U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think of Louisville as being part of the South, even though it's close to Indiana
You're correct. I guess I am guilty of treating it how people treat Pittsburgh I stand to be corrected. Must have been thinking of Missouri and Kansas.

There's no "Mid Atlantic" situation in the Midwest so I'm guilty as charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 PM

56 posts, read 15,928 times
Why in the world would someone from Ohio want to live in NYC? NYC is where dreams go to die. It's a city reserved for the uber-rich and well-connected.

There are many other parts of the country that are more desirable...and cleaner...and smell better.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
Why in the world would someone from Ohio want to live in NYC? NYC is where dreams go to die. It's a city reserved for the uber-rich and well-connected.

There are many other parts of the country that are more desirable...and cleaner...and smell better.
I did at one time. I finally visited the place and asked myself if I wanted that day in day out and decided it was not for me. I could try it but I'm not sure if I want to.

For certain industries it is still the place to be. Especially news, radio, television and entertainment.

I checked out Chicago, which has it's problems but is gorgeous downtown and the people are way friendlier and the vibe was a lot different than New York. Except for when they're behind the wheel. I felt a different connection to that city. I'd probably move there before dealing with New York. Maybe L.A. I think for a Midwesterner that is more than enough.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:25 PM

1,919 posts, read 651,297 times
Quote:

NYC is a giant and a capitol in many sectors. You don’t know what you’re talking about if that were the case people wouldn’t be leaving their nice suburbs to live with3 roommates in the Big Apple!

I never understand these weird comments!

And the benefits of NYC apply to many places like DC, San Fran, LA etc. Most cities with opportunists by now are for the Uber rich and well connected!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 PM

5,324 posts, read 4,004,269 times
Quote:

In a way itís like a badge of honor, if you can make it there you can make it anywhere as the song goes. I gave up the badge when I realized that life was always a struggle there and there must be another way or another place. I developed PTSD after 9/11 and thatís when I realized that NYC was bad for my health.
Moving away literally saved my life.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:55 AM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
One thing I notice is that some New Yorkers who barely leave their neighborhood or NYC talk down on places they've never been to. How can people who don't travel be so sure that the resf of the country sucks?
You said it yourself, Ohio's poorer than NY and their poor neighborhoods are way more dangerous

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You said it yourself, Ohio's poorer than NY and their poor neighborhoods are way more dangerous
IKR. No disclosure as to whether the OP has actually spent time in Ohio or is from there in that initial post.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Only (certain) New Yorkers seem have that kind of territorialism or whatever you want to call it.
Everybody is territorial

Whether you want to believe it or not.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
IKR. No disclosure as to whether the OP has actually spent time in Ohio or is from there in that initial post.
Well we should let the OP answer that

Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM

697 posts, read 1,426,411 times
I grew up in an inner-ring suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. Moved to NYC after college 6 years ago to work in the education field. Have since gotten married and now have a 15-month old son. No plans to leave. Haven't met many other people from the midwest yet alone Ohio since I've been here and I live in a fairly transplant heavy neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City