U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:28 PM

5,596 posts, read 5,395,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Aside from the fact most transplants aren't actually from Ohio

Ohio is a poor state compared to New York, Ohio's hoods are way more dangerous than New York's, and Ohio is not completely devoid of culture. Bone Thugs n Harmony are from there, as well as the 2nd greatest basketball player of all time. Cincinatti and Cleveland seem like cool cities, and you don't have to sell a kidney to afford the rents there. So I think the whole anti-Ohio sentiment many New Yorkers have is silly.

If anything, Native New Yorkers from the wealthier parts of NYC as well as the suburbs are the biggest contributors to gentrification. Followed by transplants from the "cool" states like Massachusetts and California.
Cleveland is cool. Cincinnati is bourgeois and Southern, even in the hood. Personally I feel like Cincinnati is a larger Akron, just with a professional football team.

Decent neighborhoods aren't as cheap as they used to be. But there are also neighborhoods where you will be the only person on the block. Especially in cities like Cleveland and Dayton.

Ohio is poor, with bad neighborhoods. But I don't see how any of it is different than where New York used to be back in the seventies. Ohio is just one of those places that never moved on, whereas cities like New York, Chicago, and L.A. reinvented themselves. Ohio wants to diversify but they lost out on so many economic waves it is just ridiculous.

It is also conservative, and that lack of progression is often its own worst enemy.

I doubt that I'll ever move back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 12:33 PM

10,021 posts, read 7,757,012 times
Quote:
I would say the craft beer movement originated in California, not Ohio

And even if Ohioans were coming here in droves (we go over this all the time, they are not), I would view the addition of craft beer as 100% a positive thing. It's nice having more options than hillbilly beer like Coors Light.
There was a lot more beer to select from other than Coors before the craft beer scene took off. As for craft beer, I think it was the Mid-Atlantic that really blew it up more so than Cali did.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Cincinnati is very dense. It is a small city. It does have the infrastructure. But it will not be like a place with a similar look and feel out East. Which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:52 PM

10,021 posts, read 7,757,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Right. And I have no problem with Ohio or Ohioans just don't bring that culture here.

To be honest I'm biased because I can't drink beer it makes me feel bloated. But the whole craft beer craze did not originate in Brooklyn yet it's taken over.

NY is more a "Liquor City". We're not known for beer brewers compared to other cities historically. The Midwest is known for Beer. I can't stand establishments that don't have a liquor license. I can't drink beer or wine. Only distilled alcohol.
True. New Yorkers are known to have full top shelf bar carts with every liquor possible for your cocktails. I know I do. Done to the dime. Plus I got a fridge reserved just for my Belgium's.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:04 PM

1,980 posts, read 1,247,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ohio is poor, with bad neighborhoods. But I don't see how any of it is different than where New York used to be back in the seventies. Ohio is just one of those places that never moved on, whereas cities like New York, Chicago, and L.A. reinvented themselves. Ohio wants to diversify but they lost out on so many economic waves it is just ridiculous.

It is also conservative, and that lack of progression is often its own worst enemy.

I doubt that I'll ever move back there.
You have to go out of your way in Cleveland to see poverty unlike NYC. The nightlife seems centralized around the downtown area with stadiums for the major sports and museums. Having a picnic while the Cleveland orchestra plays is a nice fourth of July event. You also have a little Italy around University Circle that has great authentic italian food and a atheistic pleasing university campus. Boating as an activity is enjoyable in Cleveland if you go to Put-in-Bay.

As a middle class person, it far easier to own a house with a backyard big enough to fit a small boat. I would also add the people in Cleveland are much more friendlier and fatter than NYC. Given NYC welfare system it is a much better life in NYC if you are rich or very poor, but it is not so welcoming to middle class families.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:26 PM

1,939 posts, read 667,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Agreed! I bet there are a lot of way cool places in the U.S. outside NYC. Philly for example is my favorite city in the entire country.
New Yorkers dont look down on Philly sooo....its more like a friendly rivalry for two cities next door to eachother!

Old 07-08-2018, 03:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 667,656 times
places like Ohio or Kansas are a punching bag for all major cities. Has nothing to do with New Yorkers.

Go to San Fran and theyll probably say the exact same thing or pick on another place like Idaho or Iwoa.

Me personally outside of Chicago and the Twin Cities I find the Midwest uncool and the only city Id want to explore in Ohio is Cleveland and Cincinnati!

Old 07-08-2018, 03:55 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
places like Ohio or Kansas are a punching bag for all major cities. Has nothing to do with New Yorkers.

Go to San Fran and theyll probably say the exact same thing or pick on another place like Idaho or Iwoa.

Me personally outside of Chicago and the Twin Cities I find the Midwest uncool and the only city Id want to explore in Ohio is Cleveland and Cincinnati!
Only (certain) New Yorkers seem have that kind of territorialism or whatever you want to call it.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You have to go out of your way in Cleveland to see poverty unlike NYC. The nightlife seems centralized around the downtown area with stadiums for the major sports and museums. Having a picnic while the Cleveland orchestra plays is a nice fourth of July event. You also have a little Italy around University Circle that has great authentic italian food and a atheistic pleasing university campus. Boating as an activity is enjoyable in Cleveland if you go to Put-in-Bay.

As a middle class person, it far easier to own a house with a backyard big enough to fit a small boat. I would also add the people in Cleveland are much more friendlier and fatter than NYC. Given NYC welfare system it is a much better life in NYC if you are rich or very poor, but it is not so welcoming to middle class families.
It is a lot better than it used to be. East side is still sketchy. Even more so East Cleveland.

Ohioans are friendlier. Midwest is overall friendlier, even Detroit and Chicago. It isn't as fast as the East Coast.

But there are so many cities. People talk about Cincinnati but you also have Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Louisville, Kansas City, and St. Louis in the Midwest. Those cities are no slouch and can hold their own against Cleveland and Cincinnati.

No one mentions Columbus. It is the largest city in Ohio. It will eventually pass a million in the city proper. It often gets pegged for being suburban because of annexation but it has older urban neighborhoods that should meet New Yorkers sensibilities and plenty of elbow room for people more accoustomed to places like Suffolk and Nassau. Plus it is the state capital and some great employers as well as Ohio State.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:42 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It is a lot better than it used to be. East side is still sketchy. Even more so East Cleveland.

Ohioans are friendlier. Midwest is overall friendlier, even Detroit and Chicago.

But there are so many cities. People talk about Cincinnati but you also have Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Louisville, Kansas City, and St. Louis in the Midwest. Those cities are no slouch and can hold their own against Cleveland and Cincinnati.

No one mentions Columbus. It is the largest city in Ohio. It will eventually pass a million in the city proper. It often gets pegged for being suburban because of annexation but it has older urban neighborhoods that should meet New Yorkers sensibilities and plenty of elbow room for people more accoustomed to places like Suffolk and Nassau. Plus it is the state capital and some great employers as well as Ohio State.
I think of Louisville as being part of the South, even though it's close to Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City