Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

The West Bronx is the part of The Bronx I consider similar to uppe Manhattan. But even so:

Quite a few buildings West of Jerome Ave and South of 183rd st or so were destroyed by the arson wave. So you see Fedders Houses and front driveway rowhomes from the rebuilding era, while you don't really see this even in upper Manhattan.

Also, the West Bronx has may more detached houses and twin houses than Manhattan.

And East of The Bronx River, The Bronx is nothing like Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The West Bronx will definitely gentrify before the East Bronx in my opinion, the housing stock is way more hipster approved

And especially West of Webster Ave, where most of the original buildings are still around

But hipsters are not the only kind of "gentrifyers" (sp? gentrifiers?) , and they already have large parts of Brooklyn.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
While that is true, your boundaries as of today are wayyy off. I'm just telling you what the different areas are. I know you only tend to move around in Parkchester, but there's a whole big Bronx out there besides that neighborhood. Just saying. I do hope you get out and travel for crying out loud. I can't stand it when people cling to one little neighborhood.
It's easier to explore with a car, but not as hard as it seems on foot either. Little Italy is quick from here, and Woodlawn is about an hour from Bedford Park if you avoid Webster and go through the cemetary. Getting to Upper Manhattan is faster. We walk to Pelham Parkway for appts-it's really fast and a beautiful walk if you cut through the NYBG. I'm hoping to find time to walk to Wave Hill this summer too.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Pls see also the second paragraph I added to previous post. Btw, I talked about Parkchester because I considered to retire there, and I considered to retire there ONLY because it is convenient to Manhattan but much cheaper than Manhattan. Parkchester (minus the crime, which finally dissuaded me from the idea of retiring there) would be a fabulous residential community, the best one I can imagine - because of Manhattan architecture near Manhattan, not because of anything else. The Bronx otherwise does not interest me. What is ironic or even unusual about that??
It sounds very boring to live somewhere that doesn't interest you. There's a lot about the Bronx that I find very interesting and quite a lot of cool things to do.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would like rest my head in a good residential community, and go to Manhattan every day. I would like to be a part of a self-contained good residential community near Manhattan. Parkchester is the size of a middle-sized town, it IS a community. It would be perfect if the crime would go to zero - a realistic goal according to the NYPD chief detective Dermot Shea (but still far from that goal, and I do not think that the goal will be achieved in the next 8-12 years, my timeframe for full retirement). I'm not that little lady, as I have taken that bus only once (my very first trip from Manhattan to Parkchester), I normally take the subway train 6. If I ever moved to the Bronx, I would naturally visit more than Parkchester, but otherwise I only want to take a closer look at the Zoo (I was there once in 1983, but it was a limited visit (free entry for 2 hours prior to the closing time - this was during my deep poverty days, and I couldn't afford ticket for the zoo :-), and I remember the nearby charred buildings more vividly than the animals).
The crime rate isn't 0 anywhere in the city. Or are you talking about the murder rate?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The crime rate isn't 0 anywhere in the city. Or are you talking about the murder rate?
If talking about murders wise South Shore Staten Island, Forest Hills, Middle Village, Midtown Manhattan

Old 08-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I am talking, eg, about the Parkchester police blog that I just got in my mailbox. There are about a dozen thefts in the Parkchester comnercial strip and on Tremont for the last month - presumably just shoplifting because no weapons are mentioned. That is too bad, but obviously would not prevent me from living in the area. But on July 30 at 10 am on the 1500 Metropolitan Av block, they list an assault/STRANGULATION... Jeesus.....

Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I am talking, eg, about the Parkchester police blog that I just got in my mailbox. There are about a dozen thefts in the Parkchester comnercial strip and on Tremont for the last month - presumably just shoplifting because no weapons are mentioned. That is too bad, but obviously would not prevent me from living in the area. But on July 30 at 10 am on the 1500 Metropolitan Av block, they list an assault/STRANGULATION... Jeesus.....
Do you get any other info - like was it an attack on a stranger or some type of domestic dispute? I assume the latter. Of course either way it's terrible, but more surprising and troubling if that was a street crime.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you get any other info - like was it an attack on a stranger or some type of domestic dispute? I assume the latter. Of course either way it's terrible, but more surprising and troubling if that was a street crime.

Sometimes the blog shows more info, but usually not. No other info in this case. Sometimes you hear more in the media about these violent crimes, more often not. Of course it would be more troubling if the victim was a random stranger, but I wouldn't feel safe living around people who strangle their domestic partners either.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It sounds very boring to live somewhere that doesn't interest you. There's a lot about the Bronx that I find very interesting and quite a lot of cool things to do.

It is not boring to live 30 min away from something that greatly intetests you, particularly if you live in a beautiful building complex that you love. My concern about Parkchester is not boredom, or anything else other than crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City