U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 33,279,354 times

Advertisements

Cause usually how blockbusting works is they sell the houses dirt cheap to Black people and then they paid Black kids to cause mayhem, making the White people sell and leave. Then the whole neighborhood turns Black.

Were they importing Black kids to Flushing specifically to make way for the Asians? And then when they were done, just dumped them into the few NYCHAs that Flushing does have?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 02:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 823,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ok, so why aren't the Blacks still in that area of Flushing??

It doesnt seem that way.
Oh, they're still there (but most of them got priced out). And not just in NYCHA (which is becoming increasingly more Asian and less black). There are some affordable bldgs (one just opened opposite the police station) and I that's where they're at. Actually, I've seen more blacks shopping and walking around in Flushing now than ever before. Hispanics too (they're mostly in the Union Street area further out and on Northern Blvd). South Asians as well (further out in Main Street). They're pockets where they've settled. It's just that they get lost because the Chinese are so dominant.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Cause usually how blockbusting works is they sell the houses dirt cheap to Black people and then they paid Black kids to cause mayhem, making the White people sell and leave. Then the whole neighborhood turns Black.

Were they importing Black kids to Flushing specifically to make way for the Asians? And then when they were done, just dumped them into the few NYCHAs that Flushing does have?
Oh....that's what blockbusting is? Oh....

I think Asians coming in was just by chance. I think...
Now you have me thinking...

I'm going to start asking around...!

Old 09-22-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh....that's what blockbusting is? Oh....

I think Asians coming in was just by chance. I think...
Now you have me thinking...

I'm going to start asking around...!
Let me know, I'm intrigued!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Let me know, I'm intrigued!
I've asked around and no one really knows. It was all before anyone's time. But consensus is that around the late 70's, Flushing was on it's way to becoming a black neighborhood. Why it started no one knows but blacks started moving in, whites started leaving but at the same time Asians (Chinese & Koreans) started to become interested in the area & contractors started building housing that were advertised heavily at the Asian community, the price range being beyond many blacks & that's how Asians started coming in. There weren't many black owners if at all so it was easy for them to get priced out and the whites who owned were bought out & that's how Flushing turned into the way it is now.

Oh, and whether the whole thing was somehow calculated (bring the blacks in to drive out the whites and then drive them out to make room for the Asians) no one knows for sure or if it was just by chance. Or if they do know, they're not saying.

Last edited by Aeran; 09-22-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I've asked around and no one really knows. It was all before anyone's time. But consensus is that around the late 70's, Flushing was on it's way to becoming a black neighborhood. Why it started no one knows but blacks started moving in, whites started leaving but at the same time Asians (Chinese & Koreans) started to become interested in the area & contractors started building housing that were advertised heavily at the Asian community, the price range being beyond many blacks & that's how Asians started coming in. There weren't many black owners if at all so it was easy for them to get priced out and the whites who owned were bought out & that's how Flushing turned into the way it is now.

Oh, and whether the whole thing was somehow calculated (bring the blacks in to drive out the whites and then drive them out to make room for the Asians) no one knows for sure or if it was just by chance. Or if they do know, they're not saying.
We had a poster by the name of Loribell who was from the Pomonok area, but she doesnt come around these parts anymore. She was around during those times. But thanks for the input man!

Old 09-23-2018, 01:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,719,401 times
Quote:

A lot of what you say rings true to me. I lived there in the mid 80s. The composition was a healthy mix of white, Korean, and East Indians. This is not mentioned but there were a lot of Indians and Pakistani. Some were Hindu and some were Muslim. I don't recall a lot of black people, so I'm not sure what that is about.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,719,401 times
These are photos from the 1984 yearbook at JHS 189 located on Sanford Avenue in Flushing.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:21 PM

712 posts, read 281,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Rape has nothing to do with sex.
That's commonly stated, but I disagree with it. It's a oversimplification. There are many types of rapists and for some it's absolutely about sex...forced sex.

It's a twisted sexuality. They" get off "on the forced aspect of it. Some are highly preferential as far as their choice of victims goes(age, race, beauty, hair color ect) while others will pick any age because they are so turned on the mere act of forcing sex on someone. Rapists come with different psychopathology.

If you listened to some true serial rapists(not the "metoo" nonsense) in interviews many times they say they can't really enjoy normal sex. They don't like it when their partner likes it. They want to be able to force themselves on someone. They may even ask their consensual partner to act out rape fantasies. It's not about misogyny in most cases.

It's a warped sexuality disorder. If you can understand that homosexuals are born being gay and that it's genetic, then you can understand pedophiles or certain types of rapists are also born that way and have no choice in what turns them on. True pedophilia is an attraction to 13 and under/pre pubescent children. A man who finds a 17 year old female attractive does not have pedophilia. Only an idiot would make that diagnoses. A 17 year old is a sexually mature biological adult who has gone though puberty.. Pedophilia has nothing to do with age difference and is simply an attraction to little kids. There's no sexual outlet for pedophiles since they only like little kids. In many cases they actually in their own minds feel "love" for the child and feel a close connection. This is of course in their own twisted minds.

Pedophiles are born liking little children. Your sexuality is not a choice, but acting out those sick acts is a choice so they are of course responsible for their actions. Many of those pedophile offenders are highly preferential for a certain age group. They don't "choose" that sexuality. That's why rehabilitating them is so difficult since you can't change their sexual orientation. Rehab must concentrate on techniques/therapy for avoiding the behavior since you'll never get rid of the urge. Sort of like drug rehab. Those pedophiles are not turned on by people who have gone through puberty. In the future we will discover the genes that code for sexual orientation and hopefully be able to cure these behaviors with crispr or some other type of gene editing tech.

Rape is obviously wrong because it's not consensual and so is having sex with little children that have no idea what they are doing since they haven't gone through puberty. I'm not absolving their responsibility for their heinous actions. I'm simply pointing out the obvious biological reasons for these behavioral patterns. A rapist or pedophile is a mentally ill individual, But who knows what they're doing and therefore should of course be prosecuted. But sentencing should reflect an understanding of this. A normal person doesn't have an uncontrollable urge to force sex on someone or think all day long about the 8 year old across the street. Serial rapists are risking their lives/freedom to do this. It's a true pathology that they never asked for.

I think an understanding of this should be reflected in sentencing. I don't agree with life sentences/multiple decade long sentences on first offences. I think they should be given a second chance. 50 percent do not re-offend. I think life sentences should be reserved for people who murder only. A 10 year sentence seems reasonable for a pedophile who sex with someone under 14 on a first offence for example. People nowadays are talking about executing them. Really ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 PM

8,060 posts, read 6,639,917 times
If someone rapes one of my children they better:

A) Hope the cops get them first.

B) Hope they get a life sentence.

If not, I will be waiting outside of whatever prison they’re in the day they get released.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or