U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM

581 posts, read 585,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why didn't anyone warn me to make some popcorn before I read this thread
I am glad you found it entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM

8,036 posts, read 5,236,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why didn't anyone warn me to make some popcorn before I read this thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

that is really not true anymore as far as people staying and through the years rents and capital improvements in buildings have brought rents up close to or at market .
This is what I was referring to. Rent stabilized apartments are not affordable anymore. A RS studio is close to $3500 but that is the market rate for a studio anyway.

so what do you think a long term solution would be? other than buying an apt? I guess I would have to keep looking for RS apts that are within my budget.

This is why I don't want to live with a roommate. They stay for a short period of time then they move out.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM

26 posts, read 8,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Jessie, did you really make an account to ask where I ended up in 2009? well, if that is true, since you asked, I ended up listening to a friend's advice who advised me to apply for a women residence in Manhattan and both of us got approved. It has been a wonderful experience but things have changed dramatically since last year and a new management came to kick all the residents out. It is heart breaking because one of the residents in an 83 year old woman who is being kicked out of her place. She has been living there for 40 years.

I don't really remember much from my other thread of 2009. Heck, I don't even remember what I ate two days ago. Bay Ridge is really far and I had some health issues so commute was a problem at that time. This time, I am really hoping to find a place to stay long term. I am tired of having to look for a place every few years. If you are looking for an affordable place in Manhattan, I can PM you the name of that residence.
I did! I've been meaning to make an account anyway now that I'm caught up in the lottery housing game. But I was just really curious since your situation seemed so difficult. Glad it worked out! Hope you find something long term. There are a lot of rent stabilized buildings out there, and if you don't mind something a little older and run down, they can be a good place to end up.

While there are some rent stabilized apartments that are expensive (a $3500 studio would only be in one of the new affordable housing units, because any older RS apartments stop being subject to the RS guidelines after $2800), there are still many that are very affordable. I viewed a place yesterday in Park Slope for $1550.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1451 View Post
I did! I've been meaning to make an account anyway now that I'm caught up in the lottery housing game. But I was just really curious since your situation seemed so difficult. Glad it worked out! Hope you find something long term. There are a lot of rent stabilized buildings out there, and if you don't mind something a little older and run down, they can be a good place to end up.

While there are some rent stabilized apartments that are expensive (a $3500 studio would only be in one of the new affordable housing units, because any older RS apartments stop being subject to the RS guidelines after $2800), there are still many that are very affordable. I viewed a place yesterday in Park Slope for $1550.
I don't mind an old building at all. I have seen studios in buildings that were built in 1890. lol. Problem with those buildings is asbestos.
A RS apt in Park Slope for $1550 seems very good. I hope you find a good apt. If you are looking for just two years, the residence in Manhattan would be a good option and it is affordable.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:03 AM

70,898 posts, read 71,245,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1451 View Post

the irony is a 3500 dollar studio and 5500 dollar 2 bedroom are not going to be very affordable ha ha . i love the chrystie st development but the rents are insane but they are stabilized .

The Chrystie - 229 Chrystie St, New York, NY 10002

Old 07-25-2018, 07:02 AM

11,235 posts, read 21,672,010 times
Quote:
Jessie, did you really make an account to ask where I ended up in 2009? well, if that is true, since you asked, I ended up listening to a friend's advice who advised me to apply for a women residence in Manhattan and both of us got approved. It has been a wonderful experience but things have changed dramatically since last year and a new management came to kick all the residents out. It is heart breaking because one of the residents in an 83 year old woman who is being kicked out of her place. She has been living there for 40 years.
This sounds like my brother-in-law's elderly relative, who has been living in The Brandon, a women's only SRO on the Upper West Side on Riverside Dr. for decades. It is closing because the building was purchased, and they have told the long-term residents there that they will help them with relocation. Is this the place you're talking about?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This sounds like my brother-in-law's elderly relative, who has been living in The Brandon, a women's only SRO on the Upper West Side on Riverside Dr. for decades. It is closing because the building was purchased, and they have told the long-term residents there that they will help them with relocation. Is this the place you're talking about?
Thanks, Henna! It is true that the Brandon has closed permanently. No, this is not my place but my place is very similar to the Brandon. the building is not being purchased but they are just kicking all of us out. Do you have any advice I can give to this lady? I met her yesterday and she was depressed. I don't know how to help her. She is considering applying to a senior citizen place but I know that the management is terrible there, I was thinking about telling her but that would make her even more depressed. I mean is it really legal for them to kick out an elderly woman like that? As for me, the broker told me yesterday that the studio mentioned in this thread is already rented and I am really upset.

Last edited by safina1; 07-25-2018 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 08:37 AM

11,235 posts, read 21,672,010 times
Quote:
Thanks, Henna! It is true that the Brandon has closed permanently. No, this is not my place but my place is very similar to the Brandon. the building is not being purchased but they are just kicking all of us out. Do you have any advice I can give to this lady? I met her yesterday and she was depressed. I don't know how to help her. She is considering applying to a senior citizen place but I know that the management is terrible there, I was thinking about telling her but that was would make her more depressed. I mean is it really legal for them to kick out an elderly woman like that? As for me, the broker told me yesterday that the studio mentioned in this thread is already rented and I am really upset.
I suppose she can do some research as to where the Brandon residents are going to be relocated and then try to get a place there. As far as I know, the relocation hasn't happened yet. I think the new place is in East Harlem. Even if the spaces are reserved mainly for the displaced Brandon residents, I imagine with that kind of age bracket among the residents that there must be deaths all the time, opening up rooms for others.

And yes, if you're not rent stabilized in NYC or own your own place, you can be told to leave at any time at the end of your lease. Or if you're month to month with no lease, you can be given 30 days notice. No one has the right to remain in their home forever unless they have some sort of protection like stabilization or home ownership.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I suppose she can do some research as to where the Brandon residents are going to be relocated and then try to get a place there. As far as I know, the relocation hasn't happened yet. I think the new place is in East Harlem. Even if the spaces are reserved mainly for the displaced Brandon residents, I imagine with that kind of age bracket among the residents that there must be deaths all the time, opening up rooms for others.

And yes, if you're not rent stabilized in NYC or own your own place, you can be told to leave at any time at the end of your lease. Or if you're month to month with no lease, you can be given 30 days notice. No one has the right to remain in their home forever unless they have some sort of protection like stabilization or home ownership.
The freaking nuns won't let this woman die in peace. I want to send them and their new management a nasty email before I leave. Is it illegal to do that? I am serious. I am asking this question because they deal with us through their lawyers, they won't even speak to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or