U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 653,014 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Does anyone know the backstory as to why many of the lines outside of Manhattan have peak direction express instead of 4 track systems like many other lines in the system (Brighton, Fulton, Queens Blvd for example)

One of the benefits of living by the B/Q is that express is both ways but traveling to Flushing when I was younger never worked in my favor when dealing with the 7 express!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2018, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 653,014 times
Reputation: 989
Sorry about the title. I meant to put Subway Peak Question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM
 
18,276 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Reputation: 11891
Likely for same reasons any railroad chooses when making decisions regarding ROW; cost, availability of space/land and a few other factors.


Even within Manhattan outside of certain express and local stations many lines do not have four tracks. In many cases the express or trains going in one direction are above or below others. The 8th Avenue line for much of its ROW after Columbus Circle going up CPW is like this.


For particulars of each line you can Google history of and you'll find wealth if information regarding planning and so forth. That should answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,128 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Three tracks are less expensive to build and operate than four, and now as in the past, commuter patterns are into Manhattan during the morning and out of Manhattan in the evenings.

As the B/Q has four tracks and the B hits major job and tourist sites, the B train really should be running weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Three tracks are less expensive to build and operate than four, and now as in the past, commuter patterns are into Manhattan during the morning and out of Manhattan in the evenings.

As the B/Q has four tracks and the B hits major job and tourist sites, the B train really should be running weekends.
Yeah I agree about the B, it seems like there's enough demand for it to run on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 03:39 PM
 
18,276 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Reputation: 11891
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I agree about the B, it seems like there's enough demand for it to run on weekends.

That train (B) is a hot mess now on even weeknights thanks to construction. After about 9PM there isn't uptown or Brooklyn service which is a royal pain.


Wednesday night after hanging out in Chelsea didn't feel like walking up to 33rd and taking Q. So just went to 23rd and 8th and figured would take either B or C to CPW and 81st to catch M79.


First train to arrive was an "E" (one of those nice new snazzy ones), so hopped on that because platform was so hot and figured would transfer at 51st and Seventh for the "B". No such luck, last uptown train hit that platform at about 9:20.


After waiting about ten minutes got fed up and got on the next "E" train, took it to 59th and Lexington, and transferred to #6.


Knew there was a reason always walked up to the 33rd street "Q" station; there is just too much GD construction on the 8th Avenue lines; even on weeknights after 9PM things are a crapshoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,296,286 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That train (B) is a hot mess now on even weeknights thanks to construction. After about 9PM there isn't uptown or Brooklyn service which is a royal pain.

Wednesday night after hanging out in Chelsea didn't feel like walking up to 33rd and taking Q. So just went to 23rd and 8th and figured would take either B or C to CPW and 81st to catch M79.

First train to arrive was an "E" (one of those nice new snazzy ones), so hopped on that because platform was so hot and figured would transfer at 51st and Seventh for the "B". No such luck, last uptown train hit that platform at about 9:20.

After waiting about ten minutes got fed up and got on the next "E" train, took it to 59th and Lexington, and transferred to #6.

Knew there was a reason always walked up to the 33rd street "Q" station; there is just too much GD construction on the 8th Avenue lines; even on weeknights after 9PM things are a crapshoot.
The B train runs up 6th Avenue, not 8th Avenue. So at 8th & 23rd, the only trains that stop are the C & E.

In any case, I would check subwaytime.mta.info to see if it's worth transferring between trains, since it shows you how long you have to wait for the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM
 
18,276 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Reputation: 11891
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The B train runs up 6th Avenue, not 8th Avenue. So at 8th & 23rd, the only trains that stop are the C & E.

In any case, I would check subwaytime.mta.info to see if it's worth transferring between trains, since it shows you how long you have to wait for the next one.


Maybe wasn't clear, or you didn't understand.


Got on the "E" at 23rd and 8th and transferred at 53rd (hoping for the "B").


For your information north of 59th street "B" trains run up the 8th avenue line through Harlem then onto the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 653,014 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Three tracks are less expensive to build and operate than four, and now as in the past, commuter patterns are into Manhattan during the morning and out of Manhattan in the evenings.

As the B/Q has four tracks and the B hits major job and tourist sites, the B train really should be running weekends.
True the Q train is crowded all type of hours on the weekends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,919 posts, read 653,014 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That train (B) is a hot mess now on even weeknights thanks to construction. After about 9PM there isn't uptown or Brooklyn service which is a royal pain.


Wednesday night after hanging out in Chelsea didn't feel like walking up to 33rd and taking Q. So just went to 23rd and 8th and figured would take either B or C to CPW and 81st to catch M79.


First train to arrive was an "E" (one of those nice new snazzy ones), so hopped on that because platform was so hot and figured would transfer at 51st and Seventh for the "B". No such luck, last uptown train hit that platform at about 9:20.


After waiting about ten minutes got fed up and got on the next "E" train, took it to 59th and Lexington, and transferred to #6.


Knew there was a reason always walked up to the 33rd street "Q" station; there is just too much GD construction on the 8th Avenue lines; even on weeknights after 9PM things are a crapshoot.
I had this same issue when I had night classes at John Jay so eventually I started walking to 7th ave to take the Q without having to risk the B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top