U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,917,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
What's the composition there? My first assumption of VA is that it's predominantly white.

Northern VA around the DC area is all govt workers, govt contractors, educators etc. Its very diverse and middle-upper class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM

14,806 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Not surprising at all.

These ethnic urban types are often the biggest racists.
And so are you!

HAHAHAHAHA

Relax, Relaxx. ITs just a joke!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM

14,806 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Not surprising at all.

These ethnic urban types are often the biggest racists.
Giggling, gigiddy.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
What am I accusing you of? I asked you a question. I relayed my own experience and then asked you what yours were. In the past, there were times when you argued about a neighborhood and then it turned out you only took a bus through the area or were just on the main roads. And sometimes you've never even been but viewed it on Google maps and looked up some census data.

And my comments were that you called people racist in the Brentwood thread. I thought it was so ridiculous when I read that thread a while back. And you keep on doing the same thing over and over. Race, race, race, race, race. Perhaps you would consider me a racist because when I visited, I thought Brentwood looked lower income relative to the other Suffolk neighborhoods that I've been to. The houses were on the small side and there wasn't much in the way of landscaping. I also knew my friends who had just purchased their home were not making much money and it was what they could afford. I'm not comparing Brentwood to the "hood" since I don't spend time there. I compared it to other Suffolk County neighborhoods that I've been to. What are you really comparing it to? You called it a normal Suffolk neighborhood before but now you're saying it's not the hood?

I think it's important in these conversations to understand what people are using as a reference point. Long Islanders, on average, make more money, own their homes, and are used to higher standards of living. What some people consider to be bad neighborhoods on Long Island might be more like average neighborhoods in NYC. It's all relative. It would be helpful to try to understand other people's points of views rather than assume people are racist. It's a lazy way of thinking.
Well you said that I comment on areas I have insufficient experience with, then give your opinion on Brentwood (which sounds like you visited once).

I'm comparing Brentwood to all of the Suffolk County neighborhoods I been to. I haven't been everywhere in Suffolk County, but I've been to many places spanning the stretch of the county.

Just my personal opinion, a block like this might have small houses but to me it doesn't look blighted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7943...7i13312!8i6656

And Brentwood also has plenty of blocks like this where the houses aren't small either

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7907...7i13312!8i6656

Yes of course everyone has different standards. However to my recollection, I did not say that anyone was racist just because they didn't like Brentwood. If I did say that someone was racist, it was probably for a different comment. But that was a while ago anyway, what this thread is about is Jones Beach being trashed, where both the Long Island thread and especially the Patch.com article had blatantly racist comments.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 AM

9,920 posts, read 7,687,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
They're not so urban anymore!
For someone that constantly says everything is so urban, now says it is not so urban because it doesn't fit the racial description you've formed in your head. Do you not hear yourself? Ridgewood and Astoria, which both still have a fair amount of ethnic whites are urban. Far more urban than Springfield Gardens.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 AM

18,260 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
What's the composition there? My first assumption of VA is that it's predominantly white.

Not really.

Washington, D.C. is rather small, so obviously people have to live or whatever somewhere, and that usually means within or near the "Beltway". This translates mostly to parts of Virginia and Maryland that are relative easy commuting into the Capital for a wide assortment of middle class and above persons/households. Everything from K Street lobbyists, to various civil service, military, corporate and so forth.

Maybe forty or fifty years ago VA (especially the north) was mostly white; but that has changed. Area is far more diverse in large part again to proximity to Washington, D.C.

It isn't just blacks/minorities but as the USA has become a global power you have all sorts of people that do business with or in Washington, D.C. that have to live somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_the_Beltway

Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
For someone that constantly says everything is so urban, now says it is not so urban because it doesn't fit the racial description you've formed in your head. Do you not hear yourself? Ridgewood and Astoria, which both still have a fair amount of ethnic whites are urban. Far more urban than Springfield Gardens.
I thought he was referring to people on Long Island

Old 07-11-2018, 05:30 AM

750 posts, read 269,485 times
Quote:
Well you said that I comment on areas I have insufficient experience with, then give your opinion on Brentwood (which sounds like you visited once).

I'm comparing Brentwood to all of the Suffolk County neighborhoods I been to. I haven't been everywhere in Suffolk County, but I've been to many places spanning the stretch of the county.

Just my personal opinion, a block like this might have small houses but to me it doesn't look blighted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7943...7i13312!8i6656

And Brentwood also has plenty of blocks like this where the houses aren't small either

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7907...7i13312!8i6656

Yes of course everyone has different standards. However to my recollection, I did not say that anyone was racist just because they didn't like Brentwood. If I did say that someone was racist, it was probably for a different comment. But that was a while ago anyway, what this thread is about is Jones Beach being trashed, where both the Long Island thread and especially the Patch.com article had blatantly racist comments.
Yes, I’ve only been to Brentwood once which is why I only speak to my experiences and don’t try to constantly contradict other people like you do on this board. And this is Brentwood we’re talking about which has had a ton of gang violence in recent years. If your perception based on your visits is that it’s not bad yet the neighborhood has in fact seen so much violence, doesn’t that suggest to you that it’s hard to judge neighborhoods based on limited experiences? That maybe other people who think it’s bad have very legitimate reasons for thinking so?

You should reread your old posts given how often you pull the race crap but then claim to not remember.

And please stop scouring comment sections on internet blogs. I remember you saying you do it with Breibart also. It’s like you’re deliberately looking for things to get offended about. Why? Those are toxic and not necessarily representative of the broader population. On one neighborhood blog that I used to read, the comment section consisted of one person creating multiple aliases and talking to himself. It became clear when he screwed up once and forgot to switch aliases. Crazy people out there. There’s a reason why some more reputable sites disable comments or heavily moderate them. Do you think anyone on the Jones Beach thread was really opening up the link and then going through the comments like you did? It’s like you’re constantly looking for ways to cry racism.

Last edited by MC305; 07-11-2018 at 05:38 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 07:02 AM

6,828 posts, read 4,428,208 times
Oh please.

Look at Daytona Beach during Spring Break.
Look at Miami Beach during Memorial Day Weekend
Look at Cabos, Mexico during Spring Break or summer season
etc.

People lose their reasoning when you have alcohol, girls in bikinis and dudes flexing to be alpha dogs. A major holiday compounds this issue since you have MORE people off from work and joining the festivities.

Jones Beach is no different. A good portion of the population of NYC go to Jones Beach during the major holidays. You have fireworks, ladies in thongs/gstrings, alcohol, dudes trying to outflex other dudes for alpha status - a ****load of garbage, fights, STDs, vomit, diarrhea, etc.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM

264 posts, read 119,442 times
Quote:
I don't care which one of us is actually more white, but my gripes with him regarding this:

he insinuates that I'm from a white neighborhood or something, when Baldwin and about 4 of the neighboring towns are heavily nonwhite. As for the other thing, when a someone from Long Island (or anywhere) is complaining about "inner city folk" or people from "3rd world towns" coming in and trashing the beach, you know damn well what that person really means. He acts like I'm unnecessarily bringing up race for pointing that out.
If you reside in Baldwin, why drive out to Jones Beach... why not just go to Long Beach? Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City