U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times

Advertisements

Newly constructed buildings are like this, because they’re building em on the cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:31 PM

161 posts, read 72,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Newly constructed buildings are like this, because they’re building em on the cheap
This myth keeps getting repeated over and over again

Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 754,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfilipov View Post
The worst are squeaky wooden floors that haven't been fixed since 1900. The downstairs neighbor thought she could blast loud music like a crazy person 24/7. And the upstairs neighbor just walked around non-stop from corner to corner on squeaky floors. It was pure hell. Not even ear plugs or fans could help. Done with that ****.
Actually, my first apt. was like that.
I had an upstairs neighbor that walked around in heels and had a two year old running around at all hours.
It wasn't all that bad. I really wasn't all that sensitive to noise in my 20's.
Now, it would drive me batsh** crazy for sure. But back then, I was like oblivious.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
For me, 1975 construction, concrete floors and ceilings...quiet as a tomb.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 PM

73 posts, read 53,592 times
The demonstration by way of the video clip alone is worth multiple reps! Thanks, BP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have always found noise complaints by tenants of various NYC apartment buildings to be a relative thing.

My building like many others has a good number of middle-aged to elderly "New Yorkers" that demand near graveyard silence *when it suits their needs*. However they are always in halls or other common areas having conversations in that loud and obnoxious NYC voice (see cartoon clip below). This and or sit in their apartments with television or radio blasting because otherwise they can't hear the thing.

But when a younger person has friends or whatever over even early as say 9PM or whatever they are banging on walls/floors/ceilings.......

Then you have the perpetual old biddies/fussy old men who complain about noise for sake of having something to complain about. They don't like children, babies, young people, dogs, cats, or anything else that disrupts their idea of what the building *used to* be like forty or more years ago when they moved into their RS or RC apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFfY7ko1ME

Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 AM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopted View Post
The demonstration by way of the video clip alone is worth multiple reps! Thanks, BP!

Believe it or not an (elderly) guy in our building has a sister who sounds exactly like that obnoxious Red Riding Hood.

One day was going out with some friends and he was coming in with the sister, after a bit of brief conversation in lobby we all went our separate ways. Once clear of the building and surely out of potential earshot one of my friends busted out with "Hey Grandma! I got a little bunny rabbit for you ta *have*!"

We all fell out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or