conflict with Mexico.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Saying the DR copies the DR is like saying Africans copy African Americans, which is far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or