U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 05:12 AM

597 posts, read 194,298 times

Advertisements

He was arrested

And of course he was living in a shelter

But Deblasio wants to built more of them, to attract even more degenerates to the city

Silver lining in the story, maybe New Yorkers and tourist are getting smarter and not giving money to panhandlers anymore. He was most likely ticked he wasnít getting enough money.

Stop giving money to these people, so they stop. Iím seeing less and less
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
""I said, 'I don't have no money!' He was up in my face," said Vansluytman. "I said, 'You can go away from my face!'"

Suspect arrested after man struck in the face with metal tool during subway altercation in Lower Manhattan | abc7ny.com

Also as one has stated in another thread these homeless, nut jobs or whatever on subway are getting bolder and bolder. Have seen them get up in someone's face, and or even my own asking for money, food, or whatever.

It really is threatening and dangerous. Subway platforms are narrow, and there isn't much space on the trains either. So you can only move but so far from these egits; but telling them to eff off can provoke a reaction like that guy who was beat down with a metal pipe.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 AM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
He was arrested

But Deblasio wants to built more of them, to attract even more degenerates to the city

Silver lining in the story, maybe New Yorkers and tourist are getting smarter and not giving money to panhandlers anymore. He was most likely ticked he wasnít getting enough money.

Was on the "A" train about a week ago heading downtown; an older AA woman with a walker was working the train (this was around 9PM) and was getting nothing. Next day this huge woman in a wheelchair was working the 72nd and Broadway platform (I've seen her on the 8th Avenue line as well either at 42nd or 34th streets), she wasn't getting anywhere either.

For most of these panhandlers don't think they realize this is 2018, and many people (including myself) really don't carry any sort of cash. So working a crowd may not be as financially rewarding.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
""I said, 'I don't have no money!' He was up in my face," said Vansluytman. "I said, 'You can go away from my face!'"

Suspect arrested after man struck in the face with metal tool during subway altercation in Lower Manhattan | abc7ny.com

Also as one has stated in another thread these homeless, nut jobs or whatever on subway are getting bolder and bolder. Have seen them get up in someone's face, and or even my own asking for money, food, or whatever.

It really is threatening and dangerous. Subway platforms are narrow, and there isn't much space on the trains either. So you can only move but so far from these egits; but telling them to eff off can provoke a reaction like that guy who was beat down with a metal pipe.
I was at Penn Station Amtrak station the other day waiting for the boarding gate to be announced. This is in a huge general area where many people are standing around waiting for info about their trains.

I glimpsed what looked to be a man hassling a couple about money about 6 feet away from me. I made up my mind that if that guy started approaching me, I would just turn my body and eyes away from him so he wouldn't start in with me. So he starts coming over and I swivel away, and cast my eyes in another direction, in order to completely ignore.

Well, that didn't work, he started yelling at me for not looking at him, and in addition, he started hitting my hand!! Not just tapping lightly, but really with some force. I looked at him at that point and yelled "STOP IT" really loudly and he started yelling more about how I'm not paying attention to him, etc. I was surprised because nothing like this has ever happened to me and I've been in NYC a long time.

He did walk away, but I suppose in an enclosed train the end result might have been different. He seemed really angry and aggressive.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
He was arrested

Wait until Rikers is closed.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Wait until Rikers is closed.
They only want to close rikers for the land. They can then stick detention centers in the undersirable parts of the city. Rikers sit on prime real estate, look at the success of Roosevelt Island the developers can do the same there.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Penn Station Amtrak station the other day waiting for the boarding gate to be announced. This is in a huge general area where many people are standing around waiting for info about their trains.

I glimpsed what looked to be a man hassling a couple about money about 6 feet away from me. I made up my mind that if that guy started approaching me, I would just turn my body and eyes away from him so he wouldn't start in with me. So he starts coming over and I swivel away, and cast my eyes in another direction, in order to completely ignore.

Well, that didn't work, he started yelling at me for not looking at him, and in addition, he started hitting my hand!! Not just tapping lightly, but really with some force. I looked at him at that point and yelled "STOP IT" really loudly and he started yelling more about how I'm not paying attention to him, etc. I was surprised because nothing like this has ever happened to me and I've been in NYC a long time.

He did walk away, but I suppose in an enclosed train the end result might have been different. He seemed really angry and aggressive.
Aggressive panhandlers are becoming the norm, even when I go to Atlanta they are very aggressive if you donít give them money. They tend to target women and the elderly. They donít usually get as nasty with men.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
They only want to close rikers for the land. They can then stick detention centers in the undersirable parts of the city. Rikers sit on prime real estate, look at the success of Roosevelt Island the developers can do the same there.
A lot of these new luxury apts are empty, bru! A lot of commercial spaces are empty, bru!

No need to build more when we have a lot of available units.

Rikers need to stay a prison. Maybe build a homeless center on it and move all the crazy in it.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
A lot of these new luxury apts are empty, bru! A lot of commercial spaces are empty, bru!

No need to build more when we have a lot of available units.

Rikers need to stay a prison. Maybe build a homeless center on it and move all the crazy in it.
The ones by me fill up in a month. Every time I think no way another building is needed and a few weeks later people are already moving in.

Maybe manhattan high end luxury market is empty ( and even then developers aren’t really taking a lost if the building is 90% occupied) but everywhere else is doing pretty well.

Commercial properties, owners seem to not care that they sit empty. They aren’t building for fun either way, they anticipate an investment over the next few years as the population is expected to increase

But I agree they should keep rikers, closing it does nothing but reallocate prisoners elsewhere where the same issues can occur

Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM

19,079 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or