U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:38 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,019,631 times

Advertisements

I usually tip $5 for anything under $40, a dollar more for each $10 on top.

So $50, you can give $6.

$3 is kind of low for the driving and gas. I used to be s delivery boy so I know, however, some people gave $50 cents and told me to keep the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:56 AM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I usually tip $5 for anything under $40, a dollar more for each $10 on top.

So $50, you can give $6.

$3 is kind of low for the driving and gas. I used to be s delivery boy so I know, however, some people gave $50 cents and told me to keep the change.
I can't remember ever having my food delivered by car. Everyone is always on foot or on a bike. Driving to deliver in most of NYC would cost you significantly more than just for gas, because most likely at every other delivery spot, you'd get a ticket for double parking.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 AM

20,139 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
$18 dollar food order. I tipped $3. My wife said I was cheap. Whats the going rate these days?

I hope your spendthrift wife works.

Of course, $3 is fine.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
If you are meeting people outside your building $3 is fine but really you should give them $5, if they are spending time waiting to be buzzed in, waiting for the elevator and bringing it to your door. The thing is a few extra bucks for delivery every now and then means the world to the delivery person and not much coming outta your pocket. If you can't afford an extra buck or two maybe you should be cooking at home instead. Its funny those who make less I find to be more generous then those who make more.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
If you are meeting people outside your building $3 is fine but really you should give them $5, if they are spending time waiting to be buzzed in, waiting for the elevator and bringing it to your door. The thing is a few extra bucks for delivery every now and then means the world to the delivery person and not much coming outta your pocket. If you can't afford an extra buck or two maybe you should be cooking at home instead. Its funny those who make less I find to be more generous then those who make more.
A tip is not a given. It's EARNED and no one is obliged to give anything, especially if free delivery is offered, but yes, it's bad etiquette not to give anything if you receive good service.

I've had delivery guys leave my food at the front desk in my office building, and I had to come down and get it. Had I not been required to tip in advance I wouldn't have given anything. I also refuse to tip if my food is extremely late. If the delivery person is courteous then I have no problem tipping 20%. I just had lunch delivered to me a little earlier. I know that it usually takes an hour or so for me to get my food even though the place is almost across the street from the office, but it's a mob scene so I'd rather have it delivered. I think it was roughly $17 for two items with tax. I tipped $4.00. The delivery guy was very thankful and professional.

One thing I don't do is tip on the total with tax. I tip on the total BEFORE tax. That seems to vary by person.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

19,138 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
If you can't afford an extra buck or two maybe you should be cooking at home instead.
get em girl

/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
get em girl

/thread
LMAO... So that person is a woman... Glad you cleared that up.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
$18 dollar food order. I tipped $3. My wife said I was cheap. Whats the going rate these days?
Seems all right, but I've always felt that it shouldn't necessarily based solely on the cost of the order but the amount to carry and the distance he traveled.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've always felt that it shouldn't necessarily based solely on the cost of the order but the amount to carry and the distance he traveled.
I agree and also the amount to time they spend delivering to you.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,445,983 times
A day in the life. I didn't realize how much of the delivery tips run through credit cards now.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_7150520.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or