Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
The ones by me fill up in a month. Every time I think no way another building is needed and a few weeks later people are already moving in.

Maybe manhattan high end luxury market is empty ( and even then developers aren’t really taking a lost if the building is 90% occupied) but everywhere else is doing pretty well.

Commercial properties, owners seem to not care that they sit empty. They aren’t building for fun either way, they anticipate an investment over the next few years as the population is expected to increase

But I agree they should keep rikers, closing it does nothing but reallocate prisoners elsewhere where the same issues can occur
You know damn well where these new detention centers will be situated at... LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Penn Station Amtrak station the other day waiting for the boarding gate to be announced. This is in a huge general area where many people are standing around waiting for info about their trains.

I glimpsed what looked to be a man hassling a couple about money about 6 feet away from me. I made up my mind that if that guy started approaching me, I would just turn my body and eyes away from him so he wouldn't start in with me. So he starts coming over and I swivel away, and cast my eyes in another direction, in order to completely ignore.

Well, that didn't work, he started yelling at me for not looking at him, and in addition, he started hitting my hand!! Not just tapping lightly, but really with some force. I looked at him at that point and yelled "STOP IT" really loudly and he started yelling more about how I'm not paying attention to him, etc. I was surprised because nothing like this has ever happened to me and I've been in NYC a long time.

He did walk away, but I suppose in an enclosed train the end result might have been different. He seemed really angry and aggressive.
Woah. That's scary. I'm glad nothing more came out of it. It's hard to know how to react. If you engage, it just encourages them. If you ignore, that provokes them even more. I do a little bit of both. Don't engage but don't completely ignore either. I also silently pray. So far, I've been alright.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
A lot of these new luxury apts are empty, bru! A lot of commercial spaces are empty, bru!

No need to build more when we have a lot of available units.

Rikers need to stay a prison. Maybe build a homeless center on it and move all the crazy in it.
I think we need to both build more and have a vacancy tax.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:42 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
The mind control technique's of the mass media is at its strongest point I have ever seen.

Kind of makes you wonder if it has any relationship with all the vaccines they keep injecting people with, and why the FCC was so desperate to get everyone switched over from analog television to a digital signal.

Reminds me of Cronenbergs Videodrome.

It also feels like millennials are the most susceptible to having their thinking behavior modified by external elements, since they carry the highest number of vaccinations.
No, it really doesn't.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Next day this huge woman in a wheelchair was working the 72nd and Broadway platform (I've seen her on the 8th Avenue line as well either at 42nd or 34th streets), she wasn't getting anywhere either.
Got a voice like a bandsaw and calls out "Can you spare any change please"? She's a Penn Station fixture.

Pretty bold working the Amtrak waiting area aggressively; that area's full of cops and sometimes they're bored enough to actually do something.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Time to get a legislation with the right to carry gun like how everyone doing in Texas or Virginia. $h1t.....

Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Time to get a legislation with the right to carry gun like how everyone doing in Texas or Virginia. $h1t.....
It really is pretty cool to be able to carry in NYC. The only thing I worry about is getting into something and having to face a liberal NYC jury.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Got a voice like a bandsaw and calls out "Can you spare any change please"? She's a Penn Station fixture.

Pretty bold working the Amtrak waiting area aggressively; that area's full of cops and sometimes they're bored enough to actually do something.

Yes, think that do be her; she gets around for a big disabled person in a wheelchair.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

OMG. I know her. I've seen her. She's still around? She is one mean, nasty person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City