Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Forget that for a second... I just hope that you understand the importance of recycling and eliminating waste and trash. Some of these things are toxic and we should avoid just throwing them in the trash. They unleash all sorts of toxins into the environment. I won't say that they contribute to global warming per se, but they certainly aren't good.
Wow, you are a genius. You know about recycling. It was completely foreign to me. Congratulations on your superior knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:24 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Wow, you are a genius. You know about recycling. It was completely foreign to me. Congratulations on your superior knowledge.
Don't get sassy with me. A lot of people DON'T recycle and are slobs, hence my comment, so do you??

Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most trash bins have to be chained and hid away in busy streets to avoid pedestrians treating it like public trashcans. You get fined if the EPA found waste in your recycling bin. Notice how many city streets have locked bunkers with their trash inside and only the sanitation companies have keys to unlock them.

Where do you get this stuff?

Federal government either EPA or any other agency does *NOT* send around inspectors locally to check individual building or whatever trash bins. That is a local issue and how or when recycling is handled does vary by area.

Where are you finding "locked" trash bins? Have never seen such a thing on any NYC street, indeed going by the vastly growing number of dumpster divers/garbage pickers that can be seen on any given night or day have to say that it is none existent.

Yes, elsewhere in the country and perhaps isolated occasions a business will have locked waste dumpsters; but that is more to keep *divers* and others out than anything else.

There is a nursing home in our area that moved to a type of locked dumpsters. This was after getting sick and tired of various divers and others coming onto their property and taking things and or emptying out containers.

What many do not know is that private companies pay haulers regardless if things are collected or not. So if dumpster divers, those brothers with rented trucks or whoever take away bundled paper or otherwise empty out recyclables, the business or whatever *still* is billed for the service regardless.

Commercial waste already sits on most NYC streets well into early morning hours, can you imagine what would happen if each truck had to use keys and move dumpsters?

Private residences and or apartment buildings are another matter. Those dumpsters, trash cans or whatever are chained together or to the property to keep GD thieves from taking the things.

Those big rolling trash bins aren't exactly cheap and some people for various reasons just cannot help themselves.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Don't get sassy with me. A lot of people DON'T recycle and are slobs, hence my comment, so do you??
No, I buy barrels of oil and dump it into the ocean and then burn it day and night to add more carbon to the atmosphere.

It is not up to individuals to recycle. Municipalities do it even if you don’t. If they are going to rely on everyone doing the separation for them, then most of the trash would not get recycled.

BTW, when you make assumptions like I don’t know something but you know so much more, yeah I am going to go all sassy on you.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:37 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
No, I buy barrels of oil and dump it into the ocean and then burn it day and night to add more carbon to the atmosphere.

It is not up to individuals to recycle. Municipalities do it even if you don’t. If they are going to rely on everyone doing the separation for them, then most of the trash would not get recycled.

BTW, when you make assumptions like I don’t know something but you know so much more, yeah I am going to go all sassy on you.
You still didn't answer my question. We're not talking about municipalities. We're talking about YOU. Are you a slob or do you recycle? Yes or no.
I'm asking because I hate people that throw their trash everywhere, and it's the one thing that I don't agree with in terms of Trump. I believe that global warming is real and what we dispose of may indeed have an impact in accelerating that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Where are you finding "locked" trash bins? Have never seen such a thing on any NYC street, indeed going by the vastly growing number of dumpster divers/garbage pickers that can be seen on any given night or day have to say that it is none existent.
I know what he's talking about. Some of the newer trash cans have to be unlocked in order to open them, and yes, in some cases only Sanitation can unlock them. In other cases, the people you see opening the trash cans know how to do so and those don't need keys.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
You still didn't answer my question. We're not talking about municipalities. We're talking about YOU. Are you a slob or do you recycle? Yes or no.
Did you forget I don’t know about recycling and the toxins that can leach out from the plastics? Until you “enlightened me” I did not know about recycling.

Quote:
I'm asking because I hate people that throw their trash everywhere, and it's the one thing that I don't agree with in terms of Trump. I believe that global warming is real and what we dispose of may indeed have an impact in accelerating that.
Wow, I don’t even know what to say. What does Trump have to do with people throwing their trash everywhere? And please do tell how does not separating trash is related to global warming? (And no, don’t tell me about your believes. Show scientific proof/links.

Last edited by antinimby; 07-09-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Recycling is somewhat difficult in this city. You have tourist that have no idea what is recyclable and what is not. You have residents who just don't care, apt buildings that are not 100% clear on how they recycle, etc.

example: I worked in the SoHo Building ( a high end commercial building) and they didn't recycle. My co-workers urged me to start a recycling program in the office so i bought the blue and green bins with the appropriate color trash bags. I also posted the documents from the NYC website on what goes in each bin and placed it on the bins. Every time, someone was going to throw something away i would get "hey mr.ryu, is this right?" That **** got old quick. I then discovered that the building itself didn't even recycle.

What is really killing the world is endless and trivial consumerism! New smartphones every year, new apparel+footwear collections every season (fast retailing), continued use of fossil fuels, real estate craze, etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Wow, you are a genius. You know about recycling. It was completely foreign to me.

Probably true.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Probably true.
Leftists are so hateful and bitter.

Now tell me. What do YOU know about recycling?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ppl r F-ing idiots.

Plain and F-ing simple

That infuriates the F out of me

Put **** where it belongs!

Some ppl just need to get F-ing yelled at.....
Me and you both! One of my biggest pet peeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City