U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,280 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently graduated from University and I will be starting work at an Accounting Big 4 in September. I'm looking to apply for affordable housing for an apartment on my community board with an AMI within my income range. The thing is that I won't start work until September, but the deadline to apply is August. If anyone has any input on my eligibility or any relevant experience please provide your input. My parents are planning to move out of NYC and that is their prerogative, hopefully, I will be able to get an apartment in our local neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Reputation: 1290
Since you don't have recent 6 pay stubs nor last years 1040, you'll probably be disqualified. If you did work, it's a bit more wonky. I'm not sure how they take extreme changes of income into account, but I would think they're looking for credibility.

That being said, the time between when you apply and when they interview is generally decently long. I clocked Essex Crossing to be about 6 months (no idea how I got low log numbers twice, but hey). Hopefully someone who has been in a similar situation can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 10:17 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 323,221 times
Reputation: 1423
Not gonna happen. You have no income history and your entry level wage for the big 4 is probably too high to qualify. There are people who have been on these lists before you were born and who probably make 1/2 your future income.

You need to start looking for roommates in Jackson Heights STAT...

What is your exact salary gonna be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,280 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Since you don't have recent 6 pay stubs nor last years 1040, you'll probably be disqualified. If you did work, it's a bit more wonky. I'm not sure how they take extreme changes of income into account, but I would think they're looking for credibility.

That being said, the time between when you apply and when they interview is generally decently long. I clocked Essex Crossing to be about 6 months (no idea how I got low log numbers twice, but hey). Hopefully someone who has been in a similar situation can chime in.
Yeah, I completely understand that I'm considered risky; hopefully, I will have an interview 10 months out


Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Not gonna happen. You have no income history and your entry level wage for the big 4 is probably too high to qualify. There are people who have been on these lists before you were born and who probably make 1/2 your future income.

You need to start looking for roommates in Jackson Heights STAT...

What is your exact salary gonna be?
Thank you for your advice on finding an apartment STAT, thankfully I have a living situation for now, but It's not "ideal" (whatever that is). I'm currently looking towards housing lotteries where my 71k income "should" qualify for a 100% AMI 1 bedroom apartment at One Flushing. Although I am pretty young, it is my dream situation to live affordably in the neighborhood I grew up in. The only problem is my delayed start date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM
 
2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
Reputation: 5125
Quote:
Originally Posted by makattacks View Post
Thank you for your advice on finding an apartment STAT, thankfully I have a living situation for now, but It's not "ideal" (whatever that is). I'm currently looking towards housing lotteries where my 71k income "should" qualify for a 100% AMI 1 bedroom apartment at One Flushing. Although I am pretty young, it is my dream situation to live affordably in the neighborhood I grew up in. The only problem is my delayed start date.
It could take ages for them to call you for any of those affordable buildings, so you have nothing much to lose by applying and hoping the lies you tell are true when your number comes up. I'd like to apply there as well, but having applied elsewhere I know you can get a number like 99,000 and wait until you die for your turn just to hand in paperwork. They'll take applications until the date listed, then "review" them, then start calling in supposedly numerical order, with a few wild cards thrown in, and IF they call you it could be 10 months away. You still won't have any earning history to back you up, but it costs nothing to apply and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by makattacks View Post
Yeah, I completely understand that I'm considered risky; hopefully, I will have an interview 10 months out




Thank you for your advice on finding an apartment STAT, thankfully I have a living situation for now, but It's not "ideal" (whatever that is). I'm currently looking towards housing lotteries where my 71k income "should" qualify for a 100% AMI 1 bedroom apartment at One Flushing. Although I am pretty young, it is my dream situation to live affordably in the neighborhood I grew up in. The only problem is my delayed start date.
Good luck, One Flushing looks like an amazing complex. I even applied as, although I fall into the highest bracket and probably will opt with Essex Crossing in the end since I like the LES more than Flushing, that price for a luxury 1bd with those type of amenities is amazing. Even that potential underground parking spot is sexy haha. Essex Crossing took my MAGI rather than AGI, but I found that as abnormal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 PM
 
8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Reputation: 10182
Am I missing something? You've already got a job with a major company, so probably a decent starting salary. Why can't you just get an ordinary apartment with a roommate like everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 PM
 
2,054 posts, read 983,643 times
Reputation: 3925
Don't you have to enter your salary on the forms? If you have no actual salary and you are not self employed, they aren't likely to pick you.

I don't think that you can lie because they are going to ask for proof of salary as well bank statements and other financial documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Am I missing something? You've already got a job with a major company, so probably a decent starting salary. Why can't you just get an ordinary apartment with a roommate like everyone else?
Who is like everyone else? Not everyone lives with roommates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 PM
 
774 posts, read 719,314 times
Reputation: 256
By all means apply!!! This is an extremely long process, and by the time you're called, you'll have plenty of pay stubs.You might even be edging retirement (just kidding, but only sort of). Fill out the application at Housing Connect, where I assume you've been, and put in the salary you will be receiving at your new job, even if you haven't started. And wait, and wait and wait. I think the biggest problem is your income will likely to be too high. In the meantime, look for another housing situation. Apply and forget about it. And don't keep your income down just so that you can continue to qualify. That is a huge mistake that will affect much bigger things in your life. Apply and forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top