U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 AM
 
4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times
Reputation: 1550

Advertisements

See it here

https://twitter.com/jrsportbrief/sta...587932162?s=21

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A daredevil straphanger’s dangerous expedition underground was caught on camera.

Cell phone video shows a man hanging onto the outside of a subway car as it traveled through a pitch black tunnel. The man who took the video says the rider couldn’t get in the train, so he got onto the train — literally.

You can see the man holding on outside of the train’s doors, even letting one arm down as it passes through the tunnel. After a little over a minute, the man jumps off at the next stop.

Matt Beary filmed the ordeal around 8:30 a.m. Friday on the C train. He says the man subway surfed from the Clinton-Washington station to Lafayette Avenue.

“The woman next to me had her hand over her mouth in shock,” he said.


Straphangers who saw the video were stunned. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says it’s illegal, and warns riders in posters that “surfing” is deadly. In fact, the agency says between 1989 and 2011, 13 people were killed hanging off a train. 56 more were injured.

The NYPD says it’s investigating the incident and reminds everyone that trying to do something similar could land you in jail.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/07...subway-surfer/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM
 
6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Reputation: 7594
Regular surfing is fun. I do it all the time in Hawaii.

This is urban surfing. Not for me but YOLO for the dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
Reputation: 1334
I hate people like that. Because if they fall and get splattered, the rest of us on the platform will have PTSD hell to go through for the rest of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
See it here

https://twitter.com/jrsportbrief/sta...587932162?s=21

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A daredevil straphanger’s dangerous expedition underground was caught on camera.

Cell phone video shows a man hanging onto the outside of a subway car as it traveled through a pitch black tunnel. The man who took the video says the rider couldn’t get in the train, so he got onto the train — literally.

You can see the man holding on outside of the train’s doors, even letting one arm down as it passes through the tunnel. After a little over a minute, the man jumps off at the next stop.

Matt Beary filmed the ordeal around 8:30 a.m. Friday on the C train. He says the man subway surfed from the Clinton-Washington station to Lafayette Avenue.

“The woman next to me had her hand over her mouth in shock,” he said.


Straphangers who saw the video were stunned. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says it’s illegal, and warns riders in posters that “surfing” is deadly. In fact, the agency says between 1989 and 2011, 13 people were killed hanging off a train. 56 more were injured.

The NYPD says it’s investigating the incident and reminds everyone that trying to do something similar could land you in jail.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/07...subway-surfer/
Yo. I thought only white kids do stuff like this. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
966 posts, read 941,143 times
Reputation: 1670
"Paging Dr. Darwin. Dr. Darwin to Lafayette Avenue, stat!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 AM
 
1,524 posts, read 413,533 times
Reputation: 1038
Idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 PM
 
4,145 posts, read 3,439,875 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yo. I thought only white kids do stuff like this. Lol.
Oh noooooo. We hop on the backs of buses too ������
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 PM
 
7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
Reputation: 8016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I hate people like that. Because if they fall and get splattered, the rest of us on the platform will have PTSD hell to go through for the rest of our lives.
And the trains get delayed for hours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Reputation: 9021
Is there enough space between the local train like the C-train and the tunnel wall for a person to avoid being smeared off? Would a bubble-butt prove fatal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 01:52 PM
 
133 posts, read 50,888 times
Reputation: 59
I keep thinking about that red sign at the end of the platform that swings out. If that was out it would have smacked him like a home run baseball.. Glad he's okay, that's a bit much for a stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top