Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
For people that inhabited the same island, it always amazed me how both physically and culturally different they are in NYC.
Yeah it's pretty noteworthy.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:08 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Do Dominicans and Haitians look different? They’re on the same island but apparently there’s a lot of animosity between them, particularly from DR to Haiti. Is it purely cultural or are there significant appearance differences between the two groups?
Haitians are by far more dark skinned but you have many Haitians and Dominicans depending on their skin tone that would look similar. Especially if you are talking about mulatto Haitians!

Mullato Haitians in American have to deal with being mistakened for Dominican all the time and they do get annoyed by it since people think mulatto Haitians are a myth!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's why it annoys me when some activist types insist that Dominicans and Haitians are exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, I think they should get along, but they clearly have differences in physical appearance and culture.
Haitians and Dominicans come from the exact same people racially. Difference is Haiti is a black nation like most of the caribbean nations.

Dominicans and Ricans look different in the shade of their skin but their skin color is nothing unique in the Caribbean. You’ll find African Americans in places like Louisiana that look whiter than both Dominicans and Ricans. You’ll find their complexion in all islands but unlike most islands European had much more mixing in Spanish nations.

And for the record one of my bosses who was Dominican looked 100% African American and even spoke perfect English to go with it!

And he has stories for days how Dominicans would say nasty things about him in Spanish without realizing that he’s one of them

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 07-07-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Haitians are by far more dark skinned but you have many Haitians and Dominicans depending on their skin tone that would look similar. Especially if you are talking about mulatto Haitians!
That is true, but I feel like you can tell them apart 95+% of the time, at least in NYC. The average Dominican to me looks not much different than the average Puerto Rican.

Some people from the "woke" crowd get super butthurt when you point this out, I don't get it.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Haitians and Dominicans come from the exact same people. Difference is Haiti is a black nation like most of the caribbean nations.

Dominicans and Ricans look different in the shade of their skin but their skin color is nothing unique in the Caribbean. You’ll find African Americans in places like Louisiana that look whiter than both Dominicans and Ricans.
The average Rican is only around 20% black, so an African-American who looks like that would have to have some serious white admixture

Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Ruh roh. Let me run to Cachapas for a pork pepito and a chinola for sh** is about to get real

Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM

For the record I’m Haitian and whenever I go to Broadway in Harlem the Dominicans immediately speak Spanish to me. Now my best friend who is dark skinned gets no attention from the Dominican guys because they immediately assume he’s not one of them!

I need to start retaking Spanish lessons!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
For the record I’m Haitian and whenever I go to Broadway in Harlem the Dominicans immediately speak Spanish to me. Now my best friend who is dark skinned gets no attention from the Dominican guys because they immediately assume he’s not one of them!

I need to start retaking Spanish lessons!
I'll be honest, my mental image of you until now was pretty dark skinned. I have to create a new one now

Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The average Rican is only around 20% black, so an African-American who looks like that would have to have some serious white admixture
Obviously so! But African Americans like that do exist and you’ll see a fare share of them when you leave NYC.

places like Louisiana or even cities that they migrated to (LA, Bay Area, Seattle) have a good load of them!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Obviously so! But African Americans like that do exist and you’ll see a fare share of them when you leave NYC.

places like Louisiana or even cities that they migrated to (LA, Bay Area, Seattle) have a good load of them!
Yeah, I went to New Orleans not too long ago and I noticed that. I think those people are considered "Creole". Although they weren't quite as white as what you're saying, maybe slightly more black looking than the average Nuyodominican.

However I would never personally think of someone who looks like Michelle Rodriguez as black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City