Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 03:14 PM

11,192 posts, read 9,020,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Can you shut up? yes, I am getting all thick? what is your effing problem?
You are going to get too swole eating $800.00 of food, bru. Walk sideways through doors..swole..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:17 PM

582 posts, read 759,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The thing is I don't want to do any of those places where I have to pay a yearly membership fee. I may go to Shop Rite and Target in Queens to look for those meatballs. lol I haven't had them in over year. Target has some good deals too, especially on cereal.
I was thinking about getting a Costco membership to save on food and others items like toilet papers, etc..

Old 07-19-2018, 03:20 PM

582 posts, read 759,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You are going to get too swole eating $800.00 of food, bru. Walk sideways through doors..swole..
so you better watch out, Bru! Stay the hell out of my way!
Interesting! A rude Aussie! that is a first!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
I was thinking about getting a Costco membership to save on food and others items like toilet papers, etc..
I may reconsider it myself, but I hear that the stores are pure hell with long lines, etc. My girlfriend goes during off hours to the one in Harlem, which likely allows her to get and out fast (I never go with her, but she sent me once to go to the Target and the Aldi's and I hated it). Really out of the way, and most of what I wanted to get in Target they didn't have. One of the best Target's is in Queens and I'm not saying where since it's my little place, but they keep the shelves well stocked and the prices are good.

She goes via Uber. You can really save some money doing all three, especially if you can get a quick ride home. I usually frown upon places like Aldi and Costco, but I'm not going to lie... The pesto from Costco is really tasty and we go through a jar like that putting pesto on sandwiches and anything else we can find an excuse to use it for. lol Aldi's has these organic cereals for like $2.00 I think that are amazing. It's like pumpkin granola or something. I ate a whole box in one sitting. It's 10 oz tops (I was wrong - 11.5 oz), but for $2.00 you can't beat it. This is it:

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/...-flax-granola/

By comparison, there's one in Whole Foods for $3.99 I think that isn't nearly as good and roughly the same size. Aldi's apparently offers you a virtual tour. I'm having a look now. Looks like all of their cereals are $1.99.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-19-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,496 times
Quote:
I think I have to agree. I think $150 per week is a more reasonable budget. I go to Whole Foods usually twice a week and spend about $75.00 - 100.00 per visit most of the time. Organic veggies are expensive as is meat, and I don't waste anything. I buy enough to last for three to four days and then I go again during the week for small things. I also do like to eat out on occasion, and I don't think you should deprive yourself of eating good food. You have to have some good pleasures in life.

I don't see it as a rat hole at all. Don't get angry at me for my comments. I simply voiced my opinion about you being young and not having to be obsessed with making money off of every penny you get. Then you explained your upbringing, etc., and I said that I understood. That said, quite frankly, I would NEVER hire a financial advisor to tell me how to spend my money. You should be more upset that you're blowing money on that, not what you leave leftover in your checking account. I watch several financial shows (e.g. Fast Money, Options Actions, The Closing Bell, etc.) and watch them religiously to see what's going on with the market and to study trends, but I don't need some advisor to tell me how to manage my money. I also don't trust anybody handling my money, especially with all of the Ponzi schemes out there. As far as I'm concerned, financial advisors have their own interests in mind, which is maximizing how much they can charge their clients to "manage" their money.
You seem to have some weird chip on your shoulder and/or you’re constantly trying to keep up with “the Joneses”. When posters comment about their financial well-being or general upper/upper middle class social economic status, your reaction is to somehow belittle them, their achievements or their decisions. That is telling about how you may feel about where you sit in this social hierarchy...

Financial planners are not always expensive. The cost for the company I use is minor compared to my monthly take home. This particular company charges you per month based on your base income. The advice is good and I can choose to do or not do what he suggests. I maintain control of my accounts and am actually the one moving or investing any assets via Vanguard. If I find value in a service or offering, I am not “throwing my money away” using it.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You seem to have some weird chip on your shoulder and/or you’re constantly trying to keep up with “the Joneses”. When posters comment about their financial well-being or general upper/upper middle class social economic status, your reaction is to somehow belittle them, their achievements or their decisions. That is telling about how you may feel about where you sit in this social hierarchy...

Financial planners are not always expensive. The cost for the company I use is minor compared to my monthly take home. This particular company charges you per month based on your base income. The advice is good and I can choose to do or not do what he suggests. I maintain control of my accounts and am actually the one moving or investing any assets via Vanguard. If I find value in a service or offering, I am not “throwing my money away” using it.
LOL I'm not trying to keep up with anybody. It's pretty simple. I know what I like and what I don't like and that's what I go off of. I'm not sure if you think that I'm envious of you, but I can assure you that I'm not. (Hell, I don't even know you.) In fact, I'm happy for you. You're young and you're doing great financially, and I hope everything works out for you. I am simply expressing what I like and don't like, and yes I am blunt about it. I wouldn't take it personally though. That's my personality.

You don't like it when people express their opinion about you, but yet you're doing it right now, so it's like the pot calling the kettle black...

Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,496 times
Quote:
While I agree with you that people should save on food and shopping for weekly specials, I don't think a $50 - $75 grocery budget per week for one person is possible.it can be done but most likely it is going to be an unhealthy diet.
No not at all. If you cook your meals from scratch, Baseline ingredients are cheap. Eggs, rice, potatoes, canned goods, pastas, beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes (canned is fine) bread, milk, in season veggies and fruit, frozen veggies even cheaper. Meat is expensive but chicken will be the cheapest animal based protein. You can buy “family packs” of chicken thighs, which is like 10 servings, for less than $5. Assuming you already have staples like spices, stock, flour, and other condiments used for flavoring food (and those things are a “buy once” last for months) it’s ptetty inexpensive to feed one average weight person. Again, this assumes you are cooking the meals from scratch and aren’t buying prepared foods or frozen meals. You also have to stick to general, not organic, goods.

Now, a lot of people don’t like cooking, especially from scratch. They prefer the ease of buying ready made or nearly ready made food. Nothing wrong with that but it will increase the grocery bill.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No not at all. If you cook your meals from scratch, Baseline ingredients are cheap. Eggs, rice, potatoes, canned goods, pastas, beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes (canned is fine) bread, milk, in season veggies and fruit, frozen veggies even cheaper. Meat is expensive but chicken will be the cheapest animal based protein. You can buy “family packs” of chicken thighs, which is like 10 servings, for less than $5. Assuming you already have staples like spices, stock, flour, and other condiments used for flavoring food (and those things are a “buy once” last for months) it’s ptetty inexpensive to feed one average weight person. Again, this assumes you are cooking the meals from scratch and aren’t buying prepared foods or frozen meals. You also have to stick to general, not organic, goods.

Now, a lot of people don’t like cooking, especially from scratch. They prefer the ease of buying ready made or nearly ready made food. Nothing wrong with that but it will increase the grocery bill.
That explains how you would get lower bills because organic veggies and fruit definitely cost more.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,892,101 times
I amass the weekly ads for Key FOod (in my building), C-Town, Fairway (though rare), Rite Aide and CVS and always include a trip to Dollar Tree and consider the produce prices of the three or four street stand in my radius.
My cooking for the week depends on what is on sale.

If pork is cheap I will not be cooking beef dishes.

I KNOW I can always get boneless chicken breasts for $1.99 a couple times a month, so I will not pay $2.99/lb just so I can make a vindalloo TONIGHT. Beautiful center cut pork chops should cost $2.19 so I won't buy them when they are higher.
Of course, it costs me half my cerebral storage space to remember all this crap.

I consider getting the BEST price on everything a good game, food, entertainment, cars, housing, EVERYTHING. I am unhappy when I find something at less than the price I paid. It comes from my parents enlessly fighting over the same thing: MONEY, or rather the lack of it. I learned the lesson well: LACK of money is the root of all evil.
Like Scarlett O'Hara famously said "I'll never be poor again."

Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 AM

33,517 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
The thing is I don't want to do any of those places where I have to pay a yearly membership fee.
Why not?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City