U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 PM

1,791 posts, read 761,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Possibly the most horrifying and durable creatures ever to exist.
They are! Even a big can of roach spray can't kill them. They lay down and their legs kick up in the air furiously...only to rise back up again! I speak from experience. Tried vacuuming them but when I tried to throw out the bag, it escaped! Blech. I hate those things. Them and giant dragon flies. They make these noises. Shudder. I hate bugs. Guys should only have to kill them. That's what I do. Grab a guy and make them kill them because I sure can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I've killed one so far. It made a nice crunch nose as I squished it with toilet paper.
I wish you were my neighbor.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:10 PM

2,054 posts, read 986,415 times
Quote:
I've killed one so far. It made a nice crunch noise as I squished it with toilet paper.
Brave person, I salute you.

I don't want to feel their bodies so I usually try to drop a heavy item on them.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 PM

458 posts, read 637,823 times
Quote:
I've killed one so far. It made a nice crunch noise as I squished it with toilet paper.
Wait. That means only a thin piece of toilet paper separated you from the demon? I won't even use a shoe I'm wearing to kill them.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:57 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,095,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Wait. That means only a thin piece of toilet paper separated you from the demon? I won't even use a shoe I'm wearing to kill them.
Luckily I use a thicker double padded toilet paper, it's not as thin as the stuff you see in restaurant bathrooms haha.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 PM

88 posts, read 24,677 times
[quote=BugsyPal;52476715]Looks like those huge roaches are once again moving on up from the ground/basements/se
wers!

Years ago I would find myself walking from Sunset Park to Flatbush in the wee hours of the morning . No cell phones no Uber -- they didn't even have bus times posted back then - so I walked.

As you passed the commercial/storefront blocks --- on only the hottest most humid nights-- you would see them.

The waterbugs came out of the basements and wandered around on the street --looking most probably for "greener pastures" .

Disgusting -- but only on the warmest ,high humidity nights.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 324,520 times
If you think that's bad move down to Florida. They FLY

Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM

4,788 posts, read 4,675,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Found a dead one squashed on the stairs leading to my apartment (private home) the other day. Squashed to the step. Which means I stepped on it. Oh the horror. I had trouble sleeping that night!!!!!

Never had them in any other place I've lived. Granted, I've only had 4 now in 2.5 years but it's still so so so horrifying each time. I would have def screamed like your neighbor.

The ones here don't discriminate. Houses, buildings---whatever.

There is a house that really grosses me out---huge house and the front has a raised garden kind of thing with holes in the brick for drainage purposes and you would not believe the THOUSANDS that come out of there at night.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 AM

2,711 posts, read 968,533 times
I was working the polls one year and we were in a senior facility with large planters in the lobby. Come 8 pm, all the seniors disappeared upstairs and the polls closed at 9 and when it got short on people, THEY crawled out of the planters and roamed the lobby/cafeteria at will. There's always a cop at a polling place and he had on those thick-soled shoes and we (yes, me, too) were squealing like little girls and had our feet up and begged him to step on them and he said Never. Never, ever step on them because you take the eggs home on your shoes. I immediately became European and no longer wear outdoor shoes indoors for any reason.

Now I'll tell you the worst waterbug story I know (and I know a few). They fly here, too, just so you know. Anyway, the H was working at the YMCA, an old one in an outer borough. It was this time of year and each morning there would be complaints from the men's shower because dead waterbugs would be near the drain. H called maintenance, as the only waterbugs that were his problem, being the lifeguard, were any that strayed into the pool. His first duty each morning would be to fish those out with that net thing. So after too many sightings, someone put in a call to their pest control company and the guy says oh, yeah, this is an old building so I have to look in the basement. At which point he pulls up a metal trap in the floor and goes down the stairs. From within the hole you can hear oh my God and up he comes. This trap had been duct taped and then covered with cardboard and then duct taped some more due to sightings.

Anyway, he shows a movie on his phone of the basement, with brown walls - that RIPPLED because there was not one single inch clear of waterbugs. He tells the H that he can't manage alone, and the H, wearing a Speedo and wifebeater and flip flops (work attire) says I'll call maintenance. Who wants to guess which member of maintenance they sent down? Was it the little 4 foot Puerto Rican chick? Yup, it was. With a roll of duct tape.

So the bug man goes down into the hole with his backpack of killing spray, the H gets up on that lifeguard seat and keeps one eye on the very near-sighted young girl, only person in the pool, and the other on the bug massacre. At which point, the guy come flying up out of the hole, trying to close that metal trap - but he can't, because so many waterbugs are pouring out that he get down on his knees and starts using both arms to try and sweep them back in. All the while he's going Ouch ouch because they're BITING him THROUGH HIS SHIRT. The tiny little maintenance chick is in there, using her legs and the cardboard, sweeping them into his arms to push down into the hole and the H is keeping a good watch on the girl in the pool, knowing she's damn near blind without the glasses (she's a regular).

Finally the guy gets the trap door down and starts using the duct tape, while the little maintenance woman is bravely stomping anything still trying to escape. They sweep up, they replace the cardboard and the duct tape, and the guy says he'll be back to check on the situation, but can he take a shower to clean up his bites? They never saw him again.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
If you think that's bad move down to Florida. They FLY
Oh, no...no...no... How can you possibly kill those things? The best thing you can hope for is to chase them away from the premises. Don't know which are worse. Those things or... rats! They're dead even in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City