U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,372,221 times

Advertisements

Because your average New Yorker is a complete and utter slob. You learn alot about a person on how they throw out their garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 01:33 PM

1,806 posts, read 765,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
This is a big problem because if nine people recycle correctly and the tenth person doesn't, that whole bunch of it is contaminated and has to go to the landfill. That is a shame and a waste of time and effort.
Yeah. They did a report on this. That most of the stuff that should be recycled just ends up at the landfill anyway with the rest of the regular trash. I recycle anyway. Don't want to have the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality however, tempting.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:15 PM

11,836 posts, read 7,728,213 times
Most trash bins have to be chained and hid away in busy streets to avoid pedestrians treating it like public trashcans. You get fined if the EPA found waste in your recycling bin. Notice how many city streets have locked bunkers with their trash inside and only the sanitation companies have keys to unlock them.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:43 PM

7,592 posts, read 2,714,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Antinimby is down with the trump crew, so he doesn’t believe in scientific crap like global warming.
I support Trump, but it's very clear to see that our oceans are being destroyed by peoples' garbage. In fact the oceans are filled with plastic and the creatures living in the sea are eating it, and since we eat them, we are likely eating the garbage we produce.

I recycle everything possible (NYC sends out information on what can and can't be recycled so it's pretty easy to do) and try to avoid unnecessary waste. For example, CVS allows you to have your receipts e-mailed to you rather than having a paper one printed. That saves a lot of waste right there, given how long their receipts can be. I also stopped using plastic bags entirely. I either carry a reusable bag with me or re-use paper bags. The only plastic bags I use are for the recycling or if I get a food delivery and then I'll reuse those.

The other thing that irks me is people throwing away plastic spoons and cups. Rinse that stuff and put it into the recycling! Sanitation takes it! All of that stuff really never breaks down and it sits around for years and years destroying the environment. I sort my recycling into four bags and I recycle roughly every other week to better use the plastic bags:

Paper and cardboard in one bag until the bag is full enough, plastic in one bag, glass in another and then the occasional bag for cans, etc.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 PM

958 posts, read 483,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I support Trump, but it's very clear to see that our oceans are being destroyed by peoples' garbage. In fact the oceans are filled with plastic and the creatures living in the sea are eating it, and since we eat them, we are likely eating the garbage we produce.

I recycle everything possible (NYC sends out information on what can and can't be recycled so it's pretty easy to do) and try to avoid unnecessary waste. For example, CVS allows you to have your receipts e-mailed to you rather than having a paper one printed. That saves a lot of waste right there, given how long their receipts can be. I also stopped using plastic bags entirely. I either carry a reusable bag with me or re-use paper bags. The only plastic bags I use are for the recycling or if I get a food delivery and then I'll reuse those.

The other thing that irks me is people throwing away plastic spoons and cups. Rinse that stuff and put it into the recycling! Sanitation takes it! All of that stuff really never breaks down and it sits around for years and years destroying the environment. I sort my recycling into four bags and I recycle roughly every other week to better use the plastic bags:

Paper and cardboard in one bag until the bag is full enough, plastic in one bag, glass in another and then the occasional bag for cans, etc.
No way, you down with the parkchester crew. They donít have garbage in parkchester. They shoot it into space like that episode of futurama.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
No way, you down with the parkchester crew. They donít have garbage in parkchester. They shoot it into space like that episode of futurama.
LMAO!! More like they shoot it out of the window. They actually have a garbage disposal area right by one of the complexes. God help you if you have to walk in that area to get to your apartment in the summertime. I wonder if our Parkchester resident knows about that...

Old 07-08-2018, 06:12 PM

4,460 posts, read 2,288,206 times
Quote:
Antinimby is down with the trump crew, so he doesnít believe in scientific crap like global warming.
And the trash going in the wrong container contributes to global warming how?

Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And the trash going in the wrong container contributes to global warming how?
Forget that for a second... I just hope that you understand the importance of recycling and eliminating waste and trash. Some of these things are toxic and we should avoid just throwing them in the trash. They unleash all sorts of toxins into the environment. I won't say that they contribute to global warming per se, but they certainly aren't good.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM

18,318 posts, read 11,728,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
It's annoying to see so much trash in recycling bins. Most people can't be bothered to learn what is recyclable. Other people just use recycling bins as trash bins. I try and spend a lot of time sorting my recycling and it frustrates me to see the bins so "polluted", thereby negating my efforts.

Why can't trash companies refuse to pick up "contaminated" recycling bins? This would send the message to residents to do a better job sorting their recycling.

Bottom line simple reason for your rant/observation of some people's behavior is simple; city largely fines buildings, business owners and whoever for not properly sorting recycling. Thus it falls upon same to police (as best they can, if they can).

That being said have known both at work and home people have been sat down and spoken to when caught putting something where they shouldn't. A neighbor's building has a super who went around with the offending items knocking on apartment doors to find out who put what in wrong bin. Once discovered they got what was coming to them. Of course if the offending item or items had their names on it already (mail, packages or whatever that had a printed address), it made or makes things easier.

Today with so many buildings having cameras both outside and in hallways it is also easier to find out who miscreants are and take proper action.

NYC's Commercial Recycling Rate Is Still Garbage: Gothamist

https://resource-recycling.com/recyc...rd-zero-waste/

Large part of problem is few if many building supers will go through garbage from tenants bag by bag to spot recyclables. OTOH DSNY *does* have inspectors who do open trash bags looking for things that shouldn't be where they are; if found again it is the building that is ticketed not the individual.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM

4,460 posts, read 2,288,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
We only get 1 Earth, we can't afford to ruin it
Then donít consume anything. The trash was already created. Putting it in the wrong container would not reverse the creation of that product.

And yes, I know exactly what you are going to say. You are going to say that the trash would get recycled and then I would tell you that even if you didnít put it in the right container, the handlers, be it DSNY or some trash company would separate them afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City