U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,151,203 times

Advertisements

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Apply with the income you will be making once your job starts. These lotteries can take forever. Ive been called for an interview before, almost 2 years after I applied.
Affordable housing ISN"T a fast process by any means. If you do get selected and called for an interview you will probably be working for a good amount of time before the interview happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Who is like everyone else? Not everyone lives with roommates...
Not everyone lives with roommates. But for someone just out of school, that's the obvious option.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,659,276 times
Apply, and put down an income that's within one of the brackets. When and if you get called, if you're in that bracket, you have a chance.

I agree with the previous advice to apply, and then forget about it.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM

129 posts, read 31,104 times
If you are in the higher brackets (100% 130%) you will most likely get called no matter your log no. there arent many takers for the higher priced ones. I would just apply and see what happens.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,532,416 times
I hope you are just missing some point and not being ignorant. For someone who can work at big 4 usually mean pretty smart, but it doesn’t sound so smart of you having to ask about what to do in this situation. Someone mentioned earlier, applied with the salary that you are going to get once you start your job.

I have a feeling you didn’t do your research before you post. When you submit your application, it doesn’t mean you are likely to get selected at all. Some people waited up to 10 years and still not hear anything with different application. So to think that you can get pick and have the neighborhood you have in mind is like a joke to me. I am not trying to talk you down, but at least do some homework before you post.

As much as I don’t like the fact that you posted without any research, I wish you good luck on getting pick.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 PM

42 posts, read 22,812 times
It's a lottery unless you have someone inside. I know a couple who waited 20 years for a unit by Amsterdam ave in the 90s. I also know someone in a low income threshold who got a desirable low priced unit in a new building on 11th ave in 5 months because she knew someone. You have to keep in mind that some people don't play fair, so it makes it even harder for everyone else.

Anybody who has struggled making a living in NYC applies to these things. It's kinda crazy.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,622,619 times
I know someone who got a phone call 8yrs after applying in march, asked to submit documents twice and got approved with a lease beginning a few days ago.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 PM

6,944 posts, read 10,824,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makattacks View Post
Thank you for your advice on finding an apartment STAT, thankfully I have a living situation for now, but It's not "ideal" (whatever that is). I'm currently looking towards housing lotteries where my 71k income "should" qualify for a 100% AMI 1 bedroom apartment at One Flushing. Although I am pretty young, it is my dream situation to live affordably in the neighborhood I grew up in. The only problem is my delayed start date.
Is this a joke?

You can seriously qualify for affordable housing making 71K as a single 20 something year old?

I'm seriously asking if it's a joke or if NYC has really gotten that far out of control.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 AM

61 posts, read 42,592 times
theres “affordable” housing for $2g but is that even affordable? For that price I feel like you shouldn’t have to worry about those lists knowing youll have a high enough income for most apartments. I would focus my energy looking for rent stabilized places so you won’t have to move so quickly. There’s even a phone number to check the address to make sure it’s rent stabilized. The worst thing is moving and getting set up just to have to move again

Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM

517 posts, read 104,364 times
This guys request is really stretching my imagination.

With a 100K salary fresh out of school, is he going to apply for food stamps too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or