U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,138 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Reputation: 7578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I was thinking about getting a Costco membership to save on food and others items like toilet papers, etc..
For most non-perishable items Costco is the best
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,550 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For most non-perishable items Costco is the best
If you can fight through the crowds. I'm gonna go to an Aldi's tomorrow, first thing when it opens just to see what it's like. The one in Harlem, when I went it was closed already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
 
581 posts, read 548,042 times
Reputation: 117
Who tried CSA? Community Supported Agriculture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 AM
 
581 posts, read 548,042 times
Reputation: 117
Folks, I went to see the apt again. the super used foam to seal the cracks. He didn't do a good job and the apt had strong chemical smell.
Regalzing the sink and the bathtub would cost $450. I watched a YouTube video and I think I can do it myself. Does it have to be a professional?

I am still undecided on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,550 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Folks, I went to see the apt again. the super used foam to seal the cracks. He didn't do a good job and the apt had strong chemical smell.
Regalzing the sink and the bathtub would cost $450. I watched a YouTube video and I think I can do it myself. Does it have to be a professional?

I am still undecided on this.
I dunno... My advice is to listen to your gut. I wouldn't take that apartment. Most supers are not very good at fixing things. I've had at least four supers, and none of them were any good. As it stands now my super can't even fix the timing with our outside lights, so they come in the morning instead of at night. He keeps telling me it's complicated. I'm tempted to tell him, give me the damn manual and I'll fix it myself, but he's a nice guy so I'm being patient but Jesus Christ. If you're really banking on that super fixing anything, I've got a bridge to sell you. Sounds like that place needs to be gutted. I think you're taking a huge risk doing the work yourself. You have to think about what happens if you damage something. I don't know of any lease where you're not on the hook if you do something that is outside of "ordinary" wear and tear, so that $450 could be much more. I wouldn't risk it. Keep looking. There are TONS of other places in that price range or lower in MUCH better shape. Suck it up and deal with a slightly longer commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 435,697 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I dunno... My advice is to listen to your gut. I wouldn't take that apartment. Most supers are not very good at fixing things. I've had at least four supers, and none of them were any good. As it stands now my super can't even fix the timing with our outside lights, so they come in the morning instead of at night. He keeps telling me it's complicated. I'm tempted to tell him, give me the damn manual and I'll fix it myself, but he's a nice guy so I'm being patient but Jesus Christ. If you're really banking on that super fixing anything, I've got a bridge to sell you. Sounds like that place needs to be gutted. I think you're taking a huge risk doing the work yourself. You have to think about what happens if you damage something. I don't know of any lease where you're not on the hook if you do something that is outside of "ordinary" wear and tear, so that $450 could be much more. I wouldn't risk it. Keep looking. There are TONS of other places in that price range or lower in MUCH better shape. Suck it up and deal with a slightly longer commute.
This is hilarious, almost fell out of my chair laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,143 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If you can fight through the crowds. I'm gonna go to an Aldi's tomorrow, first thing when it opens just to see what it's like. The one in Harlem, when I went it was closed already.


pierrepont,


Do the E. 117th St ALDI's I think you might be impressed with the prices...if not the "Organic." (Bring a quarter to unlock a cart.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,550 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
This is hilarious, almost fell out of my chair laughing.
Every morning I walk out and see them on I have to chuckle to myself. Waste of electricity. Meanwhile we have other buildings that the super maintains and the lights come on at night as they should, but we have to enter into the vestibule area in the dark.

Thank God there's a street light and lights on next door. I live in an area where you can see possums and raccoons at night. A few days ago I was walking down the street and I go and look and see three things running from the recycling and garbage that had been put out. First I thought they were stray cats, but upon looking at them better in the light, they were raccoons!! I said holy cow!! They do not play. They can be pretty nasty. I'm sure there are also skunks in the area because I can smell that odor from time to time on certain blocks. Years ago in college, one of our dorm mates was sprayed by a skunk while he was camping with his girlfriend. The guy smelled horrible for at least two weeks. We couldn't bare to be around him. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 435,697 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Every morning I walk out and see them on I have to chuckle to myself. Waste of electricity. Meanwhile we have other buildings that the super maintains and the lights come on at night as they should, but we have to enter into the vestibule area in the dark.

Thank God there's a street light and lights on next door. I live in an area where you can see possums and raccoons at night. A few days ago I was walking down the street and I go and look and see three things running from the recycling and garbage that had been put out. First I thought they were stray cats, but upon looking at them better in the light, they were raccoons!! I said holy cow!! They do not play. They can be pretty nasty. I'm sure there are also skunks in the area because I can smell that odor from time to time on certain blocks. Years ago in college, one of our dorm mates was sprayed by a skunk while he was camping with his girlfriend. The guy smelled horrible for at least two weeks. We couldn't bare to be around him. lol
this keeps getting better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,143 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Reputation: 9029
I can't make the annual fee pay. For me, it is worth it only if I am buying a big ticket item.
But I am shopping a 65 inch TV so maybe a membership is in the cards again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top