U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,608,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You said it yourself, Ohio's poorer than NY and their poor neighborhoods are way more dangerous
Right, so why do people have this idea that wealthy Ohioians are coming in and ruining NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
IKR. No disclosure as to whether the OP has actually spent time in Ohio or is from there in that initial post.
I'm not from Ohio (I have been there as a kid but only Youngstown). I'm just defending it because it's used as a punching bag by anti-gentrification New Yorkers, which I think is silly and demonstrates lack of knowledge about Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 5,390,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Right, so why do people have this idea that wealthy Ohioians are coming in and ruining NYC?

I'm not from Ohio (I have been there as a kid but only Youngstown). I'm just defending it because it's used as a punching bag by anti-gentrification New Yorkers, which I think is silly and demonstrates lack of knowledge about Ohio.
I was born in Akron spent twenty years there then went to Dayton spent ten years there. Most familiar with Cleveland. Cincinnati and Columbus a little more so Columbus.

Appreciate you defending the state. As another posted suggested it is not as though people are just getting up and moving to New York to get away from Ohio. People are still moving to Columbus, Indianapolis, and Chicago and other places within the Midwest that are doing well.

I think that there is a perception that the Midwest just sucks overall and people are leaving to go anywhere just to get out of there. I guess you could say that I did that. But a lot of people stay put and are trying to improve their situation as best as they can, or they may move around the region. Obviously if an opportunity is out of the region that is the most logical choice but the Midwest is urban enough that you don't have to leave to get a taste of what they have going on up in NYC. It just is not on that scale that NYC is. And the older I get, the more I realize that this was never the intention and completely besides the point; people just are not looking for that lifestyle here.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:37 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,608,716 times
Quote:
I was born in Akron spent twenty years there then went to Dayton spent ten years there. Most familiar with Cleveland. Cincinnati and Columbus a little more so Columbus.

Appreciate you defending the state. As another posted suggested it is not as though people are just getting up and moving to New York to get away from Ohio. People are still moving to Columbus, Indianapolis, and Chicago and other places within the Midwest that are doing well.

I think that there is a perception that the Midwest just sucks overall and people are leaving to go anywhere just to get out of there. I guess you could say that I did that. But a lot of people stay put and are trying to improve their situation as best as they can, or they may move around the region. Obviously if an opportunity is out of the region that is the most logical choice but the Midwest is urban enough that you don't have to leave to get a taste of what they have going on up in NYC. It just is not on that scale that NYC is. And the older I get, the more I realize that this was never the intention and completely besides the point; people just are not looking for that lifestyle here.
Well yeah, I think their idea is that uncool white people from "bland" places like Ohio and Minnesota (that they know nothing about) are coming in droves and ruining NYC. It is true that many neighborhoods are gentrifying and receiving more white residents, but most of them are not from the midwest. The white gentrifiers are mostly NYC natives, from the immediate suburbs, or from states like Massachusetts and California.

There are so many white people who have lived in NYC their whole lives (or in the surrounding areas) who are middle class or above, so I don't know why people think that Ohioians flooding in are responsible for the gentrification. I think that "Midwestern Transplant" is really just codeword for white.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, I think their idea is that uncool white people from "bland" places like Ohio and Minnesota (that they know nothing about) are coming in droves and ruining NYC. It is true that many neighborhoods are gentrifying and receiving more white residents, but most of them are not from the midwest. The white gentrifiers are mostly NYC natives, from the immediate suburbs, or from states like Massachusetts and California.

There are so many white people who have lived in NYC their whole lives (or in the surrounding areas) who are middle class or above, so I don't know why people think that Ohioians flooding in are responsible for the gentrification. I think that "Midwestern Transplant" is really just codeword for white.
Yeah I don't get it I've been in Ohio forever and no one was really thinking about it like that. White people pretty much own that place. If anyone is leaving it is Blacks that are sick of assimilating and they're going to Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM

19,336 posts, read 32,834,705 times
Quote:
Got any examples?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM

10,006 posts, read 7,747,262 times
Ohio means USA excluding the NYC 5 boros. It is a pretty basic concept and should be fairly easy to understand. If it weren't for the Ohioans moving to NYC in droves over the past decade, I would have moved to Ohio (aka Long Island) myself.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Ohio means USA excluding the NYC 5 boros. It is a pretty basic concept and should be fairly easy to understand. If it weren't for the Ohioans moving to NYC in droves over the past decade, I would have moved to Ohio (aka Long Island) myself.
Then where is the misunderstanding? Or are some people literal with it and others abstract?

Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM

7,599 posts, read 8,020,864 times
Quote:

I agree with all of the above. And truly, there are Native New Yorkers who have moved to Ohio, even some posters on CD, and are very content. Sure, they miss some things about New York, but they can just make the drive in a day or two to visit. This is especially true for anyone starting a family and wants to buy a home. Columbus has some gorgeous homes, both historic and contemporary.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,755,529 times
There's nothing wrong with being FROM Ohio, the problem is only if you're still there !

Old 07-09-2018, 03:07 PM

292 posts, read 71,339 times
Alot of non-native people at my company are from UPenn, Bucknell, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn State, etc. Generally speaking, alot of grads from there are originally from the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City