U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,516 posts, read 22,073,976 times
Reputation: 10534

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I see lots of people walking around LIC. By the way I was in Downtown Brooklyn the other day and wasn't impressed. It's still got that Oklahoma City feel to it.
I see lots of people walking around LIC, too. I don't see how those buildings can be empty, because it's not like LIC is a particularly hot nightlife, retail or commercial area right now.

Then you've never been to Oklahoma City, because that's ridiculous. I can see being unimpressed since that's relative, but the only comparison point you wrote was Oklahoma City which is puzzling. Whereabouts did you go in Downtown Brooklyn? Or Oklahoma City for that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM
 
Location: New York
2,633 posts, read 2,705,814 times
Reputation: 750
I grew up in Manhattan and lived in four different boroughs. As a native Manhattanite, I would say the Bronx was an extension of Manhattan. Parts of the Bronx were Jewish enclaves which were an extension of areas like Riverside drive and the upper west side. Brooklyn had a different vibe and it wasn't an extension of lower Manhattan. Queens was farms as is Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM
 
161 posts, read 74,384 times
Reputation: 182
When it comes to these things culture is more relevant than geography. You could make the argument that Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg are becoming extensions of Manhattan but the Bronx is still a world away

Geography and neighborhoods are full of arbitrary lines, therefore "Manhattan" exists as a concept as much as a physical location. Back in the days, many people associated "Harlem" as something different than "Manhattan" despite clearly being in Manhattan.

next on the way to becoming a concept as much as location is "Brooklyn." They're like.. 50%+ of the way there already. When it becomes lame to wear a baseball hat or a t-shirt that says "Brooklyn" on it, you'll know that Brooklyn has reached Manhattan levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 09:10 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,516 posts, read 22,073,976 times
Reputation: 10534
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
When it comes to these things culture is more relevant than geography. You could make the argument that Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg are becoming extensions of Manhattan but the Bronx is still a world away

Geography and neighborhoods are full of arbitrary lines, therefore "Manhattan" exists as a concept as much as a physical location. Back in the days, many people associated "Harlem" as something different than "Manhattan" despite clearly being in Manhattan.

next on the way to becoming a concept as much as location is "Brooklyn." They're like.. 50%+ of the way there already. When it becomes lame to wear a baseball hat or a t-shirt that says "Brooklyn" on it, you'll know that Brooklyn has reached Manhattan levels
You can also talk about it in terms of what part of Manhattan we’re considering here. Certainly some of the parts closest to the Bronx in Manhattan have more than a passing cultural resemblance to the abutting parts of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,120 posts, read 6,053,722 times
Reputation: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
When it comes to these things culture is more relevant than geography. You could make the argument that Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg are becoming extensions of Manhattan but the Bronx is still a world away

Geography and neighborhoods are full of arbitrary lines, therefore "Manhattan" exists as a concept as much as a physical location. Back in the days, many people associated "Harlem" as something different than "Manhattan" despite clearly being in Manhattan.

next on the way to becoming a concept as much as location is "Brooklyn." They're like.. 50%+ of the way there already. When it becomes lame to wear a baseball hat or a t-shirt that says "Brooklyn" on it, you'll know that Brooklyn has reached Manhattan levels
and even today, Brooklyn and Queens are never, ever seen as being "Long Island". You drive from Queens and cross a line and you're on Long Island.....just like San Franciscans driving south cross a line and find themselves on "The Peninsula"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM
 
161 posts, read 74,384 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can also talk about it in terms of what part of Manhattan we’re considering here. Certainly some of the parts closest to the Bronx in Manhattan have more than a passing cultural resemblance to the abutting parts of Manhattan.
Exactly, that's my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 01:12 PM
 
161 posts, read 74,384 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
and even today, Brooklyn and Queens are never, ever seen as being "Long Island". You drive from Queens and cross a line and you're on Long Island.....just like San Franciscans driving south cross a line and find themselves on "The Peninsula"
Yup. Technically and geographically Long Island but conceptually and practically speaking, not at all Long Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Status: "It's cold outside." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Manhattan
1,826 posts, read 796,440 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

It’s really interesting winding through it on the 7 though.
Soon, you'll have this to greet you.

Upcoming Long Island City condo will be the tallest in the borough.

https://qns.com/story/2018/07/12/upc...llest-borough/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 408,179 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I am wondering if my impression is right: of the four outer boroughs, is the Bronx the one that is the true extension of Manhattan? The Bronx is closer to Manhattan than any other borough (although admittedly Brooklyn and Queens are far closer to Manhattan’s power centers, downtown and Midtown respectively.)

The Bronx is the only outer borough that has parts (western) of it being incorporated into the city prior to the Greater New York consolidation. The narrow Harlem River allowed NYC to continue its path of moving ever uptown,as the famed Manhattan grid fascilitated such growth. And the western portion of the Bronx continued the numbered streets northward.

The Bronx was so close to Manhattan that in the 1920s the original Yankee Stadium was built there and there was no sense that this was not in the city as it was within blocks of the Polo Grounds,its former home and remaining home of the Giants across the Harlem River.

And the Bronx is even closer to Manhattan than the width of the Harlem River and actually borders Marble Hill, Manhattan’s northern most neighborhood which due to the river’s rerouting ended up on the Bronx side of the waterway.

So...am I right or wrong in my saying the Bronx alone is the true extension of Manhattan?..

Wonder what happened to the post I just posted here about an hour ago?! So, I posted that the East Bronx was a part of Westchester County until 1895, while Upper Manhattan on the map looks like just a sliver of land off of the West Bronx. As far as I know, the South-West Bronx (with the exception of Riverdale) is also demographically similar to Upper Manhattan and Harlem, while the East Bronx is in fact more diverse in every way. I would say that Upper Manhattan and the South-West Bronx are parts of the same geographic and demographic unit, while the East Bronx is a transition between this geo-demographic unit and the land areas further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,564 posts, read 2,816,872 times
Reputation: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Wonder what happened to the post I just posted here about an hour ago?! So, I posted that the East Bronx was a part of Westchester County until 1895, while Upper Manhattan on the map looks like just a sliver of land off of the West Bronx. As far as I know, the South-West Bronx (with the exception of Riverdale) is also demographically similar to Upper Manhattan and Harlem, while the East Bronx is in fact more diverse in every way. I would say that Upper Manhattan and the South-West Bronx are parts of the same geographic and demographic unit, while the East Bronx is a transition between this geo-demographic unit and the land areas further north.
The West Bronx is different from the Northwest Bronx, just as the Northeast Bronx and the East Bronx aren't the same. Riverdale is int he Northwest Bronx, not West Bronx.

East Bronx = areas like Morris Park, Pelham Parkway, etc.

Northeast Bronx = areas like Wakefield and Williamsbridge

Northwest Bronx = areas like Riverdale, Woodlawn, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top