U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:58 AM

98 posts, read 30,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
https://nypost.com/2018/09/06/teen-p...onths-in-jail/

Plea deals are getting out of control. This dude killed a man.

Disgusting----a near 70 year man beaten to death because of catcalling ---while what appears to be the subject of catcalling attempts to stop the perpetrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM

202 posts, read 58,945 times
Default Forest Hills residents

Be aware. AA suspects in hate crime against white male. This is usually a quiet neighborhood.

https://qns.com/story/2018/09/17/two...-forest-hills/

Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,669,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
Be aware. AA suspects in hate crime against white male. This is usually a quiet neighborhood.

https://qns.com/story/2018/09/17/two...-forest-hills/
Race relations will just keep on getting worse and worse.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,669,953 times
X rated police officers

https://nypost.com/2018/09/19/brookl...ses-his-groin/

Old 09-21-2018, 09:11 PM

1,884 posts, read 823,515 times
Three babies stabbed at Flushing day care center as worker goes on violent rampage

https://qns.com/story/2018/09/21/thr...-rampage-cops/

Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 33,279,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Three babies stabbed at Flushing day care center as worker goes on violent rampage

https://qns.com/story/2018/09/21/thr...-rampage-cops/
Im still confused as to how Flushing turned Asian

It was mostly White until the 1980s from what I understand

What made them leave

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Im still confused as to how Flushing turned Asian

It was mostly White until the 1980s from what I understand

What made them leave
I'm not sure.. It's before my time. My family was still living in upstate and we didn't make the move to NYC yet. I think it was mostly white with a small enclave of Japanese but by the late 70's, it started to become increasingly more black bringing increasingly more crime so white people & the Japanese started to look elsewhere. That left things open for Asians, mostly Koreans to move in to fill the gap which pushed out blacks. They later got pushed out further east by the Northern Blvd/Long Island area by the Chinese which is now modern Flushing. I think that's what happened as was told by long time Flushing residents to me.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure.. It's before my time. My family was still living in upstate and we didn't make the move to NYC yet. I think it was mostly white with a small enclave of Japanese but by the late 70's, it started to become increasingly more black bringing increasingly more crime so white people & the Japanese started to look elsewhere. That left things open for Asians, mostly Koreans to move in to fill the gap which pushed out blacks. They later got pushed out further east by the Northern Blvd/Long Island area by the Chinese which is now modern Flushing. I think that's what happened as was told by long time Flushing residents to me.
Yeah but where were Black people moving to in Flushing that made White people want to move? Besides NYCHA and maybe Colden Street, thats the only place that I know in Flushing proper where Black people might live. This is the one NYC puzzle to me that makes no sense. Usually when neighborhoods turn like that, that means Flushing should have looked like southeast Queens now.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but where were Black people moving to in Flushing that made White people want to move? Besides NYCHA and maybe Colden Street, thats the only place that I know in Flushing proper where Black people might live. This is the one NYC puzzle to me that makes no sense. Usually when neighborhoods turn like that, that means Flushing should have looked like southeast Queens now.
Hmmm....
I think blacks made their presence know in the 41st Ave, Roosevelt Ave, and Main Street areas. I recall long time neighbors telling me that Roosevelt Ave (where Macy's at currently & where all the buses are) used to have Woolworths, Alexander's and Macy's was called something else back then, I think Gertz.

Anyway, they told me the dept. stores were having incidents of theft and general mayhem so much so that they put signs out saying "no teens are allowed in unaccompanied by an adult past 8 pm" or something like that & smaller stores started shutting down. So all that spooked whites (they sensed the neighborhood was in decline) so when Koreans started coming in expressing interest they quickly sold their property at rock bottom prices to them. They were that desperate to get out. (Now, why Koreans initially targeted Flushing as the place to settle down is anyone's guess. I don't know). And that's when Flushing started to turn increasingly more Korean with Koreans moving in and setting up shop which drove up property prices and the blacks got priced out. I'm guessing. It later attracted the Chinese and now the Koreans are out.

Some old time Flushing residents say that the Koreans "saved" the area because it was headed downhill with increasing crime.
If Koreans didn't come in, Flushing may have turned out to be more like Southeast Queens.

Last edited by Aeran; 09-22-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Hmmm....
I think blacks made their presence know in the 41st Ave, Roosevelt Ave, and Main Street areas. I recall long time neighbors telling me that Roosevelt Ave (where Macy's at currently & where all the buses are) used to have Woolworths, Alexander's and Macy's was called something else back then, I think Gertz.

Anyway, they told me the dept. stores were having incidents of theft and general mayhem so much so that they put signs out saying "no teens are allowed in unaccompanied by an adult past 8 pm" or something like that & smaller stores started shutting down. So all that spooked whites (they sensed the neighborhood was in decline) so when Koreans started coming in expressing interest they quickly sold their property at rock bottom prices to them. They were that desperate to get out. (Now, why Koreans initially targeted Flushing as the place to settle down is anyone's guess. I don't know). And that's when Flushing started to turn increasingly more Korean with Koreans moving in and setting up shop which drove up property prices and the blacks got priced out. I'm guessing. It later attracted the Chinese and now the Koreans are out.

Some old time Flushing residents say that the Koreans "saved" the area because it was headed downhill with increasing crime.
If Koreans didn't come in, Flushing may have turned out to be more like Southeast Queens.
Ok, so why aren't the Blacks still in that area of Flushing??

It doesnt seem that way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or