U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'd assume they would have. Can you believe this is for real?

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york...10--2171787664

1 bedroom / 1 bathrooms there asking $1,100,000. I think it's about $999,000 more than in Parkchester lol.

I knew a couple of people living there in the 90s (the apts were not at all luxurious). I find it hard to associate Stuy Town with luxury still.
I do too, but from people that I've heard about that live there they said this was coming... It looks nice but I wouldn't want to live there. If I'm going to be in Manhattan it has to be the Upper East Side or something swanky but low key. I can't see myself living over there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
I'd love that too. I get that it was planned as a bedroom community, but if you're speaking about the present, I don't agree that Brooklyn Heights has remained one necessarily. Look how close downtown Brooklyn is for instance.
Brooklyn Heights is a bedroom community of Manhattan. Certainly not of Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 AM

20,110 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Brooklyn Heights is a bedroom community of Manhattan. Certainly not of Downtown Brooklyn.
Mostly Manhattan, but for sure Downtown Brooklyn or DUMBO as well for at least three people I know. It'll be weird if these were the only three people of a population of 20,000 something people who did so.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:15 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Mostly Manhattan, but for sure Downtown Brooklyn or DUMBO as well for at least three people I know. It'll be weird if these were the only three people of a population of 20,000 something people who did so.
Even if Brooklyn Heights is 100% a bedroom community, wouldn't it be disingenuous to describe the place as being "suburban"?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Even if Brooklyn Heights is 100% a bedroom community, wouldn't it be disingenuous to describe the place as being "suburban"?
Yes, it would.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 390,968 times
Quote:
I'd assume they would have. Can you believe this is for real?

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york...10--2171787664

1 bedroom / 1 bathrooms there asking $1,100,000. I think it's about $999,000 more than in Parkchester lol.

I knew a couple of people living there in the 90s (the apts were not at all luxurious). I find it hard to associate Stuy Town with luxury still.

Stuy Town (and Parkchester, which is Stuy Town's architectural precedent, but exactly the same design- and construction-wise as Stuy Town, built by the same companies and architects) is a different kind of luxury, but I won't elaborate any more on that. Stuy Town is supposed to be entirely rental, but I have already seen some Stuy Town-like properties nearby, and yes, that is the price range.

Knowing that I might have to buy in Manhattan after all (on account of continued safety issues in Parkchester), I have kept my eye on Tudor City, where small studios can be found in low $300s K, slightly lower than my condo in Boston is worth, so I am considering to just flip Boston for Tudor City. But I have just found out last week that 12 very large skyscrapers with senior co-ops (ie, limited to 55+ or 62+ aged residents) are under construction in Manhattan, and I'll wait to see about that. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them will be condos (like Parkchester, which is hard to find in NYC), but co-ops which are more common in NYC (a condo ownership is a home ownership, a co-op "ownership" is only an ownership of shares in a corporation).

Re hurricane Sandy, my unit in Parkchester, which is on the ground floor, practically on the ground, was entirely dry during/after Sandy, not a drop of water in it. The tenant was snug, safe and sound indoors throughout all the heavy skies, howling wind and lashing rain.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Stuy Town (and Parkchester, which is Stuy Town's architectural precedent, but exactly the same design- and construction-wise as Stuy Town, built by the same companies and architects) is a different kind of luxury, but I won't elaborate any more on that. Stuy Town is supposed to be entirely rental, but I have already seen some Stuy Town-like properties nearby, and yes, that is the price range.

Knowing that I might have to buy in Manhattan after all (on account of continued safety issues in Parkchester), I have kept my eye on Tudor City, where small studios can be found in low $300s K, slightly lower than my condo in Boston is worth, so I am considering to just flip Boston for Tudor City. But I have just found out last week that 12 very large skyscrapers with senior co-ops (ie, limited to 55+ or 62+ aged residents) are under construction in Manhattan, and I'll wait to see about that. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them will be condos (like Parkchester, which is hard to find in NYC), but co-ops which are more common in NYC (a condo ownership is a home ownership, a co-op "ownership" is only an ownership of shares in a corporation).

Re hurricane Sandy, my unit in Parkchester, which is on the ground floor, practically on the ground, was entirely dry during/after Sandy, not a drop of water in it. The tenant was snug, safe and sound indoors throughout all the heavy skies, howling wind and lashing rain.
Given that your still years away from moving to NYC, why are you compelled to sell your Parkchester unit now?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

I love Tudor City - right in the center of Manhattan but it feels like another world because of the elevation. The little parks there are beautiful too. Do you want a condo because of type of ownership, or because you want to buy it now and rent it out? Quality of life will probably be better in a co-op in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 390,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Given that your still years away from moving to NYC, why are you compelled to sell your Parkchester unit now?
When I decided to sell Parkchester a couple of weeks ago, I was finally completely acutely annoyed by a combination of factors, the chief of which was a violent crime committed right on the Parkchester Oval, next to the bus stop, the center and the best area of Parkchester, in the middle of the day, among hundreds of people returning from work and milling around. A homeless guy grabbed keys from the hands of a 65-year old Parkchester resident, who demanded his keys back. The homeless guy attacked him and beat him - in the full view of a million people - so horrendously that the victim has a spinal cord injury with partial paralysis. There is a video about it on the Internet, and get this: they are interviewing people in Parkchester area, and a million people knew about this homeless guy, knew that he was wandering around for months, and was belligerant. A South Asian convenience store owner says, oh yes, he comes here often, takes things, sometimes pays, sometimes not. A mother with a young kid rolls her eyes and says something to the effect of oh yes, this person has been around and has been looking dangerous. Well, if you see something, say something, and what has the Parkchester security done about this belligerant guy who has been seen by a million people as a suspicious character, and "sometimes pays, sometimes not" for stuff he takes from a convenience store? More than half of Parkchester condo fees goes on paying the security force, so wth?????

I actually talked to realtors to see if I can find a way to flip Parkchester for a Tudor City unit that already has a rental tenant (as Tudor City is a co-op that does not allow "subletting" in the first 2 years of co-op "ownership", but I assume would not object if a stable tenant is already in place). There were a lot of people on a waiting list looking to buy in Parkchester, with every realtor that operates in Parkchester, but it would be harder (although not impossible) to find exactly what I want in Tudor City. While in the process of looking into this, I realized that I could do a different thing: buy in Tudor City for myself when I am ready to leave Boston (which will not be until 2025 at the earliest), and keep Parkchester as an investment property (which will cover the condo fees in Parkchester and co-op fees in Tudor City). So that is where I stand now - but have to see these new senior buildings that are being built in Manhattan. Units in senior buildings typically cost only about 60% - 75% of general population buildings, even at senior market rate, not senior subsidized (senior units are the only ones you can buy in high $200k's on San Francisco peninsula, where the starting price for the tiniest studios is otherwise around $500k).

Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
I'm wondering if Soundview was very rowhome heavy before the Bronx is Burning era.

And a disappointing observation I made is that the the modern rowhomes all look the same! They must have built a bunch of those cookie cutter rowhomes around the same time. It's crazy to me how much worse they look than even the vinyl sided ones. I even think the barrel front ones with the vinyl siding look pretty decent.

A non disappointing observation is that I found pockets of the Southeast Bronx where a lot of original architecture survives.

Last edited by l1995; 07-11-2018 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or