U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:26 AM

23,269 posts, read 16,114,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm saying that this is a waste of money. They did a similar "beautification" project along the Grand Concourse. The Concourse itself looks ok, but the sidestreets are still filthy and ghetto. When you walk by a building and see bullet holes in the front door, you know you're in the ghetto. Real old school NY right there. lol
Yeah you have to start somewhere in terms of improving things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 AM

20,203 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea they do because Downtown Jamaica sounds corny!
Yea, I think the concept of a downtown is fine, but it’s more interesting when they have specific names like Center City or the Loop.

How long has the downtown part of Jamaica usually called the Avenue? Does that extend out to side blocks and parallel streets or just the one street? Is this common knowledge among NY natives not from around the area?

Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM

20,203 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
Parkchester is where you move when you've "made it", not Riverdale. LMAO

But yes, there's lots of potential but you are not going to push those people out. Tons of supportive housing down there, etc.
Well, it’s not as nice but I think it makes sense to be bullish on it especially for people who buy early and relatively cheaply.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,585,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I think the concept of a downtown is fine, but it’s more interesting when they have specific names like Center City or the Loop.

How long has the downtown part of Jamaica usually called the Avenue? Does that extend out to side blocks and parallel streets or just the one street? Is this common knowledge among NY natives not from around the area?
I believe it extends to the side blocks and parallel streets as well.

It seems to be something that mostly people from the greater Jamaica, Queens area would know. As well as people who spend a lot of time in the area. From my observation, it also seems like a black thing.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,585,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea they do because Downtown Jamaica sounds corny!
I'm not one to embrace corny terms but I don't think Downtown Jamaica is bad. I mean, it does seem to serve as a downtown for the greater Jamaica, Queens area.

"The Ave" is not something I would ever call it because it's a very Jamaica centric term.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 3,487,470 times
Quote:
lol... Good question. Didn't the borough president pour enough money into the area along the Concourse? Now this... I will say though the Hub looks like Downtown Brooklyn back in the old days before it was redone and that's NOT a good thing. It's like the 90s... Filthy, old worn out looking buildings. An eyesore.

They can pump money down there if they want, but that won't get rid of the ghetto people who throw their trash everywhere and do their best to destroy the area that they live in.
If you want to make any place into a downtown, you have to attract private money. Make it attractive for developers to construct new buildings/amenities and companies to move to the area to provide jobs, and it will become a downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

If they are serious, they should re-brand that whole Bronx area into "the Hub", not Bronx Heights or whatever.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:46 PM

5,737 posts, read 5,185,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Without the undesirable element, the Hub has SO much potential.
Yah the Juvenile Center right there with the barb wires around it sure does look beautiful for the tourists

Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM

19,313 posts, read 32,774,221 times
Quote:
I'm saying that this is a waste of money. They did a similar "beautification" project along the Grand Concourse. The Concourse itself looks ok, but the sidestreets are still filthy and ghetto. When you walk by a building and see bullet holes in the front door, you know you're in the ghetto. Real old school NY right there. lol
City can't make the owners of those buildings clean up their mess, they can only do so much when it comes to that

Look at Jamaica, the streets immediately surrounding the post office ain't all that either, I almost got robbed around there once as a teen

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 AM

4,171 posts, read 3,464,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonhd4250 View Post
without the undesirable element, the hub has so much potential. With some building facade remodels, the la central development breaking ground a few yards away, and some new / more relevant office and retail space, it really could become a "downtown bronx" but unfortunately the bold will prevent this from happening.

It saddens me every morning having to walk through that nonsense. People really need to do better for themselves. Stop sh*tting where you eat and sleep. Get a damn job. The street is not a trash can, throw that crap into a trash can or bin.

It's borderline retarded, and i hate using that word. But it's the best word i can describe for this behavior.

What they need to do is let me pocket 1% of that budget so i can put a down payment on a condo in parkchester now, versus in 5 years. :d
that's a better investment than a 10 million dollar project that's not even going to be appreciated by the damn locals.

Where's my damn breakfast?!
+1

Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 AM

235 posts, read 132,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
City can't make the owners of those buildings clean up their mess, they can only do so much when it comes to that

Look at Jamaica, the streets immediately surrounding the post office ain't all that either, I almost got robbed around there once as a teen
I was speaking to a construction worker at The Crossing site the other day and he was saying how bad the neighborhood is. One of his coworkers got pistol whipped by some thug who tried to steal his chain, the cops caught the guy which is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or