U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 AM
 
Location: New York, USA
72 posts, read 321,492 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a reputable attorney will tell you the truth that there may be little they can do in nyc .
sometimes if you are over the edge where you are getting more points because of the speed they can argue the radar accuracy if you are a mile or two in to the next bracket . but usually there is not much they can do .
i had a 6 pointer and a clean record for 25 years . it meant nothing . GUILTY.
Did you engage an attorney or plead yourself in the traffic court?

Quite a few supposedly reputable attorneys claim they can help and there many positive reviews on Google, Yelp and AVVO, but I don't know if these are real reviews, real people, and whether the chances of success can be judged based on them.

Wanted to see if anyone had a first hand experience with an attorney trying to fight the speeding ticket in the NYC traffic court and how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 AM
 
64,833 posts, read 66,299,886 times
Reputation: 43206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Instead of asking in this forum, which may or may not get you anywhere (and I'm betting on latter); a quick Google search turns up pages of hits to your query. Specifically pages of attorneys who specialize in NY traffic law (speeding tickets, moving violations, etc....).


https://www.trafficlawyer.com/new-yo...-in-ny-and-nyc


https://www.tickethelp.com/tvb-appea...raffic-ticket/


Pick one, two or whatever, reach out and see what they have to say.
the first link tells it like it is , they acknowledge the fact it is not the norm to plea bargain down in the nyc TVB

: . How to negotiate your traffic ticket when possible

Outside the TVB system, you have an opportunity to negotiate with the prosecutor before your hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM
 
64,833 posts, read 66,299,886 times
Reputation: 43206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
Did you engage an attorney or plead yourself in the traffic court?

Quite a few supposedly reputable attorneys claim they can help and there many positive reviews on Google, Yelp and AVVO, but I don't know if these are real reviews, real people, and whether the chances of success can be judged based on them.

Wanted to see if anyone had a first hand experience with an attorney trying to fight the speeding ticket in the NYC traffic court and how that works.
i went on my own after talking to a few attorneys who said there is little they can do in my case so they could not guarantee much in the way of results . they felt i was so far over that there was little to argue . mine was 6 points . but it went under the radar for 4 years and is now off my record .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM
 
Location: New York, USA
72 posts, read 321,492 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Instead of asking in this forum, which may or may not get you anywhere (and I'm betting on latter); a quick Google search turns up pages of hits to your query. Specifically pages of attorneys who specialize in NY traffic law (speeding tickets, moving violations, etc....).

https://www.trafficlawyer.com/new-yo...-in-ny-and-nyc

https://www.tickethelp.com/tvb-appea...raffic-ticket/
Pick one, two or whatever, reach out and see what they have to say.
I already picked several and sent them a question/quote request and will call/discuss this with several tomorrow for sure when they are back in the office.



But they are the interested party. Of course they will claim they can help and this is what they do every day. This is their business and this is how they earn a living. I thought there are people here who had the experience with this issue and can share their view.



I am very good at searching Google/Yelp and other sites. But hard to find an unbiased review or opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 AM
 
Location: New York, USA
72 posts, read 321,492 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i went on my own after talking to a few attorneys who said there is little they can do in my case so they could not guarantee much in the way of results . they felt i was so far over that there was little to argue .
thank you very much for sharing the details of your situation. Very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: New York, USA
72 posts, read 321,492 times
Reputation: 54
Speaking of attorneys, one such traffic attorney has an elaborate page as a form where you populate all the details of your ticket, type, range of speeding, etc., and sends you this automated email response (this is a part of it):


This speeding is a 4-point ticket that carries roughly a $200 fine. It also can adversely affect your insurance rates if you have any other convictions (or an accident) on your record within the last 36 months. Also, if you have any other moving violation convictions within 18 months, then this speeding ticket will subject you to a $300 Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee. Finally, if your total driver's license points exceed 10 within 18 months, your license can be suspended.

We, therefore, recommend that you plead not guilty and fight this ticket. If you do, you may be able to save NY points and money, and avoid an insurance rate increase (assuming you have an otherwise clean record).

We can help and, if you hire our law firm, you likely will NOT have to appear in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Eric Forman's basement
1,703 posts, read 1,673,006 times
Reputation: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , a speeding ticket on camera has no conviction since they don't know who the driver is , only the car is identified . it is like a red light camera ticket
Thank you! That is a relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top