U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:00 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Maybe its just the time of day, and these days during after school hours I'm usually at work still. My local court as a kid was Hoffman Park in Elmhurst, and it saddens me when driving by seeing the courts sit empty. Used to have some good games there back in the '90s.
Hispanic and Asian kids seem to be more into handball.

Basketball seems to be pretty popular in the black neighborboods stiill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 02:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 322,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The only places that would be an issue are the touristy parts of Manhattan. That shouldn't apply to you because I thoughr you only liked outskirt neighborhoods.
They are coming to Queens now. I see them on the 7 train

The whole farm family

Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:

Most of the kids playing at Hoffman Park would come from Lefrak City. Pretty much all Black kids, a few Eastern Europeans here and there, and some white kids that could shoot. Being a pretty Central location right across the street from Queens Center, and being the playground of Kenny Anderson, you'd have kids coming from all over Queens and even Brookyn to play there. They even put up lights so you could play at night. It just doesn't seem to attract the volume of talent anymore.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 322,840 times
Quote:

There are no more young handballers.

That ended with my high school class of 04.

They either shoot hoops or even soccer now.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
There are no more young handballers.

That ended with my high school class of 04.

They either shoot hoops or even soccer now.
That's not true at all, plenty of high school aged kids play handball and some of them are real nasty. Handball is very popular among Nuyoricans, Nuyodominicans, Nuyomexicans, and Nuyochinese.

Quote:

The whole farm family
How do you know where they're from?

Old 07-07-2018, 04:36 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
A bit odd to choose Ohio as an example of NYC transplants and gentrifiers.

Cleveland is the birthplace of Rock and Roll. Cleveland houses the gigantic Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

Cleveland and Cincinnati have symphony orchestras that are on a par with London, NY Phil, etc. The conservatory at Oberlin has produced some of the most famous musicians in the world.

Columbus and Cleveland have some very expensive suburbs. Cincinnati may have lost some of its luster in the last couple years from when it was a very hot city. Columbus has been growing for years and Cleveland has made a huge comeback with gentrification all along the waterfront. They also have the John Glenn museum, huge car museum, art museums. Nice beaches too. And Sandusky is very family friendly.

My Long Island family moved to Ohio for a better job. My friend moved from New York City to Dublin, Ohio for a better job in finance. No one is rushing back here, even the 20 somethings who have all found good jobs there after attending OSU and Miami University.

Cleveland has the largest theater district outside of NYC with recently restored beautiful theaters.

It's also a very ethnically diverse state with a very rich history. Columbus was a major stop on the Underground Railroad. Perhaps, one of the Prairie states would be a better example. I view the Ohio cities like smaller versions of NYC, like Boston or Philadelphia. I don't see a mass migration of hipsters from Ohio.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
A bit odd to choose Ohio as an example of NYC transplants and gentrifiers.

Cleveland is the birthplace of Rock and Roll. Cleveland houses the gigantic Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

Cleveland and Cincinnati have symphony orchestras that are on a par with London, NY Phil, etc. The conservatory at Oberlin has produced some of the most famous musicians in the world.

Columbus and Cleveland have some very expensive suburbs. Cincinnati may have lost some of its luster in the last couple years from when it was a very hot city. Columbus has been growing for years and Cleveland has made a huge comeback with gentrification all along the waterfront. They also have the John Glenn museum, huge car museum, art museums.

My Long Island family moved to Ohio for a better job. My friend moved from New York City to Dublin, Ohio for a better job in finance. No one is rushing back here, even the 20 somethings who have all found good jobs there after attending OSU and Miami University.

Cleveland has the largest theater district outside of NYC with recently restored beautiful theaters.

It's also a very ethnically diverse state with a very rich history. Columbus was a major stop on the Underground Railroad. Perhaps, one of the Prairie states would be a better example. I view the Ohio cities like smaller versions of NYC, like Boston or Philadelphia. I don't see a mass migration of hipsters from Ohio.
Hipsters in Ohio don't need to come to NYC because they're doing their thing in Ohio!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 4,004,269 times
Quote:
NYC isn't the center of the world.

But there are too many damn Midwesterners here. And they don't know how to walk down the street.
NYC is more like center of the underworld...

Old 07-07-2018, 06:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 754,370 times
Quote:
Especially around the time of the US Open (which I dread). It's crowded enough already during regular times.
It's always rush hour on the 7.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 PM

849 posts, read 451,498 times
I don't know why people are always saying ohio in particular when they joke (or sometimes are serious) about transplants/gentrification. I don't know ****ing anyone from ohio. Most of the white transplants I know are from long island, connecticut, or new jersey. One is from wisconsin, but he's like 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City