U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:46 PM

20,259 posts, read 21,836,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm doing some searching on Zillow and it looks like most of the buildings in Bushwick were built 1920s and later (with some 00s and 10s as well, but no pre-merger). This would especially make sense in upper Bushwick considering the L train didn't arrive til around that time.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...03_rect/13_zm/

(First two built in 1931 and third built in 1910)

Those 3 were completely random, except that I avoided picking new looking buildings for obvious reasons.

Yes it also looks like there are some nice apartment buildings too. The area has a lot of potential, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets really expensive in the not too distant future.
I'm wondering if those were redevelopments where buildings were torn down in order to put denser ones in their place. There was a good amount of that in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill and that these buildings are among the taller old buildings in the area might point to that. There was definitely rail service in Bushwick aside from where the J and M train runs are now that existed prior to the L train as we know now.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-08-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,608,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm wondering if those were redevelopments where buildings were torn down in order to put denser ones in their place. There was a good amount of that in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill and that these buildings are among the taller old buildings in the area might point to that. There was definitely rail service in Bushwick aside from where the J and M train runs are now that existed prior to the L train as we know now.
That could be the case, I doubt the area was empty. But if they were going for density, I'm not sure why there are so many 2 and 3 story buildings in that area. I mean, the area is still very dense even with mostly low rise architecture. I wonder what it would be like if it had more 4-6 story buildings.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,608,716 times
You can even find some very urban looking areas North of Gun Hill Road!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8790...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-08-2018, 07:37 PM

2,594 posts, read 3,386,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's the area also called Van Cortlandt Village and it looks like a village in parts too. The areas along Segdwick and just off of it are quite nice, but it quickly turns into a ghetto shortly after you go south of the reservoir, so just be aware of that. I wouldn't venture anywhere past the reservoir heading south. 229th is sort of the "buffer".
I really like Segdwick Ave and Van Cortlandt Village but disagree about going south of the reservoir - I like that area between the reservoir and Kingsbridge Road. l1995 will be fine walking there.

Sometimes on a nice day we'll walk on Bedford Park Blvd. through Lehman Campus and then along the south side of the reservoir to take this step street to Kingsbridge Terrace then over to Broadway, over the Bridge to Inwood (because we used to live there) down Seaman Ave and then up the stairs to Fort Tryon.

A lot of the northwest Bronx and Inwood/Washington Heights have very similar architecture and density. I read they were developed around the same time. Except that in the Bronx there are more houses that were built around the turn of the century if not earlier The house that we live in had gas lighting originally and was built before records were kept.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 PM

7,597 posts, read 2,729,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I really like Segdwick Ave and Van Cortlandt Village but disagree about going south of the reservoir - I like that area between the reservoir and Kingsbridge Road. l1995 will be fine walking there.

Sometimes on a nice day we'll walk on Bedford Park Blvd. through Lehman Campus and then along the south side of the reservoir to take this step street to Kingsbridge Terrace then over to Broadway, over the Bridge to Inwood (because we used to live there) down Seaman Ave and then up the stairs to Fort Tryon.

A lot of the northwest Bronx and Inwood/Washington Heights have very similar architecture and density. I read they were developed around the same time. Except that in the Bronx there are more houses that were built around the turn of the century if not earlier The house that we live in had gas lighting originally and was built before records were kept.
That area south of the reservoir is straight up hood. I don't know what you're talking about. I even know of people who live near the reservoir who say that and they avoid it. Now after you get past Kingsbridge Road and continue along Sedgwick, there's a co-op building by the VA Hospital that is ok, and then you have the Fordham Hill co-op complex. Over there is ok, but you couldn't pay me to walk near Kingsbridge Road. All sorts of things happen there and it's been reported in the news over the years.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That area south of the reservoir is straight up hood. I don't know what you're talking about. I even know of people who live near the reservoir who say that and they avoid it. Now after you get past Kingsbridge Road and continue along Sedgwick, there's a co-op building by the VA Hospital that is ok, and then you have the Fordham Hill co-op complex. Over there is ok, but you couldn't pay me to walk near Kingsbridge Road. All sorts of things happen there and it's been reported in the news over the years.
I don't know what it's like to live there south of the reservoir, or late at night, but I've been there during the day more than a few times and it's fine.

You're afraid to walk on Kingsbridge Road? I don't think it's attractive, but I've been there a lot and you shouldn't be afraid either. If you are around there, there is a Vietnamese restaurant not far off and also a Mexican place called Montezuma. I've walked down Kingsbridge to go to Target, but walking back up is a killer (no not literally pierrepont!). The hill is so steep.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I don't know what it's like to live there south of the reservoir, or late at night, but I've been there during the day more than a few times and it's fine.

You're afraid to walk on Kingsbridge Road? I don't think it's attractive, but I've been there a lot and you shouldn't be afraid either. If you are around there, there is a Vietnamese restaurant not far off and also a Mexican place called Montezuma. I've walked down Kingsbridge to go to Target, but walking back up is a killer (no not literally!). The hill is so steep.
I'm not talking about Kingsbridge Road. I'm talking specifically about Sedgwick Avenue, south of the reservoir. It becomes very seedy very quickly from around 229th all the way down to Kingsbridge Road.

Kingsbridge Road leading to the 4 train station is similar to Fordham Road in that area. Usually busy with activity, so no, that corridor itself usually isn't an issue, but I would not walk along Segdwick late at night south of the reservoir. In fact most of Sedgwick can be quiet and desolate, so you need to be aware of your surroundings as it is isolated. There have been a few incidents even north of the area I mentioned with robberies because it is very quiet after a certain time.

The area south of the reservoir is just seedy. It isn't quiet per se... Just characters hanging around looking fo a victim. I've been in enough neighborhoods to know when an area is ghetto.

The area around Target is fine. There's enough activity there to feel safe enough even the projects there. I just make sure I'm aware of who is near me and all is well. It's like 231st in that regard. Late at night I don't like being there but if you watch yourself you're usually fine, as there are characters hanging around begging, etc.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about Kingsbridge Road. I'm talking specifically about Sedgwick Avenue, south of the reservoir. It becomes very seedy very quickly from around 229th all the way down to Kingsbridge Road.

Kingsbridge Road leading to the 4 train station is similar to Fordham Road in that area. Usually busy with activity, so no, that corridor itself usually isn't an issue, but I would not walk along Segdwick late at night south of the reservoir. In fact most of Sedgwick can be quiet and desolate, so you need to be aware of your surroundings as it is isolated. There have been a few incidents even north of the area I mentioned with robberies because it is very quiet after a certain time.

The area south of the reservoir is just seedy. It isn't quiet per se... Just characters hanging around looking fo a victim. I've been in enough neighborhoods to know when an area is ghetto.

The area around Target is fine. There's enough activity there to feel safe enough even the projects there. I just make sure I'm aware of who is near me and all is well. It's like 231st in that regard. Late at night I don't like being there but if you watch yourself you're usually fine, as there are characters hanging around begging, etc.
I'm not talking about walking around at night (cause I have no idea really) but it's fine during the day in my opinion.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Some streets south of Kingsbridge Road have some very impressive houses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8668...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about walking around at night (cause I have no idea really) but it's fine during the day in my opinion.
I wouldn't do it in the day quite frankly.

Quote:
Some streets south of Kingsbridge Road have some very impressive houses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8668...7i13312!8i6656
Yes, I'm familiar with this area. There's a lot of professional types living there (doctors, etc.). Lovely block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or