Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, the problem is you make too many ASSumptions about things you know nothing about.

For starters, in those shelters there are caseworkers that refer those people to programs and agencies. They get them on a minimum of food stamps. Yes even Whole Foods takes food stamps, meaning homeless can afford to buy from there . Some welfare programs have cash assistance, so there are additional things homeless can buy such as a smartphone (needed to look for work).

Those who are disabled can get SSI.

Putting homeless shelters in the neighborhoods that have the highest concentration of poor people only benefits RACISTS like yourself and is a factor in ghettoization.

Manhattan, in addition to having more services the homeless need to get their lives together and go back to work, also has more schools for the homeless to receive job training and or education. Putting them on the fringes of the city and surrounding them in poverty makes it much less likely they can get the help or the work they need and further marginalizes them.

I get you don't want to see homeless people. But I do not care what you want.

De Blasio is doing the right thing by putting some of the homeless shelters in rich neighborhoods.

It also makes it more visible, and it NEEDS to be. Putting them in the fringes of the city allows certain people to pretend the problem doesn't exist. It needs to be out in the open, where everyone can see it and deal with it.

Don't like it?

Then work to end homelessness.

People like you hate unions and support Republicans who have constantly attacked working class people, who have offshored work, who have outsourced work from companies to temp agencies, etc. Obviously the minimum wage doesn't get you much in NYC, and people living from paycheck to paycheck are one disaster away from homelessness. And before you say they should move, NYC could not survive without it's low wage workers which make up the entire retail and service sector workforce.

So you support policies that lead to homelessness, they need to be in your neighborhood. Hopefully they take a dump on your doorstep.
You know about being homeless and programs more than anything else

You sure you not related to aquarius37?

You got a dog you ain't tell us about yet?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,187 times
I bet the mayor made sure none of his major donors live in that neighborhood!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 PM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm going to throw something out there: Homelessness in NY is very visible and especially in Manhattan. On a psychological level, I'd actually wager the in-your-face nature of the issue actually decreases human compassion. When you see the same faces in the same places for years or when a subway ride features 4 or 5 different people asking for change it actually hardens you to the issue. Does this excuse being ill compassionate? absolutely not. But for all of the services out there and money spent for the issue to keep getting worse and worse and worse makes one feel numb.
I don’t give money to any homeless people

If you have two working arms and legs, you could be working

I’m not contributing to the K2 epidemic by giving them some money for cheap drugs

Soup kitchens exist for food

In 2 years at most, people end up getting an apartment if they aren’t druggies

Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I don’t give money to any homeless people

If you have two working arms and legs, you could be working

I’m not contributing to the K2 epidemic by giving them some money for cheap drugs

Soup kitchens exist for food

In 2 years at most, people end up getting an apartment if they aren’t druggies
I give food, and to be fair most are appreciative. I realize the system is broken but it doesn't seem like anyone really cares about solving the issue. NYC has long had a poverty industrial complex that employs many people and involves alot of money, not to mention the political constituency it creates. I am deeply cynical if any of our "leaders" really want to solve poverty at all.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
To be fair, these shelters in hotels are contact based which means not permanent. Sooner or later the contact will end and not be renewed on either side, and or city will decide to lessen or even cease use of hotels as shelters.

If we finally get someone sensible as mayor in 2021 that stops catering to the poor or whatever, there very well could be a downsizing in homeless as people stop seeking an easy touch. That "housing is a right" nonsense is being abused and we all are paying.

Speaking of upscale areas and homeless, many are unaware of how often homeless are shoved into their "nice" areas either via vouchers and or supportive housing deals with private landlords.

Have been wondering for some time now where all the homeless wandering the streets of UES/Yorkville (especially at night) suddenly appeared from; including those with obvious mental issues like the guy who walks in middle of Second, First, and York avenues.

Answer is they live in the area. From Third east to York and there are various "supportive" housing and or voucher apartments where landlords made deals (then) because rents for area were low and or they couldn't get other tenants.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Put a homeless shelter on 5th av or Park Ave on the Upper East Side.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's funny that anyone who disagrees with you is racist. You can't possibly believe that it benefits homeless people trying to get on their feet to live in the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC. That's exactly what should happen. They should spend what little money they do have on expensive items. I see those Ivy League schools are turning out real geniuses.

If I had my way de Blasio would've been out. I never voted for him. The only problem is too many bozos drinking the kool-aid.
Yes. I believe it benefits homeless people trying to get on their feet to be in expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. For reasons I previously explained. I'm not saying all homeless people should be placed in Manhattan, as no one neighborhood or district should shoulder all the burden.

But there are definite benefits to homeless people being in CONVENIENT, wealthy districts.

You don't have your way, and so that's that.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Why does it make sense to put poor homeless people in the most expensive area in the city. Everything cost more from food to water. It’s all about “fairness” then it is about something making actual sense long term.

You are supposed to put homeless where they can build a better life and have the services to excel. You put them in the middle of manhattan, where will they find a place to live permanently in the same area. It’s impossible

Being near public transportation should be the priority, that’s it. They actually need to stop building temporary shelters and focus on permanent housing
This is temporary housing though and yes it should be spread throughout the city.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. I believe it benefits homeless people trying to get on their feet to be in expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. For reasons I previously explained. I'm not saying all homeless people should be placed in Manhattan, as no one neighborhood or district should shoulder all the burden.

But there are definite benefits to homeless people being in CONVENIENT, wealthy districts.

You don't have your way, and so that's that.
What does that have to do with them not being able to afford anything in that neighborhood?

Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
This is temporary housing though and yes it should be spread throughout the city.
They shouldn’t be building anymore temporary housing

The city will never admit it but there are multiple shelters nearby me, that always have altercations or some sort. Let alone attracts panhandlers and dirty up the neighborhood as they throw trash everywhere. We need permenent housing

The more shelters we build, it will never be enough because they will be more coming.

Build mental facilities

Give homeless jobs, have them clean up these nasty streets for a place to live. They are doing a program like that in dallas. They need something to do rather than roaming around doing nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: