Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:27 AM

186 posts, read 268,355 times

Advertisements

Im really easy to get along with when it comes to these issues ,im really quiet in general at home as this city is just so noisy BUT ! My new Neighbor upstairs who has the same 1 Bedroom apartment lay out as i , has no carpets at all and a treadmill right smack in the middle of the bedroom above my head ,between the sound of the motor running on the treadmill and the dropping of dead weights while she works out either 5 am ,6 am 11,pm or midnight with her wireless headphones on
drives me insane im at my end with this situation . sorry for the rant as i just spent the last 2 hours in this hell !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Old Depression era song goes:

"It's just apartment house City,
Apartment House City.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor."

That's reality.
I think a lot of sounds go below the radar after a while.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM

133 posts, read 130,391 times
I read that as "insulated" as in it's either too cold or too hot on both floors. oops.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 PM

283 posts, read 233,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynDee View Post
Im really easy to get along with when it comes to these issues ,im really quiet in general at home as this city is just so noisy BUT ! My new Neighbor upstairs who has the same 1 Bedroom apartment lay out as i , has no carpets at all and a treadmill right smack in the middle of the bedroom above my head ,between the sound of the motor running on the treadmill and the dropping of dead weights while she works out either 5 am ,6 am 11,pm or midnight with her wireless headphones on
drives me insane im at my end with this situation . sorry for the rant as i just spent the last 2 hours in this hell !
Wow that sounds horrible
At least my friend’s neighbor is noisy as heck as they live their lives. But exercising in a poorly insulated apartment? A TREADMILL?! Unless you’re doing stretches and yoga, you’re being a jerk.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Old Depression era song goes:

"It's just apartment house City,
Apartment House City.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor."

That's reality.
I think a lot of sounds go below the radar after a while.
Sounds romantic almost, doesn’t it?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I cope by:
1. discussing it politely with my neighbors
2. taking off my shoes

Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
You underestimate how soundproof new buildings are. I have tons of friends living in newly built high rises (and a couple in low rises that are newly built) and without exception they all have very quiet buildings and never or rarely hear their neighbors.

Pre-war and postwar building seem a crapshoot though. Completely depends on the building
This is correct. I live in a new building and never hear anything at all. Sometimes I feel like I live in this building by myself.

I used to live in an older building (built 1920's), and I heard everything above and below me - from footsteps to arguments to music. It would sometimes drive me insane. BUT, thankfully, even then, my neighbors then were very cooperative. The only time I had an issue was back in 2012 when a group of young boys moved to the floor below me and I kid you not - they partied all night long - from 10pm until 6am - but that was the the subject of a different post I had already written about lol.

I think that even though older buildings are made out of what should be sound proof plaster walls, the problem is with the wooden floors. The floors are like drums: One layer - separated by joists, and then the layer below the joist. So, it's like your floor is not really your neighbors ceiling, there's another floor below.

Now in older tenements - like the ones in chinatown, those have the same floor / ceilings. A close friend of mine lives in that area - and recently, he was walking on his living room floor and the floor caved in and landed in his neighbors apartment below!

Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Now in older tenements - like the ones in chinatown, those have the same floor / ceilings. A close friend of mine lives in that area - and recently, he was walking on his living room floor and the floor caved in and landed in his neighbors apartment below!
LMAO... Sounds like that episode with Kate Moss from Family Guy where she kept falling through cracks in the floor because she was so skinny. She'd go "oops, crack in the floor!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq52YeBpXHs

Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 PM

77 posts, read 64,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Stayed over at a friend’s apartment this weekend and omfg i don’t know how he handles it. You can hear everything the upstairs neighbor does. It’s not like they’re having a party or being deliberately loud, and apparently they do have a lot of carpets, but every step, every thing they drop, etc can be heard. I woke up at least 5 times over the course of the night. I would go crazy living in that type of a building.

How many of you live in a building like this? How do you cope?

Oh yeah. Lived and struggled, and survived, in a building like that for two years. Two painful years! Those buildings are not for me. Never again. There are other ways to live. And the management companies don't care about anything. The worst are squeaky wooden floors that haven't been fixed since 1900. The downstairs neighbor thought she could blast loud music like a crazy person 24/7. And the upstairs neighbor just walked around non-stop from corner to corner on squeaky floors. It was pure hell. Not even ear plugs or fans could help. Done with that ****.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfilipov View Post
Oh yeah. Lived and struggled, and survived, in a building like that for two years. Two painful years! Those buildings are not for me. Never again. There are other ways to live. And the management companies don't care about anything. The worst are squeaky wooden floors that haven't been fixed since 1900. The downstairs neighbor thought she could blast loud music like a crazy person 24/7. And the upstairs neighbor just walked around non-stop from corner to corner on squeaky floors. It was pure hell. Not even ear plugs or fans could help. Done with that ****.
What type of building do you live in now where this is a nonissue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: